270 ackley improved

Spoonbill

WKR
Wanted to see if anyone had built a 270 ackley? It seems there is info on most of the other 06 based cartridges but not the 270. Any personal experience, especially with the newer bullets from berger and nosler, would be appreciated.
And yes, I know the 270 wsm exist, just want info about 270 ackley improved.

WKR
I am having a 270 Sherman prefit made with 1:8 twist to try out the 170 bergers. Similar to an ackley but with a little more capacity.

Steven C

FNG
There is a member on here named Doublebroomed Mountain Rifles. He builds rifles and guides in Alaska. I know he builds them and I believe he calls it the 27 O’Connor after the famous gun writer. His is a 280AI necked down to 270. I’ve never talked to him personally but listen to him when he’s on the Tundra Talk podcast. He sounds like a hell of a nice guy. If I was building one or wanted any info he’s the guy I would contact. His name is Steve Hallenbeck. I also believe he had the first reamer cut for this. If you look back a few years in the podcast they talk about it for awhile.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
There is a member on here named Doublebroomed Mountain Rifles. He builds rifles and guides in Alaska. I know he builds them and I believe he calls it the 27 O’Connor after the famous gun writer. His is a 280AI necked down to 270. I’ve never talked to him personally but listen to him when he’s on the Tundra Talk podcast. He sounds like a hell of a nice guy. If I was building one or wanted any info he’s the guy I would contact. His name is Steve Hallenbeck. I also believe he had the first reamer cut for this. If you look back a few years in the podcast they talk about it for awhile.
Thanks for the info, appreciate the help.

Seems like a lot of work. What niche is this filling that other, more common, rounds fall short? Not flaming, genuinely curious.

EmperorMA

WKR
Most .270s aren’t going to be twisted properly. No need for this, really.

Once the 6.8 Western gets established, there might be room for this if it catches on at 1-8”.

OP
S

Spoonbill

WKR
Seems like a lot of work. What niche is this filling that other, more common, rounds fall short? Not flaming, genuinely curious.
Pure curiosity. Seems like everything else has been ackley improved except for the 270 so wanted to know if anyone had used one.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
PO himself did a few back in the day but he didn't recommend them since the original .270 was considered over bore & didn't gain much in terms of performance. There's a pic of the .270AI in his Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders.

z987k

WKR
You honestly have to wonder the purpose of that. .007" difference in the same case. And until recently better bullets available in 284.

You honestly have to wonder the purpose of that. .007" difference in the same case. And until recently better bullets available in 284.
Not until recently..
Still better bullets in .284
If there were ever a redundant caliber to get rid of its the 270.
Not to be a hater my first rifle was a 270, and I've owned a few over the years.
But the 7mm just does it better with virtually the same recoil.
Here comes the pitch forks 😱

Not until recently..
Still better bullets in .284
If there were ever a redundant caliber to get rid of its the 270.
Not to be a hater my first rifle was a 270, and I've owned a few over the years.
But the 7mm just does it better with virtually the same recoil.
Here comes the pitch forks 😱

277 is still a nice bullet diameter for the balance of weight, recoil, terminal effectiveness but there is no denying that with any case size there are better options (by the numbers) in 264 or 284 bore.

They got the .270 case right from the get go. No need for AI because there is no gain.

What they got wrong is the twist rate.
New to understanding the thinking behind the whole twist rate to performance ratio, what would be the proper twist rate?

z987k

WKR
New to understanding the thinking behind the whole twist rate to performance ratio, what would be the proper twist rate?
High BC bullets are long. Long bullets require a faster twist rate to stabilize. Most places are still rifling barrels like it's 1965. Looking at you Tikka.
You end up not being able to stabilize the modern bullets.