.270 vs .270 WSM?

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
What is a commonly found caliber in this day and age?
270 win, -06, 308. even if it’s range brass, it’s something. also a helluva lot easier to find on gunbroker for reasonable.

unless you’re talking about finding store bought ammo....and in that case, i can’t help you........as i havent bought ammo since 1996.

adamsguy

FNG
Have 3 270s and one 270 wsm. The wsm is heavier so recoil isn’t bad but it is 3lbs heavier then my Forbes, 2.5 more than the tikka, and 1 more than mod 70. I hunt woods for white tail and thought the 270wsm would be better for more open country but not sure I want to carry it if I’m walking much. The wsm is super accurate mod70 custom gun and lefty guns are hard to find so more want than practical in my situation. If you are in the wide opened spaces the extra speed may help some but other calibers would do same (7mm). Oddly I find more 270wsm mag ammo than 270 or 06 but don’t need it as much as the other. Now 280ai make me drool

coldchow

FNG
I am thinking of selling my tried and true SS Remington 270 (maybe I'm bored) and was thinking about buying a 270 WSM. Can someone tell me if there is any advantage to the WSM over the standard beside long vs short action weight? Accuracy maybe?
For me, the wsm offers no advantage in a pure hunting scenario. Sure, the wsm is a little faster, but not enough for the target animal to know. If I had a 270 that I trusted and had confidence in, I'd stay the course. Now if you just want another gun, well that's something different entirely.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I own both and prefer the WSM. Brass is actually easy to find and I have noticed that it is really easy to load for. Seems most loads shoot well. I noticed the same thing with my 300 wsm. Most guys know that a shorter, fatter case usually has a more uniform and consistent powder burn. I am currently shooting the 145 eld-x out of my wsm @ 3190 fps. Shoots lights out.

ianpadron

WKR
270 Win is a great cartridge.

270 WSM is a reliable 200 FPS faster (or more) in a good barrel.

Doubt any critter would know the difference.

That said, 140 grain Berger Classic Hunters at 3315 FPS out of my WSM provide some serious swagger on the mountain.

If you wanted to get real crazy and put a fast twist barrel on to spin those .277 cal 170s...well, it wouldn't even be close.

I say keep the .270 Win, and get a .270 WSM. Life is too short.

Swandive

FNG
I know a lot of guys are leaning more towards the longer higher BC bullets.
I had a 1/9 barrel put on my .270 win in order to properly stabilize the ABLR 150g bullets. I love that .270 win now.
I am getting good accuracy at 2970fps with magpro powder

I have a factory Gen 1 Remington 700 TI in 270 Winchester that shoots factory 140gr Accubonds so well and plenty fast...you couldnt give me a 270WSM. Besides I can handload a 270 Winchester with RL22 to where a factory loaded WSM would be pretty un-exciting.

mcr-85

WKR
270 Win is a great cartridge.

270 WSM is a reliable 200 FPS faster (or more) in a good barrel.

Doubt any critter would know the difference.

That said, 140 grain Berger Classic Hunters at 3315 FPS out of my WSM provide some serious swagger on the mountain.

If you wanted to get real crazy and put a fast twist barrel on to spin those .277 cal 170s...well, it wouldn't even be close.

I say keep the .270 Win, and get a .270 WSM. Life is too short.
I really like the 170s out of my wsm. I'm shooting them at 3060. I don't even have a scope on my old 270 Winchester anymore.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

WKR
I am thinking of selling my tried and true SS Remington 270 (maybe I'm bored).......
This happened to me when I hit middle age.

If you go to a cool, quiet place and lay down and close your eyes for a little while the feeling will likely pass. It did for me.

When you get up, you can go kill something with your .270 Winchester. Maybe even using a boring 130 Nosler Partition.

Last edited:
OP
Huntingfarandwide
This happened to me when I hit middle age.

If you go to a cool, quiet place and lay down and close your eyes for a little while the feeling will likely pass. It did for me.

When you get up, you can go kill something with your .270 Winchester. Maybe even using a boring 130 Nosler Partition.
Ouch......when I lie down....I always think about what I could be doing instead of laying here......the finicky 270 is gone along with a finicky CA Mesa.....I picked up a CA Ridgeline to replace the Mesa.....just haven't decided on a 270 caliber yet....although with the way todays world is it maybe better to stay with calibers that have components readily available.

ceejay33

FNG
I have both....my 270 wsm is a real tack driver. My first 270 was finicky but the browning I have now is awesome. I do not reload so I only shoot factory ammo so it can be a little more difficult to find one it likes. The recoil is a little worse on the wsm. If I had to part with one, it would be a toss-up......to many positives for each

LKY_DVL_1

FNG
Nothing wrong with the tried and true 270 win. The WSM will shoot the same bullets faster out of a shorter/lighter (potentially) rifle but it will have a little more recoil to back it up. I prefer the short actions but its all personal preference.

tntrker

WKR
I had a 270wsm that was a killer. Out of 8 deer, I never had an exit wound for a trail but only two of the eight didn’t just collapse, but they only went 20yrds. Great rifle but kicked harder than my 30-06. Ammo was hard to find, even when it was plentiful.

natedock1

FNG
I'd have to say its the 7 wsm
the 7 wsm is non-existant now....300 wsm easiest to get ammo for and guns are still chambered in it that are produced. i own the 270 wsm and its pretty obsolete as well and the ammo has doubled in price and become more scarce than other non popular calibers. 6.8 western while not much different than a 270wsm will kill off the 270 wsm

OP
Huntingfarandwide
Ouch......when I lie down....I always think about what I could be doing instead of laying here......the finicky 270 is gone along with a finicky CA Mesa.....I picked up a CA Ridgeline to replace the Mesa.....just haven't decided on a 270 caliber yet....although with the way todays world is it maybe better to stay with calibers that have components readily available.
Update.....decided to go the route of a standard caliber....so I bought a Forbes 24B in .280 Remington. #367 made in 2013. Looks like a safe queen and I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can drive to the range and shoot it!