270 wsm 2nd update

ST52v

WKR
My brother sent me this picture from the range today. I think we have a winner!!! It's been tough finding supplys but we have managed to find what we need. This was H4831 sc at 300 yards.

drake2h

FNG
That is some great shooting! How many grains of H4831 sc, and what bullet? Also, what was the overall length? I love my 270 WSM but haven't been able to touch a group like that with 140 grain Barnes TSX pushed by RL 17.

OP
S

ST52v

WKR
I think he was 1 grain over max. He is shooting the 140 accu bond and factory length. His gun likes the factory shells loaded with the 140 Ab so thats where he started. He shot this group as well. Same 140 Ab at the same length using RL 19 I think. I think the wind probably pushed 2 to the right or is hold on the target changed a little. We have noticed with a 10X scope at 300 yds your aiming is not real precise. You could probably be an inch either way and not realy know it. After our first test he noticed the action screws were loose. We have learned a lot and continue to do so. Make sure you de-bur the inside of the primer pocket and he is also only neck sizeing his cases. The next pic is a load with retumbo. We are going to try it with the bullet just of the lands. He would like to try some 150's with that powder. I think his 140 Ab have about the highest BC there is for the 270. We want to stick with the extreme powders to have consistant results in any temps.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That is some great shooting! How many grains of H4831 sc, and what bullet? Also, what was the overall length? I love my 270 WSM but haven't been able to touch a group like that with 140 grain Barnes TSX pushed by RL 17.

I really like how the Barnes work on animals but they are one of the least consistent bullets on the market. Noslers are pretty good usually and Bergers are really consistent.

I'm talking weight, length and how round they are.

I'm not saying that you can't get the TSX to shoot well but I think you will get better groups with other bullets most of the time.

drake2h

FNG
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I initially chose the Barnes because I'd had success with them on game, but I would say my results at the range have been inconsistent. Maybe it's time to give the Accubonds another shot. What kind of luck have you guys had with Bergers on animals? Any bad stories?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Berger's flat kick ass! Don't be afraid to shot them at any distance. I've used them at 15 feet to 808 yards. That being said I've used AB with great results also.