280 AI for elk?

Echo

FNG
I’m considering a new rifle as a comfortable shooting ‘do it all’ rifle to hunt elk, deer, and antelope here in the west.

Im not looking to take any really long range shots. My max, in optimal conditions, is the 400 to 450 yard range.

Im intrigued by the 280 ai and would like to hear some experiences with this caliber and elk hunting. Is it sufficient? What bullet and grain are you using?

What else should I know about the caliber?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
Yep good caliber,
I keep looking @ a 6.8 western
I really like the ballistics on the 6.8 western, too. I’m trying to choose between that and the 280 ai. However, I have opposing problems with each one:

I can find ammo for the 6.8 western but no rifles.

I can’t find ammo for the 280ai but I can find a rifle.

Crazy times.

My father has used a 280 Remington for years hunting elk. 160 gr Partiton was the preferred handload due to OAL limitation of the detachable magazine on his 7600. 160 AccuBond would be a superb choice, or drop back to 150 gr as it won't lose a lot of weight.

In any case, a 280AI is a great choice for elk.

BjornF16

WKR
More than adequate. Shot a cow elk with 150 ELD-x from 280 Rem at just under 300 yards...took a few steps and collapsed.

If you don't reload, Hornady has 162 ELD-X in factory ammo for the 280 AI. This would be good medicine...

I’m considering a new rifle as a comfortable shooting ‘do it all’ rifle to hunt elk, deer, and antelope here in the west.

Im not looking to take any really long range shots. My max, in optimal conditions, is the 400 to 450 yard range.

Im intrigued by the 280 ai and would like to hear some experiences with this caliber and elk hunting. Is it sufficient? What bullet and grain are you using?

What else should I know about the caliber?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
There is no way a 280 AI is enough gun…you are going to need a 338 super magnum to bring those bullet proof critters down.

I really like it, but I also reload. Factory 280AI ammo can be found, but in general is more expensive & not as common as other options. If you are okay with that, then yes it's a great round.

Killed numerous elk with 140 gr TTSX out of a 280 AI. Not sure there is much in North America that would walk away from a well placed round with it. Taken deer and speedgoat with it too. Its a bit much gun for pronghorn, but that copper bullet pushes through pretty nicely without making a mess of everything.

280AI shooting 160AB's killed the elk in my avatar just shy of 400 yards.
Hey Chris,

Not to hijack the thread but that's an incredible looking bull! With your shot at 400 yards, how was the elk positioned? Was it a nice broadside shot or quartering? Where did the bullet go, and what was the damage like?

ChrisAU

WKR
Hey Chris,

Not to hijack the thread but that's an incredible looking bull! With your shot at 400 yards, how was the elk positioned? Was it a nice broadside shot or quartering? Where did the bullet go, and what was the damage like?

Broadside, first shot clipped the top back of the front shoulder blade and he staggered forward a few feet. We assume that was the first shot because he didn't put weight on that leg/half ass limped on those few forward stagger steps. Put two more back to back very quickly, one almost perfect and the other was a bit back, liver, don't know what order. He then fell down. 30 seconds later or so he picked his head up and I put one more in the boiler room and that was it. Only one didn't exit, but I'm not sure which of them it was as figuring out trajectory through his body post mortem on the side of the mountain was difficult. First shot was fatal, but I wasn't going to stop until I knew he was dead or I ran out of ammo.

Broadside, first shot clipped the top back of the front shoulder blade and he staggered forward a few feet. We assume that was the first shot because he didn't put weight on that leg/half ass limped on those few forward stagger steps. Put two more back to back very quickly, one almost perfect and the other was a bit back, liver, don't know what order. He then fell down. 30 seconds later or so he picked his head up and I put one more in the boiler room and that was it. Only one didn't exit, but I'm not sure which of them it was as figuring out trajectory through his body post mortem on the side of the mountain was difficult. First shot was fatal, but I wasn't going to stop until I knew he was dead or I ran out of ammo.
Love that style! Keep shooting til they're done. We owe it to them to make it quick. Thanks for the response.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Bonus to 280ai for a non reloader is you can also shoot 280 rem if you can find it instead.