.277 bullets for hunting.

Mark D

FNG
I’m in process of having a 6.8 western built and looking at different bullets for reloading. I hunt in Ky where most of our shots are less than 200 yds but I have a couple of areas now where I can reach out to 400+ yards. I’ve typically used partitions and been satisfied with them but with longer yardage coming into play I wasn’t sure about them. I’ve looked at the Following bullets.
Nosler accubond LR
Federal terminal ascent
Berger classic hunter and elite
Federal trophy bonded
Hornady ELDX
Hammer hunter
Barnes TTSX
and keeping the partition.
Most everything I’m reading have been positive on all these except burger and some were saying that due to thin walls it fragments on impact. What are your guys experiences with these bullets and will they with the higher BC’s do ok at short ranges also.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in process of having a 6.8 western built and looking at different bullets for reloading. I hunt in Ky where most of our shots are less than 200 yds but I have a couple of areas now where I can reach out to 400+ yards. I’ve typically used partitions and been satisfied with them but with longer yardage coming into play I wasn’t sure about them. I’ve looked at the Following bullets.
Nosler accubond LR
Federal terminal ascent
Berger classic hunter and elite
Federal trophy bonded
Hornady ELDX
Hammer hunter
Barnes TTSX
and keeping the partition.
Most everything I’m reading have been positive on all these except burger and some were saying that due to thin walls it fragments on impact. What are your guys experiences with these bullets and will they with the higher BC’s do ok at short ranges also.

I’ve been very happy with the eld-x myself. My cousin hunts big game in Alaska and swears by the TTSX but also likes the eld-x as well. Placement is paramount with any caliber but with what you’re intending to use I wouldn’t have any second thoughts on deer at 400 if confident you can place as needed. My .243AI stopped a muley buck in his tracks at 250 this year with the 103 Eld-x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as hunting bullets, 6.8 Western is the ticket for pushing long for caliber bullets and longer range. I would recommend the TTSX from experience on pronghorn, muley's and elk from my .270 Win (110 TTSX, 3400 fps mv) but go with a bit heavier TTSX because of the case capacity and ability to get really good velocity with a slightly heavier, but still light for caliber, mono.

With that said, the 270 Win with a 150 gr ABLR vs a 6.8 Western with a 165 gr ABLR has only 2.5" more bullet drop at 500 yds when zeroed at 200 yds. Going to have to get way out there to realize the benefit of the 6.8 Western.

OP
M

Mark D

FNG
I’ve been looking in the 130-150 GR bullet range. Will have a 25” hells canyon CF barrel with brake once done so she get all the velocity I want out of the cartridge.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy had an Nosler accubond LR out of his 280AI pass through the back of a buck at close range without expanding so he stays away from them these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking in the 130-150 GR bullet range. Will have a 25” hells canyon CF barrel with brake once done so she get all the velocity I want out of the cartridge.
I really like the bbl length and the bullet weights. Still can't get my mind around going short, adding 5" of suppressor, then finding the biggest case to make up velocity.

Why go 6.8 western if you’re not using the long heavy bullets?
Would give versatility if there is no detriment with shooting lighter bullets in the faster twist of a 6.8 Western.

Serious question here, is there a point where the faster twist is a detriment when going with lighter bullets, or is that a one-way street where it is an issue with long bullets and standard twist?

As for the ABLR passing through the back of a buck (shot high? Shot hit far back on the animal?), gremlins happen or the shot was just not good?. Did the buck get recovered to say the bullet went through the back without expanding? No reason not to look at the AB or ABLR, they have been great bullets for 100's of thousands of successful hunts.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mark D

FNG
I really like the bbl length and the bullet weights. Still can't get my mind around going short, adding 5" of suppressor, then finding the biggest case to make up velocity.

Would give versatility if there is no detriment with shooting lighter bullets in the faster twist of a 6.8 Western.

Serious question here, is there a point where the faster twist is a detriment when going with lighter bullets, or is that a one-way street where it is an issue with long bullets and standard twist?

As for the ABLR passing through the back of a buck (shot high? Shot hit far back on the animal?), gremlins happen or the shot was just not good?. Did the buck get recovered to say the bullet went through the back without expanding? No reason not to look at the AB or ABLR, they have been great bullets for 100's of thousands of successful hunts.
I’m not using a 5” suppressor. I’m using a hell canyon muzzle brake.

I’m not using a 5” suppressor. I’m using a hell canyon muzzle brake.
Right, that was my point. I like what you are doing. I can't get my mind around what many guys are doing with short barrels to make the gun manageable with a 5" suppressor, and using big cases to make up the velocity.