28 Nosler chambering

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I’m having a 28 Nosler built and the gunsmith finally has the action and barrel and is getting ready to put it together. One thing we’re trying to decide on is how far to have the chamber reamed. The original option was doing a .310 free bore on it but I’m worried that’s a bit too much since after awhile I’ll need to start chasing the lands. Anyone have any insight? I plan on shooting the 190 Berger hybrids. Thanks!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Seat a dummy round, have him throat .020” longer. You can always chase the lands if you want by pushing the bullet farther up the neck of the case. It’s a 28 misled, don’t worry, you’ll be replacing the barrel in no time. lol!

Where your bullet will actually have a hard jam depends on freebore length, diameter, and leade angle but people typically only talk about freebore length. A lot of reamers use similar neck diameter/leade angle but it's something to be aware of.

My 7 SAUM chamber has 0.200" freebore and I wouldn't want to go any longer for 175 EH / 180 hybrids. 7 SAUM has just slightly longer neck than 28nos IIRC. The bearing surface is well clear of the neck/shoulder junction but the 195 has about 0.100 longer bearing surface.

"Chasing the lands" is a function of adjusting seating depth based throat erosion. People typically get shorter freebore if they want to chase the lands and longer if they are less worried about longer jumps and prioritize keeping the bearing surface in front of the neck/shoulder junction and pressure reduction.

Long story short, I think you'd be fine with that throat if you're shooting 190/184 bergers or 180 ELDs. But you'll be jumping a ways or have very little bearing surface in the neck with 180 berger class bullets.

Are you planning on running a wyatts box? Detachable magazine? Your OAL is what I’d consider first. .300-310 is what most long throated 28s are and setup for the 195s. I’m running the 195s in a Saami chamber at 3120.

OP
CC11

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning on running a wyatts box? Detachable magazine? Your OAL is what I’d consider first. .300-310 is what most long throated 28s are and setup for the 195s. I’m running the 195s in a Saami chamber at 3120.
Yup I have the wyatts extended box with a hinged floor plate. So by saami spec, I take it you didn't have any freebore done and it's shooting the 195s fine?

Yup I have the wyatts extended box with a hinged floor plate. So by saami spec, I take it you didn't have any freebore done and it's shooting the 195s fine?
That is correct. Factory freebore on the reamer used for this rifle.
If you have the wyatts box already and the action is already cut for a wyatts I would probably run a longer freebore then.

OP
CC11

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
That is correct. Factory freebore on the reamer used for this rifle.
If you have the wyatts box already and the action is already cut for a wyatts I would probably run a longer freebore then.
Thanks for the input. Just got off the phone with him and he's going to do about a .200 on it. Excited to finally get it and put it together!