280AI 270Win kinda the same thing depending on bbl length

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby Vanguard or Bergara b14 Ridge? I like the stock of the vanguard first lite, as well as the fact that its fluted and comes with the muzzle brake but from what I understand, its not free floated. Can anyone comment on the vanguard's accuracy and long range plinking ability? The bergara b14 ridge has a heavier, medium weight, barrel and comparable weight but no muzzle brake or fluting for a similar price. I also don't know if I'd like the straight comb with a scope and may need to add a cheek riser but the heavier barrel might make long range target shooting easier.

Unclecroc

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby Vanguard or Bergara b14 Ridge? I like the stock of the vanguard first lite, as well as the fact that its fluted and comes with the muzzle brake but from what I understand, its not free floated. Can anyone comment on the vanguard's accuracy and long range plinking ability? The bergara b14 ridge has a heavier, medium weight, barrel and comparable weight but no muzzle brake or fluting for a similar price. I also don't know if I'd like the straight comb with a scope and may need to add a cheek riser but the heavier barrel might make long range target shooting easier.
I have experience with several vanguards both series 1&2. They have all shot well in stock configuration but with the addition of a timney trigger and floating the barrel most turn into 3/4 to 1/2 inch rifles with handloads.

I was in the same situation a while back debating on the best hunting cartridge for deer and elk under 400 yards and every time I kept coming back to a 270 Winchester. It’s just hard to beat a 270 for must hunting scenarios.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
As others have said the 30-06 is a really natural choice in this comparison also. I've killed a metric pile of animals at ranges longer than people who don't know any better thought you could with a 30-06. It's my absolute favorite all around caliber and I will always have one.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO if you are going to shoot light bullets it wont matter and the old 270 would most likely be my choice. If you like heavy high BC bullets the 280 AI is an excellent choice, very hard to beat in a standard case.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I always hear this as a reason for the .270 and 30-06. I wonder how many people would admit to using that feature while headed on a hunting trip.

FWIW I own a .270 as well.
I did this year. Stopped off at a local shop to get a box of 7rm for a buddy that didn’t have his ammo. It happens. I’m glad he doesn’t still shoot a 270ICL.

270 is the better choice if you aren’t going past 500ish.

Lots of folks lose interest in handloading, common chamberings make a lot of sense.

that said... I shoot a 6.5x280ai