257 Weatherby for Moose?

alaska80

FNG
It will do the job on moose assuming you are not taking a 300+ yard shot. It would be the bears in moose country that would give me reason to evaluate my choice more closely.

hodgeman

WKR
Viable? Yeah, you could get there from here. Heck, Roy Weatherby did all sorts of weird stuff with the .257 up to a Cape buffalo.

That said- there are dozens and dozens of better choices to hunt moose with.

OP
STK-300

STK-300

Lil-Rokslider
I feel confident shooting it and that I can properly place my shot. It's my preferred rifle. My thought is that if some hunters use 308's, my 257 should work fine.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree^^^^^.

I have a 257 Weatherby, and have used it very effectively for clean kills with several good-sized spring black bears over the years. I handload 100grn TSX's, and they hold together exceptionally well at those laser-beam muzzle velocities...all the kills were DRT. One nearly seven-footer dropped right in place with a heart shot, as if someone unplugged him, and he never moved again once hit. I really do like that cartridge, and it is extremely accurate in my rifle.

That said, (as mentioned by others) it is not my personal choice for moose hunting, and stays in my gun-safe during moose season...that is a personal choice of course. I just feel that there are more applicable cartridges and caliber alternatives that are more appropriate choices for fall moose hunts up here. No offense...to each his own...we all make our own choices.

OP
STK-300

STK-300

Lil-Rokslider
It will do the job on moose assuming you are not taking a 300+ yard shot. It would be the bears in moose country that would give me reason to evaluate my choice more closely.
your right, the brown bears could be an issue. But I have a friend from Alaska and he claims that he never used anything bigger than a Ruger M77 270 win, which he still has and uses to hunt. in fact, its the only rifle he has..

OP
STK-300

STK-300

Lil-Rokslider
I agree^^^^^.

I have a 257 Weatherby, and have used it very effectively for clean kills with several good-sized spring black bears over the years. I handload 100grn TSX's, and they hold together exceptionally well at those laser-beam muzzle velocities...all the kills were DRT. One nearly seven-footer dropped right in place with a heart shot, as if someone unplugged him, and he never moved again once hit. I really do like that cartridge, and it is extremely accurate in my rifle.

That said, (as mentioned by others) it is not my personal choice for moose hunting, and stays in my gun-safe during moose season...that is a personal choice of course. I just feel that there are more applicable cartridges and caliber alternatives that are more appropriate choices for fall moose hunts up here. No offense...to each his own...we all make our own choices.
I recently picked up some hammer bullets that shoot very tight groups. I have not tried them in the field yet. TSX's are my mainstay.

I would highly recommend a larger caliber with more bullet weight, but you can get it done with a .257 Weatherby.

I've killed more than a couple hundred Alaska/Yukon bull moose and believe me, they're not difficult to kill. Two or three bullets placed immediately behind the shoulder, halfway between brisket and withers, will dispatch any Alaska/Yukon bull in short order.

However, with a caliber as small as a .257 Weatherby, with that amount of velocity, you would be smart to use the heaviest cup-and-core type bullet you can find.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I think the 257 Weatherby is a great caliber for a lot of applications, but for moose I believe a larger caliber choice would do the animal justice.

FEENIX

FNG
is a 257 Weatherby a viable caliber for Moose?
If you have the right barrel twist, you now have plenty of heavy high BC bullets. I built my .257 WBY (1:7") to primarily propel the BJ 131s, Berger 133s/135s, and the Black Hole145s. The heavy .25 cal bullets are a game changer. Below is the 145:

Black Hole 145 1 of 2.jpg

Good luck on your hunt.

Ed

Moose are not difficult to kill. The .257 Roberts and .257 Weatherby and .270 Winchester will easily kill Alaska/Yukon moose.