.257 weatheryby magnum problems

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been meaning to post on this thread, but swamped with Rokslide stuff. I didn't read all the posts, so this may have been covered.

I own the exact same rifle but in 7mm Rem Mag. I experienced everything you did with not much more than about 2.5" groups. I sent it to WBY and they sent me a new gun!

I did the standard Premo ammo sight in with that gun and got better than 2" but still not the 1.5" they guarantee. I can't afford to shoot that stuff and really started working on handloads

I gave no regard to bullet choice and tried a bunch. I finally found the recipe and it was what HellsCanyon said, seating depth. I had to go to max then back off a few thousanths at a time. I ended up shooting a Speer bullet, which is fine for a deer hunter, and a gun that will hold great groups around an inch with low Standard Deviation. That formula is located on our home page at
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...rifles-performance-through-standard-deviation

My ananlysis on WBY is that they are a solid gun, well built, great function, but are not the accuracy kings they once were, especially in the lighter weight guns. I grew up around them in the 80's when a 1.5" group was awesome, but they've lost that edge now. Still love the gun, though.

Good info Robby! I had not seen this article previously... Any time you can take the subjectivity out of things it makes decisions easier. I think this makes a lot of sense.

Coop

I've been meaning to post on this thread, but swamped with Rokslide stuff. I didn't read all the posts, so this may have been covered.

I own the exact same rifle but in 7mm Rem Mag. I experienced everything you did with not much more than about 2.5" groups. I sent it to WBY and they sent me a new gun!

I did the standard Premo ammo sight in with that gun and got better than 2" but still not the 1.5" they guarantee. I can't afford to shoot that stuff and really started working on handloads

I gave no regard to bullet choice and tried a bunch. I finally found the recipe and it was what HellsCanyon said, seating depth. I had to go to max then back off a few thousanths at a time. I ended up shooting a Speer bullet, which is fine for a deer hunter, and a gun that will hold great groups around an inch with low Standard Deviation. That formula is located on our home page at
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...rifles-performance-through-standard-deviation

My ananlysis on WBY is that they are a solid gun, well built, great function, but are not the accuracy kings they once were, especially in the lighter weight guns. I grew up around them in the 80's when a 1.5" group was awesome, but they've lost that edge now. Still love the gun, though.

Ouch Robby, I'm bumming out.

I just dropped off to the gunsmith a brand new Wetherby Mark V, Ultra Lightweight in 7mm Rem Mag to mount a Swarovski, Z5 5-25x52 with a custom Outdoorsman ballistic turret on it later after I zero it in. I've never reloaded before so I'm just going to try some Hornady, 7mm Rem Mag 139 gr GMX® Superformance®.

If it shoots as bad as is sounds with all this that I'm reading above, I'll be hunting this year with my old Winchester model 70, 30-06 some more or just shoot shorter distances until I can figure it all out.....

Ouch Robby, I'm bumming out.

I just dropped off to the gunsmith a brand new Wetherby Mark V, Ultra Lightweight in 7mm Rem Mag to mount a Swarovski, Z5 5-25x52 with a custom Outdoorsman ballistic turret on it later after I zero it in. I've never reloaded before so I'm just going to try some Hornady, 7mm Rem Mag 139 gr GMX® Superformance®.

If it shoots as bad as is sounds with all this that I'm reading above, I'll be hunting this year with my old Winchester model 70, 30-06 some more or just shoot shorter distances until I can figure it all out.....

As stated before, If I were you I would get your smith the file off the pressure point while he has your gun or do it yourself when you get it back. My 300wby Mark V UL shoots like a dream after removing the pressure point. And your going to love the Swaro BT. The pic of the target is a 3 shot 100m group shot prone off of a snipe pod bipod. 180grn TSX @ 3225ft/sec. I consistently shoot a .5 MOA or less 3 shot group at 100M with this set up.

IMG_6878.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hmm, thanks Todd. That grouping is very nice. I'd be more than happy with that at least shooting prone. I read that part of the thread above that you wrote earlier about the pressure point and just read Robby's article that I had missed until now a couple times just now too. Just trying to understand the pressure point dilemma and soak it all in still in what I might be in for. Reloading should be in my future as well. I'm learning though and this post and thread is much appreciated to all that have provided their feedback here on this thread. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin,
don't be bummed out, they are great rifles. I just think they need more tuning than we might like.

That first rifle I sent back obviously had some problems and Weatherby replaced it no-questions-asked.

I'd get the gun back and shoot it before I'd worry too much. They all have personalities and might shoot great. If not, there's tons on this thread you can try.

Thanks Coop on the article comments. I about got gray hair writing it!

Kevin,
don't be bummed out, they are great rifles. I just think they need more tuning than we might like.

That first rifle I sent back obviously had some problems and Weatherby replaced it no-questions-asked.

I'd get the gun back and shoot it before I'd worry too much. They all have personalities and might shoot great. If not, there's tons on this thread you can try.

Thanks Coop on the article comments. I about got gray hair writing it!

Thanks Robby, actually after reading your articles, blog ect.. and all the talk on the forum it's actually inspired me to try reloading. I've wanted to get into it but have been intimidated a bit to be honest. Math was not a very strong subject for me in school.

Shrek

WKR
Kevin , it's easy once you do it a couple of times. You don't need the most expensive stuff to make good ammo but there are some things that are all hype and others are all go. It adds a lot of satisfaction to my hunting and shooting to roll my own ammo.

Kevin , it's easy once you do it a couple of times. You don't need the most expensive stuff to make good ammo but there are some things that are all hype and others are all go. It adds a lot of satisfaction to my hunting and shooting to roll my own ammo.

Thanks for the encouragement. It looks like a learning process, and I'm sure I'll find some trial, error and that hype you mentioned but it's something challenging and challenges take a bit of boredom off the table. Several threads and articles out there along with this one, Darin Coopers rifle build have me motivated to give it a whirl.