270 wsm bullet choice for elk

Hello all,
I have a tikka 270 wsm that I used to shoot an elk a few years back with a hornady precision hunter eld-x 145 grain bullet at 325 yards. I was less then impressed with results. The bullet did not expand at all. Pencil holed straight through both sides of elk. No blood trail at all. Bull acted like he wasn’t even hit. I searched 4 hours and found him piled up 150 yards from where I shot him. Do not want that to happen again. Current issue is with limited ammo I currently have hornady outfitter gmx 130 grain ammo, nosler accubonds 140 grain, and also more of the eld-x that the rifle shoots sub moa with. Question is did I get a bad bullet? I’ve started reading other guys having issues with that bullet. Should I switch to one my other bullets I haven’t shot? Thanks in advance, have a 13 year preference point tag this year and really don’t want to take a risk.

CoStick

WKR
I use 129 lrx, but have done well on elk with 150 GMx in a . 308 as well. I like the gmx

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken 3 bulls with 140 gr accubonds in my 270 wsm. Good performance each time with ranges from 225-350 yards.

Laramie

WKR
I don't care for the GMX. I'm honestly a little ticked at Hornady that they quit loading the Interbond. The next best thing, imo, is the accubond. They perform very well on elk.

Hello all,
I have a tikka 270 wsm that I used to shoot an elk a few years back with a hornady precision hunter eld-x 145 grain bullet at 325 yards. I was less then impressed with results. The bullet did not expand at all. Pencil holed straight through both sides of elk. No blood trail at all. Bull acted like he wasn’t even hit. I searched 4 hours and found him piled up 150 yards from where I shot him. Do not want that to happen again. Current issue is with limited ammo I currently have hornady outfitter gmx 130 grain ammo, nosler accubonds 140 grain, and also more of the eld-x that the rifle shoots sub moa with. Question is did I get a bad bullet? I’ve started reading other guys having issues with that bullet. Should I switch to one my other bullets I haven’t shot? Thanks in advance, have a 13 year preference point tag this year and really don’t want to take a risk.

Can I ask how you know it didn’t expand at all? Did you find the bullet? Him going 150 yards and piling up seems like the bullet did do its job, it killed the bull just not as quickly as you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m an Accubond fan. I shoot a .270 win, 130 grain Accubonds from 50-350 yards have produced impressive results for me. Out of the wsm 140 grain Accubond should be a great bullet for elk.

If the accubond shoot MOA groups I would recommend using them. If not the ELD will get the job done. Put them into the vitals and you will have no problem.

OP
S
Thanks alot everyone for the feedback. Accubond definitely seems like the ticket

kcm2

WKR
I've used both the 130 GX and GMX from Hornady in my 270, and the 140 Accubond in a 270 WSM. You are in the "which excellent choice can I make" area. I've also used the 130 TTSX in my 270 Wby with no complaints. Pick one, have fun.

jimmy33

WKR
140 accubond, 150 partition, 130 grain etip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a few years ago when my son was younger he used his 270 wsm with 140 accubond on colorado elk for his first two years and both seasons killed bulls at 300+ yds in 1 to 2 shots. he now uses the rifle for mulies with 130 accubonds and has had great success.