.270 Round Combo?

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
You have been given great advice

I shoot a 270 Win exclusively. I use the 150 gr. Partition when I’m elk hunting. I have killed mature bulls as far away as 580 yards with complete pass throughs. That is a deadly combination.

The 270 is a very capable and accurate round. My suggestion is try 2-3 of the premium bullets mentioned and go with the one that shoots best.

kipper09

WKR
I have shot 130 grain accubonds for a long time but just ordered some federal premium 136 grain terminal ascent ammo. Have no experience with the terminal ascent but the 130 AccuBond is a good solid combo with the 270. I’m considering taking the 270 with 136 grain elk hunting this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently working on loads for 2 different bullets for Elk with the .270 win. I've settled on Nosler Accubond 140's and Hornady ELD-X 145's. Both seem to shoot well with RL16 and H4350. My main goal is tight groups and velocities around 3000fps. Both seem to do that very well out of a 24' proof barrel. I'm leaning towards the Accubonds this year just because of their history of performance.

pirogue

WKR
Aman, I've killed a couple dozen elk with a 270, most one shot kills. Mostly 130 or 150 partitions but also 140 Accubond and my new favorite, the 130 HDY Superformance GMX. I can't load ammo any faster and only barely more accurate. You're getting great advice here...

On, and over half have been well over 300 yds. Anyone that says a 270 won't kill elk does not know what he is talking about.

MHWASH

WKR
I'm currently working on loads for 2 different bullets for Elk with the .270 win. I've settled on Nosler Accubond 140's and Hornady ELD-X 145's. Both seem to shoot well with RL16 and H4350. My main goal is tight groups and velocities around 3000fps. Both seem to do that very well out of a 24' proof barrel. I'm leaning towards the Accubonds this year just because of their history of performance.

The Accu Bond is never a bad choice. I wouldn’t want to take anything other than a broadside shot with the ELDx. But that’s just my opinion. I’ve only killed one buck with a ELDx, and based off that one experience I won’t be using them again.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Accu Bond is never a bad choice. I wouldn’t want to take anything other than a broadside shot with the ELDx. But that’s just my opinion. I’ve only killed one buck with a ELDx, and based off that one experience I won’t be using them again.

100% agree with this. I am very puzzled by all the ELD-X love...maybe because it’s the mild mannered .270 but I’ve shot a few deer with my 300 Win with that bullet and I’d never use that bullet on an elk; nor anything else that is living and breathing. Those are just going to be used to get new scopes on paper, gongs, etc.

Running the 140 grain Accubonds in my .270 win. and 150 grain Nosler Partitions in my wife's .270 win. All comes down to what your gun/barrel behaves best with and you feel confident about shot placement.