264 win mag bullets

So I recently became the proud owner of a Model 70 in 264 winmag. Looking to pick some brains about bullet selection. Particularly AccuBonds, A-frames, Partitions, and TSX's. I realize it may be like comparing apples to oranges so at the risk of sounding like a total rookie I'm going to continue regardless. My go to hunting caliber for the better part of twenty years now has been just a plain old .308. I've got a safe full of them and they all eat Federal factory loads and have done everything I've ever asked them to do. I'm not a reach out and touch type guy. Every muley, whitetail, and prairie goat I've ever killed has been inside 300 yards. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Anyways, I can get long winded so I won't bore y'all with my reasoning for changing things up after so long. Suffice it to say it wasn't done on a whim. Now back to the initial point. I've read alot about the different bullets but don't have much hands on experience with a whole slew of them. I feed my 416 the Barnes and it loves them. On paper the partitions look great, and A-frames seem kinda like a suped up partition. And then I have a buddy who shoots almost exclusively Accubonds out of his battery of Roy's from 257 up to his 300's. He has great success. I kinda think I understand S.D, of which the Barnes had the highest (right..?). Supposedly according to literature the Scandinavians swear by 120grain TSX's as a go to moose cartridge with the 264. Have also read about 140gr accubonds being a great elk round. So without rattling on further, what are some of yalls opinions as to which would be.. let's call it the most versatile bullet across the widest range of species. These little magnums and light weight bullets are a little bit of a new world to me. It pencils out to be a capable round, and I don't doubt it on deer, but the other side of me is crowing about no replacement for displacement on the larger bodied critters. What do y'all think?

EastMT

WKR
So I recently became the proud owner of a Model 70 in 264 winmag. Looking to pick some brains about bullet selection. Particularly AccuBonds, A-frames, Partitions, and TSX's. I realize it may be like comparing apples to oranges so at the risk of sounding like a total rookie I'm going to continue regardless. My go to hunting caliber for the better part of twenty years now has been just a plain old .308. I've got a safe full of them and they all eat Federal factory loads and have done everything I've ever asked them to do. I'm not a reach out and touch type guy. Every muley, whitetail, and prairie goat I've ever killed has been inside 300 yards. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Anyways, I can get long winded so I won't bore y'all with my reasoning for changing things up after so long. Suffice it to say it wasn't done on a whim. Now back to the initial point. I've read alot about the different bullets but don't have much hands on experience with a whole slew of them. I feed my 416 the Barnes and it loves them. On paper the partitions look great, and A-frames seem kinda like a suped up partition. And then I have a buddy who shoots almost exclusively Accubonds out of his battery of Roy's from 257 up to his 300's. He has great success. I kinda think I understand S.D, of which the Barnes had the highest (right..?). Supposedly according to literature the Scandinavians swear by 120grain TSX's as a go to moose cartridge with the 264. Have also read about 140gr accubonds being a great elk round. So without rattling on further, what are some of yalls opinions as to which would be.. let's call it the most versatile bullet across the widest range of species. These little magnums and light weight bullets are a little bit of a new world to me. It pencils out to be a capable round, and I don't doubt it on deer, but the other side of me is crowing about no replacement for displacement on the larger bodied critters. What do y'all think?

I have a 26 Nos, similar speeds as the 264. After trying several of the high BC bullets, gave results I didn’t like mainly due to too high speed, I settled on 140 Partitions. After a few shots on animals, all my 6.5’s are switched to them.

I used AB in a 200g 300 WSM, but at 3100+ FPS, in a 6.5, not sure on that.

I wanted swift A frames to try, but found some blem PT on SPS so cheap, said that will do!

(308 is still me favorite round as well, don’t tell anyone ha!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the 140 partion. My 264 wouldn't shoot the 127 barnes consistently, but loves the 140 grain flat base bullets from Nosler, and Hornady.

-- Scott

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming that you’re looking for a bullet specifically for hunting at 300 yds and under, I’m in the 140gn Partition camp like previous posters. I’ve used them at 2900fps (muzzle) in a 6.5-284 for years with incredibly reliable performance. I’ve used them exclusively on southern (on the small side) WT deer. They have consistently expanded, doing massive internal damage, and leave big exit wounds, making tracking easy (when required). Most deer shot don’t get very far, though.

Regards,
SAB