257 Wby

thillman

FNG
Recently scooped up a 257 Weatherby and have been feeling quite confident with it shooting 100 gr TTSX out of it to about 400 yards or so. I have a cow elk hunt coming up in October and have been told by a few people its more then plenty to anchor a cow. Just looking for a little info/experiences from those who have killed elk with the 257 and if its a viable option for cows?

Thanks,
T

MT257

WKR
I have two 257 wby's. I've taken my share of elk with 110 accoubonds. If you put your bullet where it needs to go, I have found that they normally don't take another step. You will be fine , I wouldn't hesitate to take a bull withe the 257.

Wileym20

FNG
I’ve never shot an elk with one, but I anchored a big Eland bull in south Texas last winter with one. 110 grain accubonds at 450 yards, he didn’t go 50 yards. I’d definitely be confident shooting an elk with my .257 wby.

Total side track but isn't ammo for thosr super expensive? I've been thinking of building a smaller caliber rifle and yall got me interested.

It'll absolutely kill elk though, to answer your question. No first hand experience but killed nany with a 270 very easily. Food aint bulletproof.

Wileym20

FNG
Idaho4x4bronco, yeah ammo is pretty high. Like most Weatherby ammo unfortunately. I’ve actually been thinking of building a 7mm Wby, but my 2 .257’s shoot so good I haven’t had the need to build anything different. Guess I need to book a moose hunt lol.

MT257

WKR
Total side track but isn't ammo for thosr super expensive? I've been thinking of building a smaller caliber rifle and yall got me interested.

It'll absolutely kill elk though, to answer your question. No first hand experience but killed nany with a 270 very easily. Food aint bulletproof.
If you reload it’s rather reasonable to shoot. I can load 257 for much less than $1 a round. But I also had supplies from before the current supply prices.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG

It’s pricey but in today’s day and age it’s about on par with other magnum factory load prices.