27-2 Idaho Mountain Goat hunt

Coreyh3

FNG
I was lucky enough to draw a Idaho mountain goat hunt in unit 27-2. Not to familiar with this area but a dream of mine to hunt Mountain Goats but also in the Frank Church. Any pointers on where to hunt would be extremely helpful. Or any pointers on hunting goats. Planning on putting some scouting trips together and
Thank you for reading. And thanks for any pointers you can give.

jzelina

FNG
Hey Corey, congrats on the tag! I don't have any goat hunting experience so I can't be of much help, but the book "A beast the color of winter" by Douglas Chadwick has a lot of great general information on mountain goats. It would probably be very helpful in planning a hunt.

OP
C

Coreyh3

FNG
Hey Corey, congrats on the tag! I don't have any goat hunting experience so I can't be of much help, but the book "A beast the color of winter" by Douglas Chadwick has a lot of great general information on mountain goats. It would probably be very helpful in planning a hunt.
Thank you for suggestion. I will for sure go and check it out.

Mtnboy

WKR
I would call the IDF&G Biologist if you haven’t already. They will be a huge help on where to start looking for Goats.

Probably just best to accept now that unless you get very lucky and find a spring (rare in that country) you are probably gonna have to do some work to acquire water if you are camping up high.

Thats some wild country, enjoy it.

Ram12

FNG
Congrats on the tag. I may know where some have been killed. I need to look at the hunt map, It seems like 27-2 goats is not 27-2 sheep.

Congrats Coreyh3! I would call the IDF&G Biologist if you haven’t already. They will be a huge help on where to start looking for Goats. I don't have any goat hunting experience so I can't be of much help, but I may know where some have been killed. I need to look at the hunt map. I will let you know. PM me for my number

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
When you talk to the IDF&G biologist for your area, ask him if he has the records map showing where goats have been killed in that unit in the past and if he'll share it with you. Goat hunters have to log the locations of their kill and IDF&G logs that info on a map. The biologist will usually share that info with goat and sheep hunters (or at least the biologist in the unit I hunted did). You should see some general areas where kills are concentrated and that will give you some starting points, then it's boots on the ground and eyes on the glass. Good Luck and remember to take lots of pictures.

OP
C

Coreyh3

FNG
Congrats Coreyh3! I would call the IDF&G Biologist if you haven’t already. They will be a huge help on where to start looking for Goats. I don't have any goat hunting experience so I can't be of much help, but I may know where some have been killed. I need to look at the hunt map. I will let you know. PM me for my number

OP
C

Coreyh3

FNG
I will take all of the help I can get. I don’t know how to private message on this forum. But I will try to figure it out and see if you can’t give me any pointers. Thanks in advance!