.270 Winchester - 22” or 24”

Cruiser

FNG
New to Rokslide but the content is awesome.

22” vs 24” barrels on a .270 Winchester seems to be a pretty controversial topic. What are the forum’s thoughts? I hunt mostly whitetail in the Southeast and Texas and want to be able to make a 450 yard shot If I need to.

Also would love to hear any rifle recommendations with your choice of barrel length (keep in mind the 450 yard shot).

Thanks!

Graves14

WKR
My only hunting rifle is a model 70 featherweight in .270 and it has a 22” barrel.

on a trip in the frank myself and 2 hunting partners each took one single shot at 432yds and we shot a 3” group. We are all bow hunters that occasionally rifle hunt so that was astounding for us lol.

I have found that the shorter barrel likes heavier bullets. In particular the 145 eld x (Hornady Precision Hunter) ammo has been the most accurate.

just my experience

stevevan

WKR
W
My only hunting rifle is a model 70 featherweight in .270 and it has a 22” barrel.

on a trip in the frank myself and 2 hunting partners each took one single shot at 432yds and we shot a 3” group. We are all bow hunters that occasionally rifle hunt so that was astounding for us lol.

I have found that the shorter barrel likes heavier bullets. In particular the 145 eld x (Hornady Precision Hunter) ammo has been the most accurate.

just my experience
Without a doubt. 22"

MHWASH

WKR
I have no trouble reaching 2900+FPS in 2 different 22” .270s. If I were looking for a new 270 I’d go Tikka all the way.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say it depends on your preference for hunting. If you tend to walk through the woods or bushy areas then a 22" would be better off. If you like open areas I don't think an extra 2" of barrel would be noticed much.

I like 22" on my short actions rifles & 24" on my long action rifles. The extra powder in them seems appropriate to add an extra 2" to the barrel. It's not necessary, just personal preference.

Wrench

WKR
It's worth reading Charlie Sisk and Frank Green''s studies on barrel length vs velocity and Harold Vaughan's length vs accuracy.

With that said....22" for the win.