280 AI Tikka?

I currently have a 280AI Kimber Mountain Ascent, which has been a great gun. But the more I do this, the more I want to try something new. Sooo, I’m wondering is it possible to do a semi custom 280AI in a Tikka action. Am I crazy for wanting to try and do this? Will I continually beat myself up because I can’t shoot the “super longs”? I wasn’t planning on going above about a 168 Berger, if even that. Anyway, give me your thoughts....and please don’t beat me up too bad, I’m still fairly new at this 😬

Give me your advice gurus!!! Tell me what I would be doing wrong or right!!!

I should have mine in about a month. The Google will take you to a lot of discussions on the matter. The consensus is the factory mag is limiting. I don't plan to use the long heavies, but I'll probably try them once anyway. I think there are options for longer mags.

If I don't like it I'll sell it and try something else. Or just stick with my Kimber.

OP
passinggas33
That’s kind of what I was reading. But I was seeing that as long as I kept the COAL under 3.35” I would be fine. Not sure if that is accurate or not. I think the factory mag is 3.375 and if you kept .025 clearance it would be good. I think you can go a little longer with some of the aftermarket mags. Anyway, was looking at unknown munitions and almost all their ammo is coming in at 3.330” so would have a little wiggle room. I was just using them as a reference, though I may have them load me up something real nice in the future. And they are already loading some 168 Bergers, and down. I’ve seen some guys throwing out some 180-190 bullets. Don’t thing I need to go that big and long for what my purposes are.

Anyway, anybody else have some thoughts?

HeathH

FNG
Turned a .270 into one. Has a #3 Douglas barrel I cut to 22” and still getting 2944 or so with 160 AB. Mild recoil and fairly light. Love it. I’m left handed so the factory options were limited.

Iman

FNG
You may also consider doing this instead
14190068a7343e8b159b81c2b43b1c58.jpg

Will let you seat those superlongs just fine
b6f34f5d3429158ee1473e4b2c9e0d35.jpg

OP
passinggas33
@ Iman - are you suggesting that I build a 284? Or did you do something different there. I’m confused by / not following your suggestion.

Iman

FNG
284 win is just another 7mm option to consider that should have no issues seating long bullet in tikka mag when throated right. 7saum would be another way if you need a bit more speed and dont mind the mag bolt face.

83cj-7

WKR
I have a .280 Rem built on a Tikka T3 with a Proof barrel. I am shooting the Nosler 168 ABLR. I made a couple dummy rounds with 150 and 168 ABLRs and 162 ELDs based on magazine length and gave them to my smith. He chambered the rifle with a floating pilot reamer and then set the free bore based on the dummy rounds. I have settled on the 168 ABLR .040” off the lands. Shoots well inside of MOA to 1k.

This is actually the second one I built. My friend has my first with a 24” Krieger. Chamber was done the same way on that one, but he shoots my old load with the Hornady 162 ELDs.

What about a 7 SAUM? You said you want to do something new. Performance would be as good or better than the 280 AI. You would have zero mag restrictions then.

I have a .280 Rem built on a Tikka T3 with a Proof barrel. I am shooting the Nosler 168 ABLR. I made a couple dummy rounds with 150 and 168 ABLRs and 162 ELDs based on magazine length and gave them to my smith. He chambered the rifle with a floating pilot reamer and then set the free bore based on the dummy rounds. I have settled on the 168 ABLR .040” off the lands. Shoots well inside of MOA to 1k.

This is actually the second one I built. My friend has my first with a 24” Krieger. Chamber was done the same way on that one, but he shoots my old load with the Hornady 162 ELDs.
Were you able to use a proof tikka prefit barrel, or did you have to go another route?