280 ai build suggestions

I'm beginning the process of a my first 280 ai build. I have the action and bottom metal I want to use narrowed down but having a tough time deciding on barrel contour. I thought I wanted a 3b Bartlein 8 twist fluted but now considering a smaller contour. This will be strictly a hunting rifle and trying to find the happy medium on weight. I currently have a custom 300 WSM with a #4 fluted barrel in a McMillan A 3-5 and like it but want this 280 ai to come in a little lighter. Im considering bedding it in either a Mesa Altitude or McMillan game stalker. I would like to see if anyone has built a similar setup and mainly see weight and barrel contours. Thanks in advance

I’m interested in what action and bottom metal you’ve narrowed it down to. The Mesa altitude with the adjustable cheek just announced a month or so back would be my vote for stock . Do love my McMillan game scout tho on my 300wm . Was thinking of doing a 6.5 prc 20inch in a McMillan A-3 as soon as funds allow

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
I think your on the right track with your build. I had 280ai built this last year and went with a spiral fluted Bartlein #3 (26”) and very happy with the decision. Like you, it’s a hunting rifle. Without a scope it’s a shade under 7 lbs. What is your goal for weight?

This isn't exactly the info you're after, but it might help with some ideas. I think the overall idea of the build is in the same vein anyways.

This is a 6.5 PRC Build I did last year. Bare gun finished at 6.1 lbs.

Defiance ANTI XM Length Action
Defiance XM Aluminum bottom metal
Manners EH 3 GAP Elite Swamp Stock
Triggertech Special
21" Lilja #3 contour barrel, vortex spiral fluted by Paul @Pro Precision Rifles.
Cerekote FDE
Talley 1 piece aluminum mounts

Huskemaw Optics Blue Diamond 4-16 x 42mm scope Thunder Beast TBAC Ultra 7 Supressor

I've got handloads shooting .33 MOA or better (140gr Accubonds) @2950 fps. I wouldn't be afraid to go to a #3 contour barrel, or go a little shorter than some of these "long range rifles". It's more about a good barrel than a heavy or super long one. This gun handles fast, balances nice, and is really nice to carry. It's also capable at very long range. I shoot steel at 1000+ and am comfortable on game at 600 and under, if conditions are correct of course. The rifle is capable of more, but I'm not.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
df1465941a272829ca397bd7e0826cd3.jpg
3ce8d0828a95c71ac630941538647dbf.jpg

OP
704kubotaguy
I’m interested in what action and bottom metal you’ve narrowed it down to. The Mesa altitude with the adjustable cheek just announced a month or so back would be my vote for stock . Do love my McMillan game scout tho on my 300wm . Was thinking of doing a 6.5 prc 20inch in a McMillan A-3 as soon as funds allow
99% sure I'm going with a defiance ruckus GA Hunter and already purchased the hawkins M5 Obendorf bottom metal. Will the Mesa adjustable be a built in riser or slip over style?

OP
704kubotaguy
I think your on the right track with your build. I had 280ai built this last year and went with a spiral fluted Bartlein #3 (26”) and very happy with the decision. Like you, it’s a hunting rifle. Without a scope it’s a shade under 7 lbs. What is your goal for weight?
Thats exactly where I want to be before glass is around 7 lbs or so. I was thinking 24" on the barrel. Would there be any specific reason to go 26"?

OP
704kubotaguy
This isn't exactly the info you're after, but it might help with some ideas. I think the overall idea of the build is in the same vein anyways.

This is a 6.5 PRC Build I did last year. Bare gun finished at 6.1 lbs.

Defiance ANTI XM Length Action
Defiance XM Aluminum bottom metal
Manners EH 3 GAP Elite Swamp Stock
Triggertech Special
21" Lilja #3 contour barrel, vortex spiral fluted by Paul @Pro Precision Rifles.
Cerekote FDE
Talley 1 piece aluminum mounts

Huskemaw Optics Blue Diamond 4-16 x 42mm scope Thunder Beast TBAC Ultra 7 Supressor

I've got handloads shooting .33 MOA or better (140gr Accubonds) @2950 fps. I wouldn't be afraid to go to a #3 contour barrel, or go a little shorter than some of these "long range rifles". It's more about a good barrel than a heavy or super long one. This gun handles fast, balances nice, and is really nice to carry. It's also capable at very long range. I shoot steel at 1000+ and am comfortable on game at 600 and under, if conditions are correct of course. The rifle is capable of more, but I'm not.

df1465941a272829ca397bd7e0826cd3.jpg
3ce8d0828a95c71ac630941538647dbf.jpg
Nice set up! Question, how were you able to coat the AnTi? Defiance is telling me that I will have to go with an undersized bolt, basically milled down .003, to accommodate for coating due to the tight tolerances. Was wondering if theres other options out there.

99% sure I'm going with a defiance ruckus GA Hunter and already purchased the hawkins M5 Obendorf bottom metal. Will the Mesa adjustable be a built in riser or slip over style?
Built in . Seems to be the same price as the non adjustable 699$ . 36 ounces for long action . Sounds like an exciting build . Make sure to post pics when all complete . If you’re trying to save weight why not consider a carbon barrel? Either way I’d go 22inch if running suppressed or 24 if running bare or with brake . But I’d also go 7 rsaum if I was a reloader but since I haven’t made that investment yet I’d go 7mm rem mag . I’ve read 2750 FPS with rem mag with 180 eldm out of 22 inch barrel .

eoperator

WKR
Nice set up! Question, how were you able to coat the AnTi? Defiance is telling me that I will have to go with an undersized bolt, basically milled down .003, to accommodate for coating due to the tight tolerances. Was wondering if theres other options out there.
I have 2 anti's with ceracote, they were a bit tight/sticky when new but wore in nicely. Having a 3rd built now that is going to have that kg industries coating that is supposed to be thinner/slicker, more appropriate for intended purpose.

OP
704kubotaguy
I have 2 anti's with ceracote, they were a bit tight/sticky when new but wore in nicely. Having a 3rd built now that is going to have that kg industries coating that is supposed to be thinner/slicker, more appropriate for intended purpose.
Ive read of coating called microslik that some have used on these tight tolerance actions and worked good but I'll look at the KG stuff as well thanks.

eoperator

WKR
Defiance receivers are made from 416 stainless and are very corrosion resistant. If left “bare,” they will resist corrosion in most all conditions. Our bolts are 4340 chrome moly, which is susceptible to corrosion. The smooth finish we provide helps to repel moisture, but if you want added protection against corrosion, you have options.

• Be diligent with your maintenance by cleaning, drying, and lubricating the bolt. A bolt “in the white” will resist rust very well if properly maintained.
  • 4340 will accept bluing or Parkerizing. (Both are black or dark gray and help resist rust.)
  • Cerakote is an option for protecting your action and bolt. However, Cerakote adds thickness to the surface of the metal and we maintain tight clearances in our actions, so Cerakote must be properly applied by a certified applicator which can be found on Cerakote’s website. We recommend that you do NOT apply Cerakote to the bolt and the lug raceways in order to prevent binding of your bolt.
  • Defiance offers Black Nitride, a molecular coating that, adds lubricity, and surface hardness, as well as turns the steel a rich black color without adding measurable thickness.

OP
704kubotaguy
Defiance receivers are made from 416 stainless and are very corrosion resistant. If left “bare,” they will resist corrosion in most all conditions. Our bolts are 4340 chrome moly, which is susceptible to corrosion. The smooth finish we provide helps to repel moisture, but if you want added protection against corrosion, you have options.

• Be diligent with your maintenance by cleaning, drying, and lubricating the bolt. A bolt “in the white” will resist rust very well if properly maintained.
  • 4340 will accept bluing or Parkerizing. (Both are black or dark gray and help resist rust.)
  • Cerakote is an option for protecting your action and bolt. However, Cerakote adds thickness to the surface of the metal and we maintain tight clearances in our actions, so Cerakote must be properly applied by a certified applicator which can be found on Cerakote’s website. We recommend that you do NOT apply Cerakote to the bolt and the lug raceways in order to prevent binding of your bolt.
  • Defiance offers Black Nitride, a molecular coating that, adds lubricity, and surface hardness, as well as turns the steel a rich black color without adding measurable thickness.
I'm just looking to coat so that the rifle doesn't shine like diamond as it will be a hunting rig and want to issue 1, it doesn't gleam in the sun and 2 it matches from receiver to barrel

This was also my experice. Runs very smooth now, no feeding issues ect. My gunsmith did the work, and he's extremely proficient and detail oriented, so im assuming it was done at a very high level.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’m building a similar rifle. Stiller predator action with a Bartlein 2b cut to 25”. I decided not to flute the barrel. Using Hawkins BDL bottom metal and an AG Composites CAT stock. Waiting to get the action and barrel back from the smith to put the rest together. Finally decided on a VX5 HD on top.

OP
704kubotaguy
I’m building a similar rifle. Stiller predator action with a Bartlein 2b cut to 25”. I decided not to flute the barrel. Using Hawkins BDL bottom metal and an AG Composites CAT stock. Waiting to get the action and barrel back from the smith to put the rest together. Finally decided on a VX5 HD on top.
Yeah I'm looking at either VX 3HD or possibly VX 5. Like the weight of the VX 3 4.5-14 x 50

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord