270 ammo

Jotis

WKR
Just picked up a 270. What are some good bullet choices to get out for antelope

brsnow

WKR
I am using 85 tsx for elk this year, due to shoulder surgery. Plan on using them for antelope/deer moving forward. Shoot great at 3750 fps.

130 gr. bullet is just a classic in the 270 Winchester as is H4831SC if you are hand loading. IMR4350 or H4350 are also great powders in the 270.

I think the 130 gr. Accubond would be great for antelope, deer, and elk. I loaded both the Accubond and 130 gr. Partition and a buddy of mine shot quite a few elk with both of those bullets.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a lot of things with my .270, however I am trying to decide if it is enough for an elk hunt this year or should I move up to a larger caliber?

brsnow

WKR
I’ve shot a lot of things with my .270, however I am trying to decide if it is enough for an elk hunt this year or should I move up to a larger caliber?

I think it is about perfect for elk, typically 129 LRX. I have also had success with a .308 and 150 GMX.

amassi

WKR
Just picked up a 270. What are some good bullet choices to get out for antelope
Anything that shoots well. They are not hard to kill, probably the easiest game animal to extinguish. If you plan on hunting other things like deer and elk with the same rifle focus on that
Luckily there's about a billion options in 270. Classic caliber and cartridge

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Used 130 gr CoreLokts for over 25 years in a 270. Whatever your rifle shoots well will work fine.

I don't remember the exact recipe, but used H414,non magnum primers and 130 gr CoreLokts in my reloads.

mcseal2

WKR
140 grain Accubond is my favorite 270 bullet. Used it on elk, deer, and coyotes with good success. It opens fast but holds together and has a good BC for a 270 bullet. My 24” barrel got 2950fps with good accuracy.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
my .270 the lasy few years has loved 130 gr federal fusion. Accurate, fairly priced, and has accounted for antelope and mule deer over the last few years.

JFK

WKR
If you hand load check out the 110gr TTSX. It’s a fun, flat shooting round to shoot out of the 270 and devastating on game. Leaves the muzzle at around 3300fps depending on powder/charge weight and basically no holdover to 300yds. Only caveat is that it’s not great if you plan on shooting long distances past 400yds or so. The factory 130gr TTSX are also a good choice. I used them before I starting loading and they were the most accurate factory ammo I came across with good performance on game.

For something thin skinned like an antelope would stick with a psp no need for a controlled expansion bullet, mite even be tempted to go with a Hornady sst, ballistic tip,or other rapid expansion bullet.

WyoKid

WKR
I agree for thin skinned that controlled expansion is not necessary but using a single load and bullet keeps it simple for me. I used to match my load and bullet to the game and have used Win PowerPoint and Silvertips and SST for deer with good results but now stick with TTSX to avoid changes in variables.

brsnow

WKR
I agree for thin skinned that controlled expansion is not necessary but using a single load and bullet keeps it simple for me. I used to match my load and bullet to the game and have used Win PowerPoint and Silvertips and SST for deer with good results but now stick with TTSX to avoid changes in variables.

Also you save so much meat with them and antelope don’t have all that much to start with.