.270 & 30-06 discussion

brsnow

WKR
Trying to talk myself out of another rifle:) I don’t shoot past 400 yards, have used a .308 successfully on elk previously. I currently have a .270 Fieldcraft that shoots amazing for elk. Can get a deal on a kimber MA 30-06. Any real advantage with the 30-06? I use 129lrx , would use 168 or 175 barnes. Thank you

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might be a slight advantage staying with the 270 and changing to a heavier . 277 bullet over going to a 30/06 and shooting 165's.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I have and use both exclusively. What will one do the other can't? Nothing, they both have enough overlap that they could be used interchangeably. The advantage will be having 2 lightweight, well-balanced rifles that can both easily handle antelope to moose, yet have enough difference to distinguish strengths in certain areas.

Another advantage, both the 130's with the 270 and 200's in the '06 perform well with the same powder, H4831. If brass ever came on issue, they can be necked up or down.

I used 168 TTSXs in the 30-06 this year to take my bull and 130 Accubonds in the 270 for deer.

There is no question there is a slight step up with the ‘06. I have both and I take the ‘06 (or 7mm mag) when I am after elk. I am taking my 270 next week on a mule deer hunt though!

As an example, if you compare federal premium ammo:
270 with a 130 gr nosler partition.
30-06 with a 165 accubond

the ‘06 has about 200 more ft lbs at 400 yards.

And foot lbs gives the edge to the faster/smaller bullet because it squares the velocity. But it doesn’t tell the whole story

If I coild have a 130 grain bullet at 1500 ft/lbs or a 165 gr. Bullet at 1500 ft/lbs. I would choose the bigger bullet if hunting big animals (elk)

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
I mean the 06 is back to back world war champs, hard to argue with that kind of success. In all seriousness, an 06 can shoot heavier bullets and give you more flexibility in what you shoot, as others have said.

Blatantly unamerican not to own an ought six.
Call me un-Americam one more time and we are guna square up! 🤣
Honestly though, they both have serious overlap but are both great cartridges. Try out the 30-06 and decide after that. Maybe sell one, maybe keep them both. Shooting to 400 yards you will probably see a difference in bullet drop but I doubt on-game performance will lack with either one.

Laramie

WKR
I am a fan of the .30 caliber bullets for elk. In your shoes, a better selection to compliment the .270 would be a 300 mag. That said, the 30-06 is my choice for an elk cartridge. I shoot 165 grain Hornady interbonds.

Twist my arm and I’ll pick 30-06. Reason? I don’t know, it’s what I have, it shoots great, it’s got a history, with modern bullets it’s a wonderful round (with old bullets it was great too!)

jolemons

WKR
I almost exclusively use my 270 with 140 gr ELDX. I also guide, so have seen the effectiveness of a wide range of cakibersand bullet selections on elk. I have no reservations in recommending that you just stick with your rifle and save the $$$.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can tell you from personal experience that you should not hunt elk with a 270.

I’ve hunted elk with my 270s for several seasons and they have not killed a single elk. It doesn’t matter how far I carry them, how nicely I cradle them while glassing, how gingerly I slide them over mossy logs when I’m still hunting—this caliber just won’t get the job done on elk. It’s a great deer caliber and has filled my freezer many times over with venison, but it isn’t effective on elk for some reason. If I had a 7 mag it would be totally different. I’m currently rebarreling one of those 270s to 30-06 in the hope that it will bring me an elk next year.

Spoonbill

WKR
I can tell you from personal experience that you should not hunt elk with a 270.

I’ve hunted elk with my 270s for several seasons and they have not killed a single elk. It doesn’t matter how far I carry them, how nicely I cradle them while glassing, how gingerly I slide them over mossy logs when I’m still hunting—this caliber just won’t get the job done on elk. It’s a great deer caliber and has filled my freezer many times over with venison, but it isn’t effective on elk for some reason. If I had a 7 mag it would be totally different. I’m currently rebarreling one of those 270s to 30-06 in the hope that it will bring me an elk next year.
In all honestly, you should go 280ai, from my experience the 280ai brings elk in better than any calling during the rut. 7x7 380 class bulls will line up to get shot by an ackley.

This is starting to make sense now.
My wife’s cousin shot a bull that scored over 400. It was the first day of a guided hunt and a total chip shot. But he was carrying a 28 Nosler, and that’s the kind of elk you get with that cartridge.

I need to call my gunsmith and have him change my order as soon as possible. I wonder if he will answer the phone this late...

I'd say don't do it unless you want redundancy in your safe. You gotta have one of the classic American cartridges in a gloss blue gloss walnut gun. If you get that Kimber, you're going to have an extra .270 or extra 06 at some point. But 3 is better than 2...

I’ve been reading some stuff about Hammer‘s new “Absolute Hunter” line of bullets and performance. I think the 30-06 would have 300 WM punch. That is if you are in to re-loading.