.270 ammo

I’m going to be taking my .270 out West this year to hunt antelope. What ammo are you all having the most success with? What ammo would you avoid? I won’t be shooting anything past 300.

come2elmo

WKR
Anything from a reputable manufacturer in 130gr. Your rifle will shoot well. At that range just about any bullet/load you would shoot a deer with will do the trick.

kcm2

WKR
I like the Hornady 130 Superformance GMX. Fast and accurate, use from pronghorns to elk.

The Federal Premium 140 Accubond is another darn good round.

OP
LetItFly43
I like the Hornady 130 Superformance GMX. Fast and accurate, use from pronghorns to elk.

The Federal Premium 140 Accubond is another darn good round.
Do you see any real difference between the 130’s and 140’s? I’m sure at further distance the differences may come out more.

archp625

WKR
Buy a couple different boxes that you want to try and see which one shoots the best out of your gun. What people recommend maybe a good starting point but more than likely its what there gun likes and not yours.

OP
LetItFly43
Buy a couple different boxes that you want to try and see which one shoots the best out of your gun. What people recommend maybe a good starting point but more than likely its what there gun likes and not yours.

Ohh I’m definitely aware of that! I never shoot just one type of ammo. I like to compare to get the most accuracy when sighting in. I’m throwing a new scope on my rifle so was just looking for a few good options to start with. I was more looking to see what bullet tips opened up better, had better penetration, weight retention etc. Was looking for some real world input from people that have used them on the real thing (antelope) not just paper like me.

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
I reload and use 130 gr Berger classic hunters. They have worked great on antelope, deer, and elk. Ranges have been from 100-420 yards. I’d like to move to a 140 or 150 gr but the Bergers group very well for me - I can’t get myself to work up a different load.

kcm2

WKR
Do you see any real difference between the 130’s and 140’s? I’m sure at further distance the differences may come out more.

I've killed elk at up to 519 with the 130 partition. I do not see any difference between the the 130 and 150 grain bullets up to 500 yards so long as you use premium bullets. The GMX is my new favorite...3150 out of a 20" barrel. The one bullet I pulled from a nice cow elk weighed only 129.6 grains on my scale and looked like the pictures say it should.

OP
LetItFly43
I've killed elk at up to 519 with the 130 partition. I do not see any difference between the the 130 and 150 grain bullets up to 500 yards so long as you use premium bullets. The GMX is my new favorite...3150 out of a 20" barrel. The one bullet I pulled from a nice cow elk weighed only 129.6 grains on my scale and looked like the pictures say it should.
That’s pretty sweet! Gives me a little more confidence in the .270. A lot of people out there saying “it’s too light for elk” but if you’ve killed at that range with it and had that weight retention, that’s saying a lot. I took my 30-06 out for elk last time but now an seriously thinking of maybe even taking the .270 next year. We’ll see how she does on lopes first!

Catahoula

WKR
I do not hunt antelope, but I do hunt mule deer and elk. I hand load my .270win with Nosler Accubond 140 grainers and have taken elk with my longest kill shot being 425-430yards. The other kills in the past on mule deer and elk all have been less than 325yards. Best of luck to you on your upcoming hunt.

I shot one antelope and a ton of deer with the hornady superformance sst 130 gr out of my .270 win. My complaint was always that they did too much meat damage. Pretty much exploded on impact and I lost at least a shoulder and sometimes 2 out of everything I killed. I'm using those for target loads now and testing stronger bullets for next season. Those ssts shot really well out of my rifle though.

mcseal2

WKR
I had very good results with the 140gr Accubond from my 270 win and 270WSM on deer and elk. Really I had good luck with the 130gr Accubond and 150gr Partition too, but the 140gr Accubond became my favorite. I've taken quite bit of game with 140 Accubonds in 6.5 and 7mm also. I think a tough 140gr bullet at around 3000fps is pretty hard to beat for a lot of hunting. It's an easy level of recoil to handle with plenty of performance on the other end.

I took my best elk with the 140gr Accubond from the 270 win. Shot it once at 530 and twice 614 yards. 2 through the lungs and one through the neck because the lungs/shoulder were behind trees. Either of the first two lung shots would have done the job but with elk I shoot until they are down. All of them exited which I was pretty impressed with. It was a tough bull to stay on his feet as long as he did with the hits he absorbed. After the first shot I had to wait as he walked up the hill on wobbly legs for a clear chance at the second two.

On smaller animals like antelope the Accubond will open instantly on contact to make a great wound channel, but not fragment to severely to ruin meat. I had more meat loss with ballistic tips back before the accubond was invented and I made the switch. Just a pretty darn good bullet for game until you get to shooting extreme ranges where the BC leaves a little to be desired. I don't use accubonds or e tips past 600.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
My .270 has shot quite well with Hornady Fusion in 130 gr. The set up has killed several antelope over the last few years. Non lead bullets have always gone with Barnes and killed a lot of big things with their bullets.

Anyone have any experience with the non-lead rounds?

I do. I shoot the Barnes TTSX and they have performed okay for me. Had one not expand in a deer. We’ve shot quite a few pigs and deer and all other times they have worked real well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer 140 Accubonds but that is just my preference. I shot a 175 inch Mule deer quartered away at 675 yards with my 270 WSM. Bullet hit rib going in and found it in opposite shoulder perfectly mushroomed. Deer dropped right there. I would not hesitate to use it on Elk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another Barnes shooter here. We've used it on mountain goat, sheep, caribou, grizzly and a wolf.

OXN939

WKR
I’m going to be taking my .270 out West this year to hunt antelope. What ammo are you all having the most success with? What ammo would you avoid? I won’t be shooting anything past 300.

Barnes TTSX or Nosler E-Tip. Here's why: