280AI barrel life?

jlink83

FNG
For those of you burning up the shooting ranges what do you feel would be an average barrel life of the 280AI? Not pushing it hard to the extreme but not coddling it either. Thanks.

Antares

WKR
I don't have any specific info on 280AI, but I'm sure the Google machine has something to offer.

That said, I'm curious why are you're asking the question? Without wanting to be too presumptuous about the reasons for your inquiry I will say this, in my opinion, using barrel life as a variable in caliber selection decisions is a waste of time. If you can afford to shoot out a barrel, you can afford a new barrel.

Or maybe you're looking at a used rifle with a known round count...in which case, ignore me.

Last edited:
OP
J

jlink83

FNG
Well you are right about the used rifle being part of the equation. But its more about to much time to think about things. when I picked up the rifle the previous owner said it had less than 100 rounds down the tube with proper barrel breakin. Well I'm pretty sure my buddy who is far more knowledgeable than I when it comes to components was joking but he was laughing at me saying I would burn my barrel out fireforming my brass. Or I think his exact phrase was by the time I get my brass formed and a good load worked up it would be time for a new barrel.

Bater

WKR
Well your buddy was wrong. I have approx 550rds down my 280ai tube and barrel (bore scope) still looks nearly pristine. For comparison my 7RM has over 1100rds and barrel still has plenty of life. I’d imagine you’d get 1500 easily if not shot PRS style.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
270 win - 280AI - 30.06
I’ll give a hypothetical of these 3 different caliber rifles.

Each takes an average safe load of 46 grains of Varget if each uses a sierra gameking of relatively equal BC given the diameter of the caliber. (roughly 130-140-165 are all about .4ish G1 BC)

Though a ton of factors have an impact on barrel/throat erosion, distilled down to the biggest culpret: Heat

What causes heat?
1) fuel/flame
2) rate of fire
3) high pressures
4) time
5) surface contact

Since we’ve eliminated the fuel factor (all same), rate of fire is based on the shooter (so same), and pressures are also relatively close (60k psi give or take with respective bullets), the remaining factors are time and surface contact.

Thinner caliber bullets are longer for given weights and will have a longer amount of time causing friction and high pressures at a fiven point in the barrel/throat. In simple terms, regardless of caliber, a lighter bullet will cause less barrel erosion than a heavier bullet in any given rifle. However, in most calibers shorter bullets generally allow for a greater amount of powder.

With all that being said, there‘s a ton of published data averages from shooters more accomplished and with better record keeping than myself. It seems like a .270 averages about 1500 rounds before notable degradation. 30-06 as a military round has a barrel life of about 5k rounds.

After a bunch of googling of “280 AI barrel life” I’ve concluded that the consensus is that it’s better than a 270 but worse than an 06.

:)

For those of you burning up the shooting ranges what do you feel would be an average barrel life of the 280AI? Not pushing it hard to the extreme but not coddling it either. Thanks.
Same capacity as a 7 saum which will go south anywhere from 1000-1500 rounds.
Don't worry about it, in the scheme of things a $500 rebarrel is the cheap part

OP
J

jlink83

FNG
True, with the state of reloading components it will be awhile before I have enough components let alone time to put 1k rounds down range with it.

manitou1

WKR
Research I did prior to building mine indicated 2000+ rounds. I am more than confident that it will exceed 2K.