270wsm info needed

MT257

WKR
I am looking at buying a 270wsm for the wife as an elk gun. She shoots the 243 very well already, but I am curious if anyone else out there has any insight on what the recoil is like. I know I have shot a 300wsm and the recoil is nothing like that of the recoil of at 300 win mag. We went to the store and had her shoulder a few different rifles. She felt comfortable with the Tikka, Bergara and Savage. Any info is appreciated! Also, the 6.5 is not an option. Thanks

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 270 win and my brother has a 270 wsm. I can’t tell the difference between the 2, shot side by side . It’s a little more kick than a 243 But not bad... we took my grandmother out last year shooting and she was shooting my 270 and didn’t complain about it and she is nearly 70 years old. She actually liked shooting it. So i think your wife should be able to handle it. You could always look into a muzzle break for her if it is too much tho.

I think some people scare new shooters too much by talking about recoil and making a big Deal about it before they even shoot. Just my opinion.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I agree with the statement about recoil. I just want her to feel comfortable shooting the rifle at all times not just one or two shots.

tdhanses

WKR
Add a muzzle brake and it’ll be similar to a .308. I don’t think the wsm recoil is bad but a brake will tame it down, which is the goal so she enjoys shooting it. My 270wsm is a gun I can shoot all day, but never know how she’ll react till she shoots it.

Why not get her a .308 and brake it for an even easier shooting gun that’ll do well on elk.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
We won't put a brake on it. Yes it tames the recoil, but the side effects if there is no time in the feild to put hearing protection before a shot is a major downside.

hodgeman

WKR
270WSM recoil is on par with a 30-06, about 20 ft/lbs in an 8 pound rifle. If the stock fits her correctly- I wouldn't think she'd have any issue with it.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
270WSM recoil is on par with a 30-06, about 20 ft/lbs in an 8 pound rifle. If the stock fits her correctly- I wouldn't think she'd have any issue with it.

Is that 8 pounds including scope or bare bones rifle?

hodgeman

WKR
Is that 8 pounds including scope or bare bones rifle?

That's total weight. There are quite a few recoil calculators that allow you to input the variables (bullet weight, MV, gun weight, charge weight) and it calculates the recoil force and velocity. A 30-06 is nominally 20 ft/lbs and considered the upper limit that most people can learn to shoot well. You can play around with them and see how changing bullet weights or adding a heavier or lighter scope can effect the recoil.

As a note- most women can handle significantly more recoil than we give them credit for so long as the stock fits them properly. A stock that is too long will make even a moderate amount of recoil unbearable. I'd shop for stock fit first and cartridge second- there are so many good cartridges and bullets out there, lots of choices for deer and elk rifles.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
That's total weight. There are quite a few recoil calculators that allow you to input the variables (bullet weight, MV, gun weight, charge weight) and it calculates the recoil force and velocity. A 30-06 is nominally 20 ft/lbs and considered the upper limit that most people can learn to shoot well. You can play around with them and see how changing bullet weights or adding a heavier or lighter scope can effect the recoil.

As a note- most women can handle significantly more recoil than we give them credit for so long as the stock fits them properly. A stock that is too long will make even a moderate amount of recoil unbearable. I'd shop for stock fit first and cartridge second- there are so many good cartridges and bullets out there, lots of choices for deer and elk rifles.

I will have to do that. And I do agree they can probably handle more than we think. I will do a google search on proper rifle stock fit, but do you have any suggestions on that?

hodgeman

WKR
I will have to do that. And I do agree they can probably handle more than we think. I will do a google search on proper rifle stock fit, but do you have any suggestions on that?

I'd probably start with a Wby Camilla and have her compare it side by side with something else. In general, ladies stocks need to be a little shorter with some drop and cast- but every body is a little different.. I'm setting up one for a friend's wife and the difference is pretty remarkable.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I have looked at those and the adjustable stock that savage 110 offers looks pretty handy.

Sled

WKR
I shot a Tikka 270wsm for several years. I find it is a slightly harder kick than my 270win but less than a 30-06 and on par with my .308. a good stock that fits well and limbsaver pad is what I'd choose over a muzzle brake. Fwiw, I shot the same Tikka 270wsm with a radial mb and factory pad vs no mb and limbsaver pad. I kept the limbsaver and ditched the mb.

Also, the grain projectile you choose will have an effect on the recoil. Heavier projectile gives more push back at the shoulder.

HRH2K

FNG
I’ve been shooting the .270 WSM since I was a young teenager. With lighter bullets (130 gr), I find it pretty comparable to 308, light bullet 30-06, or 270 win in a similar rifle. I’ve been shooting the 160 grain Nosler partitions in handloads (3000 FPS) the recoil is more like the 7mm mag or comparable. Rifle is Tikka T3, about 8 lbs total. I would think going with a lighter bullet of relatively tougher construction would be best bet.

I bought one when they came out, I was 14. Browning hunter field, so has a shorter stock. About 7.5 pounds.

I shoot 150gr soft point, winchester factory ammo. I think it shoots with little more recoil than my comparable weighted standard 270s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im putting a tikka 270wsm together for my 5’4 girlfriend. With a good PVA brake and finished weight of around 8 pounds it should be quite mild. You can always handload reduced power loads if it’s an issue.

16Bore

WKR
It’s kinda sharp and fast in a Kimber Montana. Plain old vanilla 270 would do me fine.

NoWiser

WKR
I have a Tikka 270 WSM. I would most definitely not call the recoil "mild". Lighter bullets help, but 150 grainers out of it are not fun and I have zero interest in shooting a box of them at the bench. Of course, on game, it's unnoticeable. If she's at all recoil shy, I'd go a different route.

TripleJ

WKR
I've shot a Savage 270WSM for about 10 years. I shoot 140 grain AB handloads. I've always had a limbsaver pad on it. I may be a wuss, but I wouldn't call the recoil mild. I ended up putting a brake on mine this year, it's really pleasant to shoot now. If you get the right brake, you shouldn't have to worry about hearing damage, or at least any more then a stock gun.

Wolf76

FNG
While a 270 wsm is a fine elk round, the 308 might be a better fit in this case. A 130 ttsx would definitely do a number on elk and be very gentle on the shoulder. You could upsize the bullet as skills develope. Consider a radial brake too, as they offer mild recoil reductions without much increase in percussion.
As mentioned prior, stock fit is huge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: