264 Win Mag

bern0134

FNG
I just wanted to see how many of you are fans of the 264 win mag. I have one that I still need to really get out and shoot but just haven't had the time.
Please share some of your load recipes as well

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
philw,
although I don't own one, they are in my top 3-4 favorite calibers. Been around friends with them, looked at ballistics and they are a great caliber: fast, flat, lighter recoil and big buck medicine for sure.

If they were offered in more guns, I'm sure I would have ended up with one. Seems to me to have been overshadowed by the 7 Rem mag and the 270, but still a killer round.

Last edited:

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, it's also just about the best combination of speed, light recoil, and availability of high-BC bullets that buck wind the best while still being "big enough" for game like elk.

i've shot a 264 win mag for 2 seasons but have only taken 3 Antelope. Best accuracy load is 130 gr Barnes TSX under max load of RL22, win mag primers. The 140 gr Nosler accubond is not far behind. No chrono yet. This is a 26" douglas airgauge barrel on a mod 70 action, all in featherweight contour. I spent the $$ on Redding Comp die set and have no regrets. shoot misc loads to size the brass to chamber then neck size only.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
264!
When I saw you were latest to register on Rokslide (I'm a moderator so I pay attention to that stuff) I was hoping you'd find this thread!

Great sounding gun. Did you build your own rifle? Pics?

I had it built by Frontier Gunshop / Dennis Erhardt of Helena, MT. John Barsness gave me the recommendation to have Dennis build the gun. I like the Win Mod 70 featherweights and had purchased a replacement laminate stock from Win 20 years ago hoping to some day build this rifle. I then purchased a barely used model 70 in 264 win mag about 15 years ago. It took 'til 2010 to get the project completed. Dennis took the barrel and stock off the used gun and then installed the douglas barrel to the actions. Once barrel and action were joined, he matte finished all the metal, tweeked the action, pillar bedded it into the laminated stock. He also chopped the stock to my length of pull with a decelerator pad. He chose to not freefloat the barrel which has proved to be the right choice. I have no idea how to attach photos to this thread.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a great gun.

If you're ambitous, you can attach pics by

going into your profile at top of this page on Rokslide banner (must be logged in)

Look for Albums on left side of your page about mid-way down (it's probably blank as you don't have any pics)

Open Album

Look at top of window for Upload pics (it's hard to see as it's gray on gray)

Upload pics from your computer to your Rokslide album; don't forget to "save changes"

Click on pic and copy the bottom address (top one is URL, bottom one is BB).

Go to post or start a new thread

paste that BB address in the post.

Should work.

Sorry so difficult, but easy once you learn it.

Thanks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, once you click on the albums, the "Upload Pictures" is at the top of the window (it's hard to see as it's gray) on the Pics bar. It's on the right of that bar and says other things like edit, etc. Look hard, it should be there.

You're almost there, then we can see your full size pics of some of those bad boy bucks!

Robby,
attachment.php

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
264, the pics are up! Thank you.

Wow, good looking firearm. That 20-year old laminate stock looks fabulous. All the synthetics these days makes me forget how great a good-looking wood gun can be.

I shot a Mod 70 in '06 for years and have an eye for them still; the 3 position safety is among the best in the industry to me. Love your gun and to think that it's in one of my favorite calibers!

what kind of accuracy are you getting with it?

Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on upcoming hunts and range sessions with that beauty.

Robby,

a quarter can cover a 3 shot group at 100 yards, better if I do my part. Obviously the gun is better than my eyes can get out of it but I have done a few nickel size groups. 300 yards is close to 2" when my eyes feel like focusing. most of the test shooting is during winter or fall, after hunting season is over. this way the barrel doesn't heat up too much. the temps are more consistent at that time of year and I usually have the range to myself. I've shot antelope at 60yards and 301 yards with it. I like it so much that i carry it for deer and elk season now. The .270 and fraternal twin .30-06 featherweights don't see much daylight anymore. one of the .30-06s has the same color stock but with a bit more redish to the grain. No matter what the weather is, the lam stocks don't warp or cause accuracy issues. they are a bit heavier than synthetic but I like the feel of wood.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't get out my other guns either if I had that gun and that accuracy.

Thanks for sharing and posting.

Let your friends know about Rokslide and the Firerms forum- we'd love to have them on here.