.280 AI Redding Type S Die Set

Looking to upgrade to a Redding die set for my .280ai. I'm looking at the Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set from Midway. It looks like it includes a Type S FL Bushing Die and a Competition Seating Die, I assume the competition seating die because I can find no other Type S seating die from them.

This is my first step up to a bushing die from using Lee dies and I had a few questions that I hoped you all could help with.

1. With the bushing die do you leave the decapper and expander ball in? I do have a Lee decapper. I've seen a few people talk about removing the expander. If that is done do you need a separate expanding die to get the neck tension set correctly? Or is measuring the thickness of the neck and selecting the right bushing enough to get the tension correct?

2. I've seen other recommendations to use the Redding FL bushing die, and a separate seating die. Any recommendations?

3. Do I need to replace the locking rings with something better?

Thanks for the help!

I have done it both ways as you have described and I got similar results. In my 264 Win Mag I use the Redding Type S FL bushing die and the Competition seating die. For my 280AI I went with extra steps. Decapped manually with my arbor press. Resized with the Redding Type S FL bushing die with the rod out. Opened the neck up on a Sinclair mandrel die. Seated the the bullet with a L E Wilson Seating die. I got good results with both methods.

My advice to you would be to try what you have on hand and see what kind of results you get. Make changes if needed.