270 short mag fans weigh in!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I love my 7mm WSM but we always get left out. Like the redheaded step children of the WSM family.
If I didn't have a 7 WSM and a 300 WSM I would probably get a 270 WSM. If I can get my wife back in to hunting I may have to look at one for her. At least that sounds like a good excuse.

I can't understand why the 7mm WSM struggles to find a following when it's the best of the WSM's. I have had three 7mm WSM rifles and liked them all but it's getting harder and harder to find brass. You can just about count on having to order loaded ammo these days. It's a superb performer so it makes no sense to me why it's the redheaded stepchild of the family.

Davinjax and others, you're right and I should have mentioned I was looking at the 7mm WSM mag too. Like the 270 W, I just couldn't find much of a downside and decision anxiety/lack of funds stopped me.

Bitterroot makes a good point on the 7mm RM at longer yardages but I wasn't expecting a <6 pound gun to perform at those ranges. Just me, I shoot most deer pretty close. Good discussion and I can feel the anxiety starting again! :)

Also, Dave, you might see a sentence that I edited your post- not! I accidentally hit the Edit button available to admin, so it makes it look changed but all is same on your end. Sorry

Mckinnon

WKR
I feel like a broken record saying this on the firearms thread over and over, but I am of the opinion that if it's within reason, who cares what "other people" on "other forums" think about it? If YOU are comfortable with it and YOU are confident with it then YOU should use it because if both of those things are present then YOU are going to put an elk on the ground with a WELL PLACED SHOT. Again, I know this is blunt and simple, but hey if it works don't mess with it.

I certainly didn't need it but I just bought a new gun in a 270 WSM. Looks like it is going to be a good shooter. Can't wait for some warmer weather to come to really start playing around with loads. Should be a great deer rifle.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to put a vote in for the 270wsm being the best of the wsm family. From what I know it's the only caliber that in wsm actually improves on its predecessor. +200 fps over the .270

Wouldn't that comparison then work with the 30'06 to 300 WSM giving the 300 the title of "the best WSM"

Shrek

WKR
I'm rating the 7mm wsm being best for it's compact short action , 120gr to 180 gr bullet selction with the heavier ones having some of the best bc's and still having manageable recoil without a brake. It's everything a 7mm rem mag is just a little more compact and lighter without a belted case to bulge.

Beastmode

WKR
I think he meant the cartridge they orriginally compared the wsm's too.

270 win to 270wsm
7mm rem to 7mm wsm
300 win to 300 wsm

If you look at the ballistic improvement based on this the 270 improved the most.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It was my understanding that all the WSMs were designed to effectively duplicate factory ammo magnum performance in a short action:

270 Weatherby - 270 WSM
7 RM - 7WSM
300 WM - 300 WSM
338 WM - 325 WSM

I think they are all pretty good cartridges.

Shrek

WKR
So. Compare the 7mm wsm and the 300 wsm to their belted magnum counterparts and the 270 wsm to its '06 family counterpart. How about comparing it to the belted 270 weatherby magnum? Apples to apples and oranges to oranges or does the 270 wsm just not have the cojones to run with the big dogs ?

Beastmode

WKR
I was just stating what a American rifleman article stated about 10 years ago when comparing these cartridges. Anyone can compare any cartridge to another. Why not compare to the ultra mags as well. Bottom line is the 270 wsm is a great hunting round imo for the shots I take out to 500. I don't plan on shooting farther and I don't think anyone could say it is a bad round. With proper shot placement and bullet selection this cartridge gets my 2 thumbs up.

Shrek

WKR
I was just stating what a American rifleman article stated about 10 years ago when comparing these cartridges. Anyone can compare any cartridge to another. Why not compare to the ultra mags as well. Bottom line is the 270 wsm is a great hunting round imo for the shots I take out to 500. I don't plan on shooting farther and I don't think anyone could say it is a bad round. With proper shot placement and bullet selection this cartridge gets my 2 thumbs up.

Now that I can agree with 100%

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Which is best?? That's a loaded question with to many variables. Everyone will kill Elk. So shoot the one you have.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
And I will agree that the 270 wby blows the 270 wsm out of the water. But at $75+ a box I will stick with my wsm. :D

I think you should definitely stick with it. The load data I have seen puts them at ballistic equals. The Nosler manual shows differences of around 50 fps MV, and the Weatherby numbers benefited from a 2" barrel advantage of 26" vs. 24".

This thread is funny. It is like a disagreement about how we all agree.

I haven't counted this cartridge out for the future, and I liked it in the past.

OP
big10hunter
I think he meant the cartridge they orriginally compared the wsm's too.

270 win to 270wsm
7mm rem to 7mm wsm
300 win to 300 wsm

If you look at the ballistic improvement based on this the 270 improved the most.

Exactly. This is what industry wanted to accomplish. The 270 improved the most and was what I was referring to.

I believe the 30RCM and 30TC were meant to duplicate the .30-06

OP
big10hunter
I think you should definitely stick with it. The load data I have seen puts them at ballistic equals. The Nosler manual shows differences of around 50 fps MV, and the Weatherby numbers benefited from a 2" barrel advantage of 26" vs. 24".

This thread is funny. It is like a disagreement about how we all agree.

I haven't counted this cartridge out for the future, and I liked it in the past.
I agree. +1

I also agree with the comment above where we agree!:). That is what I like about this site as a whole. So far I have not found anyone being an A$$ and being so opinionated that they get annoying. There is a FAT line between being confident and portraying cockiness to others. This site seems to be on the confident side with everyone trying to help each other. It beats any other site out there...maybe because the posters are more commonly sewn and all the jack wagons stay on the other hunting forums. I hope they stay away!

Last edited:
OP
big10hunter
Was thinking about replacing this gun, but I'm sticking with it for my mountain gun/caliber.