.270 Win 145g ELDx vs 140g AccuBond for antelope/deer

Which .270 Win bullet would be best for deer/antelope?

• 145g Hornady ELD-x (explosive and accurate w/ high BC)

• 140g Nosler Accubond (bonded, accurate, can harvest elk)

• 130 Barnes TTSX (lead-free)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skawdee

FNG
Looking for a decent hunting load and have brewed up a sub-MOA grouping for each. Shall I go with either one of these or start a ladder test on the Barnes TTSX? I like the idea of not getting any lead in my game meat as we have a 3 year old. Gotta protect the family from all that stuff if we plan to continue eating wild.

axeforce6

WKR
It sounds like you’ve made your mind up. I’ve killed several deer with an ELDX and didn’t have problems with them. I had pass throughs on them didn’t find any fragments. I was using the 6.5 143gr and the 30 cal 200gr.

You have good reasons for going leadfree, I've been doing Barnes for 30 years. The .277 130 TTSX will kick the stuffing out of any elk (surprised just the Accubond was mentioned for elk) on any sane shot including strong quartering from either end. No experience with the Accubond. Not because I don't think it would do the job but the TTSX out of every one of my rifles shoots accurately and punches way above its weight in terms of terminal performance.

My 270 Win shoots the 110 TTSX, '06 shoots the 130 TTSX and 35 Whelen AI shoots the 200 TTSX. The first two cartridges have taken pronghorn, deer and elk with the listed bullets, the Whelen AI mule deer and elk. Haven't recovered one yet from any species with any three of those rifles, which says more about the ability to take something besides a broadside shot which those rifles have very capably done with those bullets.

CoStick

WKR
I run 129lrx but the 110 ttsx are appealing. I have 85 tsx as well

I have a box of the 129 LRX, as the BC makes a lot of sense versus the 130 TTSX. Want to work up a load for them this year. The 110 TTSX is not far behind the 130 TTSX as far as BC and the velocity is so much higher that helped make my decision, and 110's shoot very accurately in my rifle.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a box of the 129 LRX, as the BC makes a lot of sense versus the 130 TTSX. Want to work up a load for them this year. The 110 TTSX is not far behind the 130 TTSX as far as BC and the velocity is so much higher that helped make my decision, and 110's shoot very accurately in my rifle.

35, what powder are you using for that load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is outside the realm of most loading manuals however I had a bunch of RL19 and I worked up a load with the 110 TTSX. It's definitely a somewhat compressed charge and shoots very well. I have found, relatively speaking, light for caliber Barnes bullets tend to like a slightly slower powder than regular cup and core bullets of the same weight. Ramshot Hunter gives best velocity in Barnes data for the 110 TTSX, and RL19 is ever so slightly quicker burning, so thought is was worth a try.