26th Annual Mule Deer Mortality Study- SW Wyoming

boco7

FNG
This is one of the most interesting threads I’ve seen. Very insightful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread Robby. Thanks for putting it up. I live in northern portion of Region H. I think the Labarge area was about the only area spared this year. The majority of Region H deer winter along the Wind River Mtn front and that herd took it in the shorts again. The deer we've come across antler hunting look like hell. I'd bet there will be a short fawn crop again like the spring of '17. If I was a non-resident and could draw Region G, I wouldn't be waiting any longer. 3.5 yr old bucks will be almost non-existent and the 2.5, 1.5 and this years fawn crop will be a below average bunch coming up. I do think Region G will recover faster that H. There's just more deer in that Wyoming Range herd than the Sublette herd.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great thread Robby. Thanks for putting it up. I live in northern portion of Region H. I think the Labarge area was about the only area spared this year. The majority of Region H deer winter along the Wind River Mtn front and that herd took it in the shorts again. The deer we've come across antler hunting look like hell. I'd bet there will be a short fawn crop again like the spring of '17. If I was a non-resident and could draw Region G, I wouldn't be waiting any longer. 3.5 yr old bucks will be almost non-existent and the 2.5, 1.5 and this years fawn crop will be a below average bunch coming up. I do think Region G will recover faster that H. There's just more deer in that Wyoming Range herd than the Sublette herd.

Thanks for the update man. Good to hear from someone in the know.

Cooper12

FNG
Some friends and I shed hunt in region k and I gotta say it’s sad to see so many dead deer, lots of does and fawns laying together dead, actually saw a few dead pronghorn and cow elk on the same trip

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Some friends and I shed hunt in region k and I gotta say it’s sad to see so many dead deer, lots of does and fawns laying together dead, actually saw a few dead pronghorn and cow elk on the same trip

When we’re losing cow elk, it’s a bad winter.

BigDog00

WKR
Has anyone been out scouting? I was hoping to make it out sometime this summer but it doesn't look like thats going to happen.

BigDog00

WKR
It seems better than 2017. At least there’s bucks where there should be bucks.

Thats good to hear. I haven't been to that side of the state since 2016. I'm looking forward to it either way. Its beautiful country and you never know what you might run into.