26" .284 proof barrel need cartridge help

WKR
This is a great thread. I am rebarreling my 7mm, just waiting on the barrel. Not sure if I should stick to the 7mm or try a different caliber for more speed. I like the looks of 7mm/300 but I just have everything to reload for a 7mm. On a side note I built my 6.5 SAUM on a long action and can load the bullets as far out there as I want. If you want to build a 7 SAUM and not worry about seating depth.

Shrek

WKR
I think you will be very happy with the 7 SAUM. I would talk to your smith to be sure it’s throated for the bullets and magazine length. Personally the Fuzion medium action would be ideal for the SAUM. Throat it for 180 Bergers.

You didn't specify the bolt face size. I like the .284 win. I have a NULA with 28" and it gives 3100 fps with 154 Hor, and 2850-2900 with 175.

Rockin'A

FNG
ill be building a 7 saum this year on a rem 700 donor action with a proof barrel. i know a couple of guys that shoot them, they love um. So i figured I'd get rid of my Kimber 300wm and up grade... didn't care for the recoil of the 300 either, not in these light guns for toting around the mountains.

khuber84

WKR
Richard Sherman wildcat 7 short mag max, utilizing 7 saum as parent case, forms like an ackley crush fit, has 78gr capacity, runs 180s upto 3100fps, 195s at 2950. If your not wanting to fireform and get max fps with short throat life, go 28 nosler. Personally if I were making the choice and wanted standard mag speeds I'd run standard 7mag, using adg brass which holds pressure very well, you'll get north of 3000fps with a 24" tube and RL26 or N570 powder with 180s or 175 Bergers. I have a 26" sendero 1:8 proof 7mm barrel in the safe.......I'm up in the air as well. Look at long range hunting forum, pretty sure this question has been asked with 100s of responses there. I actually really like the 7 blaser mag, it's basically a 7mm wsm with a long neck. Or an elongated 7 saum, has a case length of 2.3" and holds about 82gr.

Richard Sherman wildcat 7 short mag max, utilizing 7 saum as parent case, forms like an ackley crush fit, has 78gr capacity, runs 180s upto 3100fps, 195s at 2950. If your not wanting to fireform and get max fps with short throat life, go 28 nosler. Personally if I were making the choice and wanted standard mag speeds I'd run standard 7mag, using adg brass which holds pressure very well, you'll get north of 3000fps with a 24" tube and RL26 or N570 powder with 180s or 175 Bergers. I have a 26" sendero 1:8 proof 7mm barrel in the safe.......I'm up in the air as well. Look at long range hunting forum, pretty sure this question has been asked with 100s of responses there. I actually really like the 7 blaser mag, it's basically a 7mm wsm with a long neck. Or an elongated 7 saum, has a case length of 2.3" and holds about 82gr.

That Blaser mag is intriguing for sure in the Tikka builds..

khuber84

WKR
That Blaser mag is intriguing for sure in the Tikka builds..
Indeed it is. Especially on the improved version with a 37° shoulder and less taper. I gave the base to shoulder measurement to Mike Johnson at hells canyon, he said it will fit in his new billet magazine that allows for an oal of 3.4". That's about perfect with a 180 Berger seated with bearing surface at the neck/shoulder junction.

deadwolf

WKR
I think you will be very happy with the 7 SAUM. I would talk to your smith to be sure it’s throated for the bullets and magazine length. Personally the Fuzion medium action would be ideal for the SAUM. Throat it for 180 Bergers.

I’ll second this, my 7 saum is built on a LP Fuzion TI medium, .140 of freebore, only a 22” barrel though : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 6.5mm bullet would rattle around quite a bit in a .284 barrel...

If someone gave me a .284 barrel I would make it a 7 RUM or 7SAUM depending on the action length I had. Or go old school with a 7mm STW.
IF I were to build a new .284 rifle for hunting it would be a 7mm Weatherby Mag, the ONLY downside is brass, otherwise it's a handloader's dream

I love the trusty 7 Rem mag. With an 8 twist, use a 180 for as far as you'd want to shoot. A .280 ai would make a nice elk slayer as well. For the sa side, no experience with the saum but have shot with guys that dig it." A 7mm/08 ai with some 2000mr and a 140-160 would make for a nice handy rifle."
I think the 7mm-08 AI is one that a lot of guys are missing ….. VERY capable cartridge

Short action options: 7 SAUM with 168 bergers is optimum in a short action with Wyatts box. You can't run the 180's in a short unless you stuff it down deep in the case a bit and I don't like doing that with Bergers. They run a slightly larger base of bearing surface (pressure ring) that you don't want to loose contact with the neck.

Could run any of the Sherman variants as well if you don't mind fire forming.

Medium length or Tikka action options: 7-300WSM, Long throated 7 SAUM are the two best options. Necking up 270WSM brass is the way to go instead of necking down 300WSM brass. ADG brass is good stuff for the SAUM but it's no Lapua. It's in the upper echelon of brass quality though that's for sure. If you don't mind fireforming, the Sherman MAX is going to be the likely best velocity wise in a medium length action.

Long Action options: 7 Rem mag, 28 Nosler, 280 Ackley. Most efficient case is the ackley, the 28 Nosler is the best performer. Brass is a little more expensive sure but when you're talking an extra $100 in brass compared to a $3000+ rifle build it's nearly a moot point.

Best of luck! New rifles are awesome :)

Mike @ HCA

I’ve fallen out of love with exclusivity in my cartridges in today’s world the last thing I want is any type of difficulty sourcing components.

My firearms mentality has totally flipped from off the wall and neat to KISS

7 rem mag

wildcat33

WKR
I’ve fallen out of love with exclusivity in my cartridges in today’s world the last thing I want is any type of difficulty sourcing components.

My firearms mentality has totally flipped from off the wall and neat to KISS

7 rem mag

Ain't that the truth. I fully support incremental improvement in cartridge design, but I like reading about it more than I like trying to find ammo or brass. I've kinda landed in the spot where if Federal doesnt make GMM ammo for it I dont buy it (buy could stretch that to "if Lapua doesn't make brass for it, I don't buy it").

I have a 7 saum with a Mesa Precision Arms Ti short action. Quicker turnaround than waiting for a Lone Peak if they are out. Also MPA can build the rifle for you as well. For me the 162 eld Ms shoot well in the the short action and 1:9 twist barrel.

I would look at the 180 eld Ms to shoot out of that 1:8 barrel.

DRUSS

WKR
280AI efficient,28 Nosler performance, 7 saum short action
Just my choices

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk