.277 140 gr accubond bullets - different lengths

While loading for my daughters Tikka 270 WSM I was making the OAL close to the magazine length. When I made my next batch of ammo for her using the same Base to Ogive length, the finished rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine. After the first six rounds were made I had to open a new box of .277 140 Gr. Accubonds to finish the lot of 50, but what I didn't realize was that the new box of accubonds had an overall bullet length that was about .030" longer, the extra length being from the ogive to the end of the polymer tip.
Is this normal or acceptable deviation? Has anyone else seen this?

LaHunter

WKR
I have loaded for my 7 mag using the 160 grain AB bullets for several years. My rifle is not magazine limited, so I never even measure cartridge total length or the length of the bullets.
From different lots of bullets, I may need to adjust my bullet seating die by .002-.005 to maintain my target CBTO measurement.
I would bet that most of the .030" difference is in the poly tip.

Good Luck

OP
westdreamer
I have loaded for my 7 mag using the 160 grain AB bullets for several years. My rifle is not magazine limited, so I never even measure cartridge total length or the length of the bullets.
From different lots of bullets, I may need to adjust my bullet seating die by .002-.005 to maintain my target CBTO measurement.
I would bet that most of the .030" difference is in the poly tip.

Good Luck
Yeah, that is probably right about the polymer tip. I think I read on here somewhere before that with the Tikka's, you can use a mag for a different cartridge, maybe a 7-rem mag magazine, or 300 win-mag magazine, and use it with the 270 WSM to gain extra OAL with your 270 WSM loads. I'll have to try to find that info.

Hudge

FNG
I just reloaded for my 300 WSM this weekend, and ran into the same thing with 180 Gr. Accubond. I was surprised how much longer the new box was over the old box. A little frustrating to say the least.