.270 Win or .300 WM

archp625

WKR
Good morning everyone. My friends and I got drawn for a Type 1 Antelope tag in Wyoming. We have never been out there. I have a Tikka T3 in .270 and a Steyr Prohunter in 300 WM. I can shoot both well. The .270 has a BDC reticle and the .300 WM I dial. My good side says take the .270 and my bad side says take the 300. I shoot 130 gr Interlocks out of the 270 and 180 grain accubonds out of the 300 WM. I don't plan on changing due to the guns shooting these rounds really well. For the guys that have gone, what would you take?

wytx

WKR
270 is a great antelope caliber, 300wm is a little overkill for them imo but certainly will get the job done.
Wind drift may be your only concern with the 130 gr bullet but just work your stalk with wind in mind.

Whichever one wont make you cry to belly crawl with. Weight could be a consideration as well (not familiar with the steyr). Love me some Tikkas though...love me some 300WM as well. No bad choice, good problem to have.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300wsm and a 270 and take the 270 every time for lope. Out of our group of 6, we have 3 .270, 2 25/06 and 1 30/06.

Mt Al

WKR
'nuther vote for 270. Very easy to kill, small critters with little meat. You can't go wrong either way though. If your bad side smothers the good side just before you go, be happy.

Bringing this thread back to life. I have a hells canyon 300 wsm topped woth a maven rs1, that shoots 200gr terminal ascents well. I also have a savage axos scope combo in a 6.5 man bun. Obviously the 300 is over kill but would you think as long as i aim Further back from the shoulder i wont blow it up to bad with those terminal ascents? Other wise my other option is buying a better scope for the hippy gun. With cabelas points, but id rather save the points for solething else if you guys think i wont blow ot up to bad. I also have a mule deer tag in the same time and unit.
Thanks
Edit: i should add id be using factory ammo and shots would probably be no more then 400. Id also consider trying to find lighter bullets for the 300 if you think that would help

FLS

WKR
If the 200s are shooting well for you, don’t change. Neither animal is that hard to kill and I don’t imagine that 200 grain 30 cal bullet will blow up even at close range.

I was more worried about the antelope blowing up lol but yeah generally im a believer in not messing woth stuff that works but i havent shot an antelope so im not sure how much damage it could cause

FLS

WKR
Their have a light frame. I would expect that bullet to punch right through even if it encounters bone.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this thread back to life. I have a hells canyon 300 wsm topped woth a maven rs1, that shoots 200gr terminal ascents well. I also have a savage axos scope combo in a 6.5 man bun. Obviously the 300 is over kill but would you think as long as i aim Further back from the shoulder i wont blow it up to bad with those terminal ascents? Other wise my other option is buying a better scope for the hippy gun. With cabelas points, but id rather save the points for solething else if you guys think i wont blow ot up to bad. I also have a mule deer tag in the same time and unit.
Thanks
Edit: i should add id be using factory ammo and shots would probably be no more then 400. Id also consider trying to find lighter bullets for the 300 if you think that would help
Is the 6.5 man bun a new cartridge. LOL this is the funniest thing I've heard. I guess you can't admit you own a 6.5 creedmore without making fun of it. I bought my 6.5 creedmore exclusively for unicorn hunts. You need a magic bullet to hunt magic animals.

Unckebob

WKR
Thanks

If your Axis shoots like my 6.5CM Savage, it is a sub-MOA gun with Hornady 143g ELD-x bullets. If you don't reload, their Precision Hunter line comes with that bullet.

Just put on a better scope and you are good to go. (You are probably ok with the existing scope. I just wouldn't trust for a long shot)