26" .284 proof barrel need cartridge help

Djacker

WKR
So guys I've got a proof research 26" .284 sendaro light barrel burning a hole in my pocket. Wondering what caliber you would turn it into? Looking for a light rifle when it's all said and done. Pretty sure I'll use a lone peak razor titanium action, unless someone points me in a different direction. This will be a hunting rig, biggest game would be an elk. Thanks for the info.

Apollo117

WKR
6.5 PRC is likely your best bet for factory ammo availability or brass availability. If you hand load then the 6.5 WSM or 6.5 Rem Mag would be good choices too. I haven't looked closely at the 26 Nosler, but the comments I've read about have been positive.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
6.5 PRC is likely your best bet for factory ammo availability or brass availability. If you hand load then the 6.5 WSM or 6.5 Rem Mag would be good choices too. I haven't looked closely at the 26 Nosler, but the comments I've read about have been positive.

I think the 6.5mm bullet would rattle around quite a bit in a .284 barrel...

If someone gave me a .284 barrel I would make it a 7 RUM or 7SAUM depending on the action length I had. Or go old school with a 7mm STW.

Apollo117

WKR
I think the 6.5mm bullet would rattle around quite a bit in a .284 barrel...

If someone gave me a .284 barrel I would make it a 7 RUM or 7SAUM depending on the action length I had. Or go old school with a 7mm STW.
Shoot. Good catch. I never was good at reading comprehension.

My new suggestions are 7 STW or 7 RUM. I'd suggest 7 Mag due to ubiquity, but I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking for suggestions if you wanted something as plain as the 7 Mag.

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
Agreed, I dont think my barrel would like that to much. I do reload, granted I'm new to that too,as well as long range shooting. I currently dont have an action, sonim open to suggestions. I appreciate the info.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
So guys I've got a proof research 26" .284 sendaro light barrel burning a hole in my pocket. Wondering what caliber you would turn it into? Looking for a light rifle when it's all said and done. Pretty sure I'll use a lone peak razor titanium action, unless someone points me in a different direction. This will be a hunting rig, biggest game would be an elk. Thanks for the info.

Lone Peak are awesome, I went with one for my build. I'd look into 7mm STW if I were you. Or 7mm SAUM if you want a short action. No personal experience but good second hand reviews (I'm a .30 guy myself).

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
I guess what sends me away from 28 nosler is the brass, do damn expensive. I have a 300 win mag, but when the wife says go ahead and build a new gun. I'm going to build a new gun!!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For me it would depend on how far you want to shoot and which bullet. For 168 grain bullets at 5-600 yards max I would choose the trusty 7 rem mag.

For bigger bullets or longer distances I would go with the 7-300 win mag or 28 Nosler.

I personally think the 7 RUM has too big a case for the diameter and you are just wasting powder when you should probably go with a larger caliber. Just my opinion.

Rob5589

WKR
I love the trusty 7 Rem mag. With an 8 twist, use a 180 for as far as you'd want to shoot. A .280 ai would make a nice elk slayer as well. For the sa side, no experience with the saum but have shot with guys that dig it. A 7mm/08 ai with some 2000mr and a 140-160 would make for a nice handy rifle.

I vote 7 saum in a medium action. If you want a light gun, you get a shorter action to help with weight and a reasonable sized case that hits a sweet spot in the balance of performance, recoil, and barrel life. More capacity gets to be harder to manage the recoil in a light package. That and the 7 saum is well known as an inherently accurate cartridge, evidenced by its popularity in bench rest.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I love the trusty 7 Rem mag. With an 8 twist, use a 180 for as far as you'd want to shoot. A .280 ai would make a nice elk slayer as well. For the sa side, no experience with the saum but have shot with guys that dig it. A 7mm/08 ai with some 2000mr and a 140-160 would make for a nice handy rifle.
I love the 7 Rem Mag too, as it was my first big game rifle, but if I were building from a .284 blank I would definitely choose a beltless case. .280 Improved is a good call for realistic big game shooting. I'd be tempted by 28 Nosler. I'd hardly shoot it after load development so brass cost wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Almost everyone I know shooting a SAUM case shoots it from a long action because they're loading max length bullets (6.5/7).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
7 Rem mag throated for 180 Bergers would do everything you'd ever want, with tons of brass options.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on getting good at long range shooting you'll want a lot of practice, for that reason I'd absolutely avoid overbore cartridges like the 28 Nos. Plus they recoil like a 300 WM, I had one and was not impressed.
A 7 saum throated for 180's is my recommendation, I'd use a tikka action the two are made for each other.
I shoot a 7-300wsm and love it, I wish I'd just gone with a saum though.. No case forming and super high quality brass is available from ADG