.270 vs .270 WSM?

I am thinking of selling my tried and true SS Remington 270 (maybe I'm bored) and was thinking about buying a 270 WSM. Can someone tell me if there is any advantage to the WSM over the standard beside long vs short action weight? Accuracy maybe?

NoWiser

WKR
I've had a 270 WSM for about 15 years now. It has killed a ton of critters. I can't say any of them would have been less dead had I used a .270 Winchester. The WSM will kick more, burn more powder, and cost more to shoot. It will be slightly faster.

Reactions: FLS

WKR
I have both cartridge's and there isn't that much difference between the two. The wsm can be pushed faster but brass is more expensive and not as plentiful as the .270. If you are bored with your .270 rebarrel it with a 1:8 twist to be able to play with the new heavy bullets coming out. You can AI or Sherman the .270 which increases your velocity up to wsm levels.

ericF

WKR
If you want to shoot lighter bullets go ahead with a 270WSM. If your going to shoot heavier bullets you might as well jump up to the 6.8 Western for a new rifle. It is basically a 270wsm throated and twisted for heavier bullets, ie long range.

I am thinking of selling my tried and true SS Remington 270 (maybe I'm bored) and was thinking about buying a 270 WSM. Can someone tell me if there is any advantage to the WSM over the standard beside long vs short action weight? Accuracy maybe?
I've owned a 270 wsm and now a 7 wsm, they are about the easiest cartridges I've loaded for.
Accuracy is effortless and they're the perfect balance of performance and barrel life.
If you handload I'd recommend putting a fast twist custom throated barrel on an action of your choice, or just buy a Tikka 270 wsm and have at it

TXjarhead

FNG
If you have a moment, the Vortex Podcast just released a conversation dealing with this question. They also bring the 6.8 Western into the equation. I’m in the same boat as you and it gave me a little more insight to what direction to approach. Give it a listen when you can.

WCB

WKR
100fps maybe a bit more and more expensive whether you are buying ammo or reloading. IMO zero reason to switch to a 270 WSM from a standard 270. If it were me and I was bored keep your 270 since it is tried and true and buy something else.

If you hand load, have your 270 re-barreled with a 1:8.5 twist.
There’s a few decent bullets out now which are better suited to faster twist and add a whole new dynamic to the 270 Winchester

wildcat33

WKR
I always thought the 270wsm was a cool round, but requires some custom work to get the most out of it. 6.8western solves that problem in a factory offering.

I was in sportsmans the other day and the had a huge pile of 6.8western ammo on the shelf. Not much else besides that; a few boxes of 6CM and one box 416 Rigby. So besides being a cool round, the ammo is one of the few around.

Yes there are some new bullets that would probably do well in the 270 win, I have to wonder about COAL limitations, which circles back to the WSM or Western.

The weight savings from the shorter action will be offset by the (usually) longer barrel required for magnum powder capacity. What you will gain is some velocity at about 200FPS and the associated flatter trajectory. If you want to stretch the 277 out a little further than heck yea a good option. It is also a pretty tits mountain cartridge.

Bearman

FNG
Like 762Gunner said, easiest cartridge to reload for. Out of my 300 wsm, 25-06 and 270 wsm, most often than not I take with me the 270wsm.

Sled

WKR
Unless you like the short stroke of a short action, the 270 win is the smarter move. I have both calibers and wish they were in each other's brand. If my 270win was the tikka I'd carry it more. As mentioned before, if I didn't have a 270wsm I'd look at the 6.8western.

Fwiw, I'm pleased with my 270wsm but it's a pain to find components and off the shelf ammo is more plentiful as well as cheaper with the standard win. I also don't feel under gunned with the standard chambering compared to the wsm.

mts6175

FNG
I've hunted primarily with a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA 270 WSM for the past 15 years in Texas and will swear by it. It shoots cloverleafs with 130 grain Barnes TSX or Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.

The problem today is ammo is scarce for it. I have a Win Model 70 270 in the safe that's probably getting pulled back out this year because you can find ammo for it. Given the current state of the union, I'm wondering if it's going to be a nail in the coffin for the 270 WSM since every caliber out there is in supply constraints and it gets pushed to the back of the line for other calibers, like the 270.

Just something to think about.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
in this day and age of ammo/components shortages....

the value in a commonly found caliber should be shining brightly for all to see and comprehend.

if you are hell bent on going the wsm route, go with the 300. it is the best of all the wsm family.

ElPollo

WKR
in this day and age of ammo/components shortages....

the value in a commonly found caliber should be shining brightly for all to see and comprehend.

if you are hell bent on going the wsm route, go with the 300. it is the best of all the wsm family.
What is a commonly found caliber in this day and age?