270 MT Elk Hunt

Ishi

FNG
Hi everyone,

My friend and I are CA hunters with a Montana bull elk rifle hunt planned the first week of November in zone 270. We have scouted the area and done some research, but also wanted to reach out to the Rockslide community for further knowledge.

Our experience in MT and 270 is very limited. Input from anyone on that zone specifically or MT elk would be much appreciated. We would be open to meet up with anyone with experience in that zone as well. Thank you.

That’s a tough week in 270. Probably the toughest. Elk have reacted to pressure but the weather hasn’t forced them out of their security zones. You’re looking for bachelor groups or small bulls that might be with the herds. Go as high as you can. I punched 13 tags straight in 270. Most were in archery or either the first or last week of gun season. Good luck Ishi!

There were only 13 elk in 270 and I.S. killed them all. I'd look elsewhere.
Nope lots more where those came from. Hunting is actually a little better now than it was then. But that second week requires some luck. My brother lives there and lots of friends still hunt it. They get a bull every 2-3 years.

I was lucky to be able to kill all those elk. Not lucky to find them so much. Just lucky to not only live in the unit I hunt but also to get to hunt full time. I’d be in the hills for 4-5 weeks of archery and 5 in rifle season. Even a blind squirrel could find a nut if he had that much time. One bull, the smallest I’ve shot, I spotted from the dining room table while drinking coffee in the morning.

Interestingly over the years my favorite places to hunt changed. With fires and other factors such as wolves things don’t stay the same forever. We used to hunt lions for a month or so after elk season too. By then the elk have stacked up down low and seeing where the end up is a valuable piece of the puzzle.

These days I get to hunt for 2 weeks a year like everyone else. But 10-15 years of living in the hills is several lifetimes worth of hunting so all those lessons are still paying off.

Ishi pm me and let me know where you’re hunting and maybe I can help. It’s a big AND diverse unit.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ishi

FNG
Thanks for the welcoming and comical responses regarding us Californians. I can assure you we aren't your run of this mill Californians, just stuck there due to work and family for the time being. We would love to leave this place after seeing what other states have to offer and not put up with.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback, particularly from Indian Summer. Seems that your very knowledgeable with the zone and elk in the general area. Thanks for leaving some elk for us Californians! I'd love to pick your brain some more regarding this. Unfortunately, I can't send PM until I make more posts since I'm new. If you want to PM me another way to contact that would be great, thanks!

Thanks for the welcoming and comical responses regarding us Californians. I can assure you we aren't your run of this mill Californians, just stuck there due to work and family for the time being. We would love to leave this place after seeing what other states have to offer and not put up with.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback, particularly from Indian Summer. Seems that your very knowledgeable with the zone and elk in the general area. Thanks for leaving some elk for us Californians! I'd love to pick your brain some more regarding this. Unfortunately, I can't send PM until I make more posts since I'm new. If you want to PM me another way to contact that would be great, thanks!
Aren’t you also on the Wapiti Talk forum? If so you can message me there.

OP
I

Ishi

FNG
I am not on Wapiti talk and I tried to create an account, but keep getting an error. I will PM you on here once I make a few more posts.