270 Ammo

I posted a similar question on the Elk page, and have gotten some great feedback and insight. Wanted to hear from some whitetail hunters about the same thing.

I shoot a 270 and have used Nosler BT’s for the past few years. The rifle shoots them great and i have killed a lot of deer with that combo. Now, trying to choose a bullet that will be good for elk, but also work good on whitetail. I really want to just use one bullet for all animals. Here is what i have tested and gotten good accuracy results out of:
130 grain partitions
150 grain partitions
140 grain accubonds
130 grain ttsx’s
130 grain trophy bonded tips

All of these were factory loaded Federal Premiums.
All of these shot great out to 300 yards on paper. Accuracy is good so now i need to decide on which will be best for whitetail, as i know any of these would be good choices for elk. Would love to hear some real world experiences.

rmarshall

WKR
Ive been shooting a 270 win for years, I love the 140 accubonds! I have taken whitetail, mule deer and elk with stellar results! I’m very impressed by this bullet, amazing accuracy, penetration, and performance. I have recovered a few over the years, they flat work

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
When I used factory ammo I loved Hornady 140 gr. SPBT's they would drop deer in their tracks, but you need to shoot whatever your rifle likes just about any bullet will kill a deer with ease.

My first choice for elk from your list would definitely be the 150 gr. Partitions. They will also knock down any deer.

All good choices.

Buy one box at a time to test and stop when you get the accuracy you’re looking for.

KW03

FNG
I wouldn’t go lower than the 140 AccuBond, and 150 would be my personal choice

WVBowman

FNG
All good choices. I use ballistic tips for accuracy, and they do a great job on whitetail. The partitions a great choice for all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Any will work just fine. i shot 130 corelokts out of a 270 for 25 years and nothing walked away that was hit, including elk.

How awesome that they all shoot accurately, congrats!

For me, because of insanity and a mind that can't shut off, would pick the 140 ONLY because I'd think "well, I'm halfway between 130 and 150, so good compromise" vs. making an impact on leathality.

Tmac

WKR
Killed a bunch of elk, bulls and cows, with 130 TTSX’s. They work well on smaller deer too. I am moving some rifles to the LRX version, designed to open faster and still penetrate, so far it’s working very well.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
No wrong answers in that bunch, I'd pick whatever one I could find the best price for a case of. The only exception would be if I shot most of my game close and/or shot for shoulders then the TTSX and 150 partition appeal most to me. The TTSX is kinder on meat loss and the 150 partition is because of tradition. Between them, flip a coin.

KineKilla

WKR
If it will effectively kill Elk it will effectively kill Deer. One of my 270's really likes the 150gr soft points moving a bit slower while another one likes 130gr projectiles loaded at max charges. If you're grouping well with all of those listed, I'd base the decision off of price and/or availability.

Lytro

WKR
I set up a .270 for my girlfriend for elk/deer last year with Federal Premium 130 gr trophy bonded tip ammo. She didn't get a shot on an elk, but had a one shot kill on a deer from 220 yards. One thing that impressed me while sighting in was the bullet retention. Every bullet I recovered was perfectly mushroomed and retained about 80% of its weight. It almost made me switch my 7mm RM ammo out from the SST's.