280AI Bullet Help

EdP

WKR
Like a couple of others have said, the 160 gr AB is a great choice. I chose it for my Cooper .280AI because it shoots well, and perhaps more importantly, is a proven performer on game. With a MV of 2900 fps you still have over 1500 ft-lbs of energy at 650 yds and well over the fps 1800 Nosler says is the minimum for expansion. Some folks take game out farther than but with wind effects and how fast the bullet is dropping that far out, for me it would be really pushing it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
whatever you decide, Im interested in buying the bullets it doesn't like! 175 Elite or ELDX. lol
I built my wife a 280 months ago and can not find ANY bullets.

280Ackley

WKR
168 Berger VLD hunting, H4831SC BR2 primer. Has killed coyotes, whitetail, mule deer, bear, elk and moose. None of them have gone more then 100 yards. Most less than 20. That combo has been deadly for me and my kids. Over 50 animals killed easily with that load from 50-600 yards. I’ve killed rock at 1000 with it.

OP
passinggas33
A little update. I have been shooting the 160AB out of my lightweight kimber 280ai and they shoot great. Love it. But with it being so light, I really struggle to shoot it great past about 500 yards. I loved that 280ai that I decided to build this custom rifle specifically to try and reach out even further. Hence the try to use a bullet with a better ballistic coefficient. Hence the Berger and ELDX. So far I’ve stuck with the Bergers and loaded some up. I’m getting the previously stated decent results and will probably keep shooting them and see if things tighten up as I become a better shooter. But I will also likely build a different option once I find some other powders…if I ever can. Keep the suggestions coming though on combos that have worked great for you guys!!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
A little update. I have been shooting the 160AB out of my lightweight kimber 280ai and they shoot great. Love it. But with it being so light, I really struggle to shoot it great past about 500 yards. I loved that 280ai that I decided to build this custom rifle specifically to try and reach out even further. Hence the try to use a bullet with a better ballistic coefficient. Hence the Berger and ELDX. So far I’ve stuck with the Bergers and loaded some up. I’m getting the previously stated decent results and will probably keep shooting them and see if things tighten up as I become a better shooter. But I will also likely build a different option once I find some other powders…if I ever can. Keep the suggestions coming though on combos that have worked great for you guys!!
The 175 gr. EOL and RL 23 is all you will need, maybe add a Hammer/Absolute hammer load.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travis, there are a lot of Speer and Barnes .284 bullets available now. Take a look on Ammoseek.com. Still no ABs or GKs though.

I’m kinda holding out for 175 eldx, 175 elites, or 180 hybrid Ls. Thanks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I understand. I've been waiting over a year now for some 140 gr ABs or Tipped GKs to try in a 7mm-08 I picked up.

I might have a box of accubonds. I’ll check when I get home.

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been trying to get 175eldx to shoot with a 280ai 1/8 26 inch barrel and they won’t group at all. Berger’s are .5 or better. Trying out new powder (7828ssc) and getting right at 1 moa with my first LD outing with the 168 Berger and that powder. Gonna tune with seating depth and see where I get. Hopefully .5 or better otherwise I may have to get rid of this 11 pounds of powder

For those who are recommending Hammers, what are the maximum distances you are seeing before they hit the minimum velocity for reliable expansion? This is specially for the 280 AI.

I have a specific niche case that I am looking at the 280 AI potentially filling.

raz175

FNG
For those who are recommending Hammers, what are the maximum distances you are seeing before they hit the minimum velocity for reliable expansion? This is specially for the 280 AI.

I have a specific niche case that I am looking at the 280 AI potentially filling.
I shoot the 143 Hammer hunter at 3170 fps. Strelok app shows 1816 fps and 1070 ft-lb at 950 yards. I've only shot out to 600, but the Strelok calculations are very close as far as elevation changes at distance, so the velocity should be good.

wyosam

WKR

I shoot the 155 absolute at 3150, stays above 1800 to 750 or so if I recall.

155 hammer hunters and 140 factory accubonds in mine. Both shoot and kill great. I’ll probably try to find a Berger load this off-season though, 168s or 175s.

Bergers are fine just have to be selective on shot angle and make sure you don’t blast anything too close. If the tips are clear as mentioned above no more issues than any other bullet out there.
Hammers are truly better and you don’t have to be selective with shot angle. Take the shot you have if it’s the only one you will get. Berger you let them go or shoot anyway and become one of the failure stories. Hammers are a perfect combo of accuracy, easy to load for, fast, deadly and forgiving with less than ideal shots, great penetrators while still causing enough damage for quick clean kills. I’ve used them since 2016 or 17 with a few animals taken per year, mostly elk and fantastic results. Long range they shoot awesome.

amassi

WKR
I shoot the 143 Hammer hunter at 3170 fps. Strelok app shows 1816 fps and 1070 ft-lb at 950 yards. I've only shot out to 600, but the Strelok calculations are very close as far as elevation changes at distance, so the velocity should be good.
What was terminal performance like at 600?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What was terminal performance like at 600?
Not the same, but for a comparison... I shot a bull at 550yds with a similar-ish setup this fall. 155 Hammer out of my 7SAUM — 3010 MV, 2000fps impact velocity (1515ke).

Full pass-through. Found a few petal fragments in the off-site hide. Small entry and exit with massive internal damage. He took a few steps and crashed.

I will be testing the 143s this year. They should out-perform (at least on paper) the 155s in my setup.