270 short mag fans weigh in!

I own a 270 short mag for my mountain rifle. I've taken Mulies, Sheep, and Goat. Sometimes I second guess it even though I chose it for the ballistics. So many say 7mm Rem sets the minimum bar for Elk. Ballistics show them almost equal with the short mag winning in some categories. Anyone use the 270 WSM for Elk? If so, what are your experiences and kill distances with it on Elk.

Jon Boy

WKR
Havent used one personally as I run a 270 win, but I know a few (including some on here) that have laid the smack down on elk as well as other critters with them.

Dp1077

FNG
I use a 270 WSM. Just got back from Idaho and my Elk was two shots,one at 407 yds. and the second 428 yds. Both shots in the bread basket, after the second shot he dropped. My Muley was one shot at 80 yds. dropped in his tracks. Both were shot with 140 grain nosler accubonds.

OP
big10hunter
Like to hear it! I personally think this caliber is awesome, it does feel good to get some support! I am guessing I just need to get an Elk under my belt with this thing and not look back.

Lawlu

FNG
One shot on a Rosie - ranged at 220 yards down a hill, so probably closer to 240 yards. Took 3-4 steps and fell right there. The lungs were mush and the Accubond was buried in the other side of the hide. The short mag is definitely enough...

OP
big10hunter
So why do so many guys knock the 270wsm stating 7mm is better. In factory ammo the ballistics show the 270wsm winning in speed and energy in a lot of loads. Are guys using ballistics or opinions only? I can't see myself shooting over 400 yards ever, but I want to kill out to that distance.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So why do so many guys knock the 270wsm stating 7mm is better. In factory ammo the ballistics show the 270wsm winning in speed and energy in a lot of loads. Are guys using ballistics or opinions only? I can't see myself shooting over 400 yards ever, but I want to kill out to that distance.

Who is knocking it?

I told you I have killed a couple of bulls with it just fine. You asked for opinions on the 270 WSM and 7RM and you got them. The 7 RM, IN GENERAL, will outperform the 270 WSM. Sometimes you may find one load in the 270 WSM that performs better in some ways than another load in the 7 RM.

Like I said in the other thread, if you like the 270 WSM and want to use it for elk, it will do it just fine.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
About two years ago, I went through all the research and talking to everyone about this caliber (belly-deep can vouch for that).

I was looking to replace my 7mm Rem Mag with the 270 WSM so I could go with a lighter action and a lighter gun without spending a bunch of coin on a custom.

Long story short, I decided I wasn't giving much of anything up, 'cept for recoil, by going with the 270 WSM, but I ran out of funds so I shelved the idea.

I'm convinced they're ballistic twins in a lot of bullet weights. Found lots of shooters who were getting great accuracy out of the 270, too.

OP
big10hunter
Other forums r knocking it. Everyone seems to say the bar is set at 7mm or 30 cal.

Any difference between the two is entirely theory and only on paper 99% of the time. Sure the 7mm can shoot heavier bullets, but there isn't much a .277" 150gr Barnes, Swift A-Frame, or Nosler Partition won't penetrate.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Any difference between the two is entirely theory and only on paper 99% of the time. Sure the 7mm can shoot heavier bullets, but there isn't much a .277" 150gr Barnes, Swift A-Frame, or Nosler Partition won't penetrate.

I agree there isn't much difference out to normal hunting ranges.

You do see a real difference when you get out to 700 yards and further though (with factory twist barrels).

I really like the 270 WSM with 140s for the Maximum Point Blank Range shooter that wants a flat shooting cartridge.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 7mm WSM but we always get left out. Like the redheaded step children of the WSM family.
If I didn't have a 7 WSM and a 300 WSM I would probably get a 270 WSM. If I can get my wife back in to hunting I may have to look at one for her. At least that sounds like a good excuse.

Shrek

WKR
I love my 7mm WSM but we always get left out. Like the redheaded step children of the WSM family.
If I didn't have a 7 WSM and a 300 WSM I would probably get a 270 WSM. If I can get my wife back in to hunting I may have to look at one for her. At least that sounds like a good excuse.

I can't understand why the 7mm WSM struggles to find a following when it's the best of the WSM's. I have had three 7mm WSM rifles and liked them all but it's getting harder and harder to find brass. You can just about count on having to order loaded ammo these days. It's a superb performer so it makes no sense to me why it's the redheaded stepchild of the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
big10hunter
I would have to put a vote in for the 270wsm being the best of the wsm family. From what I know it's the only caliber that in wsm actually improves on its predecessor. +200 fps over the .270