270wsm info needed

Sled

WKR
I've shot a Savage 270WSM for about 10 years. I shoot 140 grain AB handloads. I've always had a limbsaver pad on it. I may be a wuss, but I wouldn't call the recoil mild. I ended up putting a brake on mine this year, it's really pleasant to shoot now. If you get the right brake, you shouldn't have to worry about hearing damage, or at least any more then a stock gun.

One thing I mentioned before is to not overlook the stock fit and quality. An example that taught me this was a Savage fp10 in 308. It was a heavy rifle at around 12lbs. It kicked hard. Reminded me of all the rem 700 30-06 that I disliked. The stock had a firm butt and didn't fit great. The same caliber and projectile in a different firearm was a real smooth shooter for me. It was even 4lbs lighter.

If you can get her to try before buying, that's the best way to go. If the 6.5cm is an option, I'd go that way. If not, 270win/ 7mm-08. My wife shoots both well. No brake needed.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
One thing I mentioned before is to not overlook the stock fit and quality. An example that taught me this was a Savage fp10 in 308. It was a heavy rifle at around 12lbs. It kicked hard. Reminded me of all the rem 700 30-06 that I disliked. The stock had a firm butt and didn't fit great. The same caliber and projectile in a different firearm was a real smooth shooter for me. It was even 4lbs lighter.

If you can get her to try before buying, that's the best way to go. If the 6.5cm is an option, I'd go that way. If not, 270win/ 7mm-08. My wife shoots both well. No brake needed.

I wish rifles had an option to try before you buy cause that would removed alot of the uncertainty. I will not buy a 6.5cm, its a great rifle and all but it is not an elk cartridge. Can it kill an elk yes, but there are better options out there. 270 or 7-08 have been thrown around but not really thought to hard on just yet.

Sled

WKR
I bet you could find someone in Montana to let her shoot a kicker once or twice to find out what she'll tolerate. If you come down to Utah she's welcome to try a couple of mine.

bhylton

WKR
270win vs 270WSM....is an extra 200fps gonna kill an elk more dead'er?

nope.....

OP
M

MT257

WKR
270win vs 270WSM....is an extra 200fps gonna kill an elk more dead'er?

nope.....

Your right dead is dead, but I would rather have the speed vs wish i could get more speed. I think Weatherby had it right in the category that speed kills...

BluMtn

WKR
In my younger days I thought anybody that shot the 270 was a little weak. If you wanted to hunt you need power, so I had all the big horsepower guns. For years I carried a 300 RUM because it was a death laser killing machine. Only problem with it was as I got older I began a distaste of pulling the trigger unless I had an animal in my sights then I never minded the kick. Target practice was a flinching, teeth popping, sore shoulder routine that I began to avoid. Fast forward to the release of the 270 WSM. I bought one and have basically retired all my other guns and just use it for everything I want to hunt. Recoil is not that bad and it is lightweight and also very accurate. So I guess I am weak. The only change I would make to my gun now is, I would like to unscrew the 24" barrel and install a 28" barrel to get a little more speed out of her.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a tikka in 270wsm. Nice rifle and caliber. I also shoot a Rem model 7 in 7mm-08. If I were looking for the perfect rifle for a female hunter it is that model 7 in that caliber. Easy to shoot. Short LOP. Plenty of possible hand loading options. This is my first post. I hope it had some value.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I shoot a tikka in 270wsm. Nice rifle and caliber. I also shoot a Rem model 7 in 7mm-08. If I were looking for the perfect rifle for a female hunter it is that model 7 in that caliber. Easy to shoot. Short LOP. Plenty of possible hand loading options. This is my first post. I hope it had some value.

model 7 in 270wsm or 7-08mm?

I have been in a similar situation as yourself. I initially had my wife shooting the .243 and she was a dead eye. We moved her up to a .270 WSM with a brake. Why it was tolerable, she did not enjoy shooting it, even at animals. Fast forward to now, we’ve moved “back down” to the 7mm-08 and it is a great all around gun for her (and me). We don’t do a lot of distance shooting and everything we shoot is 400 yards or less. We shoot a 140 accubond out of that gun and it has no problem with elk. I personally like to keep energy at 1500 ft/lbs to kill an elk and that gun caries that easy out to 400. I guess what are your intentions with the gun? Long distance killing or “everyday shooter”? For me and my wife I would guess the WSM might be a little much.

Also, I feel like the recoil on a 270 WSM is a “sharp” recoil if that makes sense. Is it tolerable and acceptable, yes. Is it a great caliber, yes. BUT, my wife definitely enjoys shooting the 7mm-08 much better and it’s easier for her to handle. My 270 WSM is mid 8 pounds and the 7mm08 is just barely over 6 pounds. Easier for her to carry around.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I have been in a similar situation as yourself. I initially had my wife shooting the .243 and she was a dead eye. We moved her up to a .270 WSM with a brake. Why it was tolerable, she did not enjoy shooting it, even at animals. Fast forward to now, we’ve moved “back down” to the 7mm-08 and it is a great all around gun for her (and me). We don’t do a lot of distance shooting and everything we shoot is 400 yards or less. We shoot a 140 accubond out of that gun and it has no problem with elk. I personally like to keep energy at 1500 ft/lbs to kill an elk and that gun caries that easy out to 400. I guess what are your intentions with the gun? Long distance killing or “everyday shooter”? For me and my wife I would guess the WSM might be a little much.

My intention is to have a larger rifle than her 243 that she can kill larger game with. Will se shoot larger critters than an elk? I doubt it as she has expressed no interest in them so I guess my question/goal is to get a rifle she can comfortably shoot an animal with that has a little more capability than her 243. I mean I have a gun that I normally carry that could be used to shoot to 600 if need be but my guess is she won’t feel comfortable taking tbat shot. Do you feel the 7-08 is capable of killing a bull elk or do you think a 270 with 130 accubonds would be a better fit?

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed elk with a 270win. I shot a 6x6 once with 150 partitions 4 times. Knocked him down every time. Shots were all placed well. From my perspective not ideal. I have killed many deer with the 270wsm and with the 7mm-08. Either will kill an elk With proper shot placement and a good bullet. The 7mm-08 offers a larger variety of bullet options and greater sectional density. It is a great round. The 140 AB would be my primary choice but no doubt a heavier projectile might group well for her. My seat of the pants feeling is that the WSM seems to recoil more and seems to have a more significant muzzle blast. That 7 is just a pleasure to shoot.

I think a 7mm-08 has more than enough power to kill a bull elk. As long as she is capable of shot placement and the distance isn’t too far. Based on MY personal preferences, we don’t shoot elk past 400 yards with the 7-08. And we use accubond 140s and been very happy with them.

Bsnyder

WKR
My wife 5’4 110 pounds shoots an remmy sps with 140 tsxs all day long and they are loaded hot she says it’s a little more than 308 as far as what she felt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you feel the 7-08 is capable of killing a bull elk or do you think a 270 with 130 accubonds would be a better fit?

What actual difference do you believe there is between the two in “killing”?

OP
M

MT257

WKR
What actual difference do you believe there is between the two in “killing”?

I like the critters that are being shot to drop right there. No real tracking necessary. Yes I understand that if the shooter doesnt do their part things may need tracking, but I personally shoot the 257 weatherby and have killed 8 elk. 1.5 steps after bullet impact combined on all those elk and all are through the boiler room not spine shots. So I guess what I am asking is, will the 7-08 need more than one shot to kill an elk will there be enough energy that the critter wont move after impact if bullet is properly place. Same for the 270 win?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I like the critters that are being shot to drop right there. No real tracking necessary. Yes I understand that if the shooter doesnt do their part things may need tracking, but I personally shoot the 257 weatherby and have killed 8 elk. 1.5 steps after bullet impact combined on all those elk and all are through the boiler room not spine shots. So I guess what I am asking is, will the 7-08 need more than one shot to kill an elk will there be enough energy that the critter wont move after impact if bullet is properly place. Same for the 270 win?

Energy does not kill animals. Destroyed tissue does.

You could shoot a thousand elk with all cartridges between 6mm and 7mm with appropriate bullets, video each one, have each one dead at your feet to look at.... and you wouldn’t be able to tell which was shot with which.

The wound channels between a 270 and 7mm-08 are indistinguishable with good bullets. If anything, the 7mm-08 will have wider and deeper wounds with the best bullets.

Sled

WKR
One thing to consider is most female hunters don't have the same hang up males have about caliber/projectile size. From my perspective, the elk don't care either. If she knows how to shoot,let her pick a gun that fits her in a caliber with mild to medium recoil. If it's not a pain to shoot then she'll love the rifle because it is hers. Also she's more likely to practice with it.

if the rifle is for you but she can shoot and hunt with it then disregard the above advice. Buy what you want.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
Energy does not kill animals. Destroyed tissue does.

You could shoot a thousand elk with all cartridges between 6mm and 7mm with appropriate bullets, video each one, have each one dead at your feet to look at.... and you wouldn’t be able to tell which was shot with which.

The wound channels between a 270 and 7mm-08 are indistinguishable with good bullets. If anything, the 7mm-08 will have wider and deeper wounds with the best bullets.

Doesn't increased energy, increase the amount of destroyed tissue, which then creates a dead critter? I guess I want the bullet I am shooting to deposit as much energy into the animal which is more shock the animal has to absorb on top of destroyed tissue and have just enough energy to poke through the opposite side of the animal to have another hole to be able to bleed out.