270WSM Help

jimmy33

WKR
Gentlemen,
This is my first year reloading so I am learning a lot. This is where I’m stuck. I’m shooting a 270 WSM in browning X bolt long range with 67.5 grains of Ramshot magnum powder and 145 grain Hornady ELDX. I was seating the bullet at 2.80 COAL and I was getting very slight pressure on the bold handle lift. However, I was stacking bullets for my groups. The next three bullets I’ve made I seated the bullet out further for a COAL of 2.850. This made it so I had no pressure at all on the bolt handle but my groups grew to 1.5. My question is, do I just keep my original recipe even though I’m getting very very slight pressure on the bolt handle? Or would my magic recipe be somewhere between a COAL of 2.8 and 2.850?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You are likely either seeing an anomaly group, or on a incredibly narrow window of the wave.

Personally, I would back off to zero pressure signs, find the wider node and then dial seating.

Seating should not be affecting your load in minutes.....it should be more like .25 or less.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
You are likely either seeing an anomaly group, or on a incredibly narrow window of the wave.

Personally, I would back off to zero pressure signs, find the wider node and then dial seating.

Seating should not be affecting your load in minutes.....it should be more like .25 or less.

Copy

A382DWDZQ

WKR
That seems low to be getting sticky bolt. Isn’t the recipe for the 140/145 66.2-73.5 for Magnum?

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Did velocity match with published data? Also, what primers and cases, and with cases, are they new to this chamber?

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
Did velocity match with published data? Also, what primers and cases, and with cases, are they new to this chamber?

Velocity was 3150 fps…faster than what I was expecting at that powder charge. Federal large magnum primers and once shot nosler brass that was fired from this rifle

kota

FNG
Seems really hot compared to ramshot’s load data. Might be worth checking your scale and pulling one apart to see if it really is what you think it should be (case dimensions, powder charge etc).

A382DWDZQ

WKR
+1 for check the scale. No oil residue in chamber right? I would also be curious how far off the lands it is, what the case length is, and what the case capacity is. I tried just working through the numbers again and I get a min charge of 65.40-65.44 and max of 72.68-72.73 as a split between the 140gr and 150gr. Would be interesting to see what Quickloads says for this too. Another thought was to try a different powder with those same COALs and see if it matches the book or matches your results with Magnum. Not sure what I would make of that either way, but it might narrow it down.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
I have a digital scale...I will compare it with my buddies. Thanks for the replies.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Pick up a set of weights when you get a chance. It’s worth it for that one time when the scale you use to compare to is also off.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
Lots of toys to buy when starting to reload...Ill let you know what I find out.

Sled

WKR
Were you compressing powder at your previous load? With an eldx your coal of 2.85 is not very long. How far off the lands are you? Are your primers flat or do you see any cratering?

My factory 270wsm barrel always ran high pressure with moderate loads. I found the best success with slower powders and heavier bullets, like you are trying now. Staying off the lands was important too. Light loads would show pressure signs when I got too close.

JDM270WSM

FNG
In my Tikka 270 WSM I run 67.1 gr of reloder 26 with the 145 eldx , runs just over 3200fps. I use cci 250 primers
with this load and I run it .030 off the lands. This load shoots 1/2" groups. I had problems reaching pressure too soon with federal 215 primers.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
Were you compressing powder at your previous load? With an eldx your coal of 2.85 is not very long. How far off the lands are you? Are your primers flat or do you see any cratering?

My factory 270wsm barrel always ran high pressure with moderate loads. I found the best success with slower powders and heavier bullets, like you are trying now. Staying off the lands was important too. Light loads would show pressure signs when I got too close.

I had no pressure signs on the primer.