270 or 280AI

Just using a real world example with two rigs that I own.

Obviously, out of two of the exact same set up rifles, the .28 Nosler will hit you a little harder.

Too many factors involved with recoil to say a certain caliber “kicks a lot more” than another.

A little harder or roughly twice as hard

There aren't really that many factors if you have an idea of what bullet you want to shoot out of a given chambering.

Using this website http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php a 9lb rifle and published loads from nosler

28 Nosler: 168 grain bullet, max load of RL33 and 3238 FPS:
Recoil Impulse4.39(lbs.sec)
Recoil Velocity15.7(fps)
Recoil Energy34.47(ft.lbf)

308 win: 168 grain bullet, max load of varget and 2820 FPS
Recoil Impulse3.12(lbs.sec)
Recoil Velocity11.17(fps)
Recoil Energy17.45(ft.lbf)

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A little harder or roughly twice as hard

There aren't really that many factors if you have an idea of what bullet you want to shoot out of a given chambering.

Using this website http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php a 9lb rifle and published loads from nosler

28 Nosler: 168 grain bullet, max load of RL33 and 3238 FPS:
Recoil Impulse4.39(lbs.sec)
Recoil Velocity15.7(fps)
Recoil Energy34.47(ft.lbf)

308 win: 168 grain bullet, max load of varget and 2820 FPS
Recoil Impulse3.12(lbs.sec)
Recoil Velocity11.17(fps)
Recoil Energy17.45(ft.lbf)

You’re just clarifying exactly what I said and the reason for my original post.

The characteristics of the rifle have way more of an impact on felt recoil for the shooter.

I’ve heard this so much over the years... “doesn’t “blah blah” cartridge kick like a mule?” “I’d never shoot one of those”.

I’ve been trying to get guys away from this mindset for years.

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
Right, because SAAMI says so? You can make a 260 do anything you want. Provided you get the mag, throating, and twist correct. Been quite a big fan of 260’s in the past but you’re wasting your effort of you pull one off the rack now....considering the alternative.

Remington never did it right and CM did out of the gate.

X bullet going Y velocity = Z result. Not too hard to figure out. You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

16Bore

WKR

The characteristics of the rifle have way more of an impact on felt recoil for the shooter.

I’ve heard this so much over the years... “doesn’t “blah blah” cartridge kick like a mule?” “I’d never shoot one of those”.

Kevlar stock vs. Tupperware comes to mind.

16Bore

WKR
I'd tell you that more often than not, book max really doesn't mean much. But you already know that and are just looking to show how smart you are.

Carry on.

Max charges mean “something” if loading SAAMI OAL...and of course the lawyers. Have I been “over book”? Quite a lot. Have I ever seen “book” velocity higher than stated? Not once between: 223, 223AI, 6x45, 243, 260, 270, 30-06, 7RM, 270 WSM, 338 WM, or 375 H&H.

Your mileage may vary of course.

I absolutely love my APR built 280ai. Shot my Idaho muley at 310 yards with factory nosler 140AB at 3150fps and it smoked him. Longest shot I’ve taken on game and it honestly felt like a chip shot. He took three steps and crumpled before sliding down to the bottom of the drainage. The 280ai is right on the heels of a 7 mag with less powder, more rounds in the box, and mild recoil. My saami throat is long enough to seat 175s without encroaching on case capacity much at all.

280ai is a great cartridge but so is the .270. However I feel the 280ai gives you more options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is about a dude comparing cartridges in a gun presumably built the same. Someone asked if a 28 nosler is a notable step up in recoil (it is) and you posted that your 308 kicked worse without further context. So your post can either be construed as 28 nosler kicks less than 280ai (like a 308) or that you can configure a 28 nosler to have less recoil than a 280ai. Neither of which provide value to the question.

Comparatively, a 28 nosler burning 88 grains of powder is a different animal than a 280ai burning 60 which is also a bit different than a 270 burning 56 behind a lighter bullet.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This thread is about a dude comparing cartridges in a gun presumably built the same. Someone asked if a 28 nosler is a notable step up in recoil (it is) and you posted that your 308 kicked worse without further context. So your post can either be construed as 28 nosler kicks less than 280ai (like a 308) or that you can configure a 28 nosler to have less recoil than a 280ai. Neither of which provide value to the question.

Comparatively, a 28 nosler burning 88 grains of powder is a different animal than a 280ai burning 60 which is also a bit different than a 270 burning 56 behind a lighter bullet.

I provided plenty of value to the question early on in the thread (go read) and then, like always, side conversations happen.

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input, I haven't made a decision yet but I'm leaning towards sticking with the 270 and doing a few cosmetics for now.

These threads are usually about people extolling the virtues of their favorite cartridge. That is fine. Just realize, until you push a cartridge to one of its (or yours!) limits (distance of shot/recoil per weight of gun/bullet performance per velocity/size of animal /etc...) most of it is academic. At 'normal' shot distances, with good shot placement, it just doesn't matter. Shoot what you like!

WKR
Just to beat a dead horse, if you reload and like to tinker with loads go with the .280 AI if not stick with the good ole .270. It will do everything that you want it to do without the limited availability of factory 280 AI ammo. The .270 wsm was mentioned and throw that idea in the trash. Not worth the extra recoil and cost over either cartridge you mentioned. I have all three and still grab my .270 with 140 bergers over the other two. I may be biased though.

Dcrafton

WKR
Depending on ammo choice you’re looking at a difference of only about 200 ft lbs of energy and 2” of drop at 500 yards. Just as a quick example.

For elk, a lot of guys use the 1,200 ft lbs rule for one shot clean kill. You don’t go below that energy threshold until 625 yards with the .270 in a 145 grain ELD-X. You’ll go below that energy energy number at 775 yards with the .280AI 162 Grain ELD-X.

Just some quick numbers to consider for your application.

Here is mine, using the 180 gr
51e47efae34c1e6f62499d2aeb0dec76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk