.280Ai loads

SammY STW

FNG
I'm shooting a 162 ELDM, 59 gr RL23, Hornady brass, 25" barrel at about 2950 fps. Haven't tried any other loads in this gun

double checked my notes this morning it’s 56.5 grains of RL23 fed 210m primers Peterson brass 2910 FPS

I’m getting over 2900 FPS with 175 eldx over RL23
What twist and brand of barrel do you have? I’m in the process of building another 280ai and want this as my target with FPS/bullet/Etc. I was looking at the 24” proof and was hoping it would be close to this. Only difference is I would be running Nosler brass and not Peterson.

Anybody have an idea of what the grain difference is between Nosler and Peterson in this specific cartridge? In theory if the bullet was set in the same exact spot, same primer, etc, how much more powder can you put in the Peterson?

wyosam

WKR
24" 1:8 proof
155 hammer hunter
re23 58gr
fed 215
2990fps
low single digit es

Sammi chamber seats the 155hh's deep in the case, wish I would have gotten a reamer to seat the bullet much longer.

I don’t have the throat issue so much as I’m shooting the 155AH, but I’m very limited by Tikka OAL. In hindsight I wish I had gone with a 284 Shehane for the Tikka. I am able to get the 155AH to 3150ish out of a 22” Carbon Six, but couldn’t the accuracy I wanted until I was down to ~3030. Single digit ES and superb accuracy there though. The faster powders recommended for the AH just wouldn’t deliver accuracy. I’m running 59.2 of RL23.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
Anybody have an idea of what the grain difference is between Nosler and Peterson in this specific cartridge? In theory if the bullet was set in the same exact spot, same primer, etc, how much more powder can you put in the Peterson?
Do you mean grain difference as in volume or weight? I have Peterson but all of mine is fire formed 280 Rem.

Do you mean grain difference as in volume or weight? I have Peterson but all of mine is fire formed 280 Rem.
Yes I’m talking grain difference. From my understanding, you can cram more powder in Peterson brass than you can Nosler brass, but I may be wrong. Just wondered how much of a difference it really was.

mvrk28

WKR
Yes I’m talking grain difference. From my understanding, you can cram more powder in Peterson brass than you can Nosler brass, but I may be wrong. Just wondered how much of a difference it really was.
Ok so you mean what is the difference in case volume in grains. Im
Sure there are people on here who could press a spent primer in their brass, zero their scale with the empty case and then fill with water and re-weigh to answer this question. As I said my brass is fire formed so not the best representation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That will depend on what you can find . Look at that Barnes data again. Personally I would shoot the 145 LRX over the 150 because it will be faster AND higher BC!

RL 17 and 19 are listed. You can also try RL 16 it’s new and not listed but very similar to RL 17. Here is off the Alliant page for reg 280 so you can go higher
View attachment 213196

Now if you go to the heavier 160s you can go to RL 22 or the new RL 23. And for the 170-180 s RL 26 is the one but I’ve never see it since last year
The 145 LRX load I'm running out of my 280 AI uses IMR4451. Just to muddy the waters even further lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You're not going to realize the full potential of the 280AI because you have a 22" barrel.

I'm getting 2,900 at accuracy node with RL26 and Berger 168 VLD's.. That's been the best powder in my rifle(26" Proof CF 8 twist)

FCCDerek

FNG
After breaking my barrel in more I'm seeing 2860fps with 180 Bergers and 59.3 grains of RL26 out of Peterson brass. With an OAL of 3.467". I'm happy with it. I suspect it will be a very viable hunting load.

wyosam

WKR
You're not going to realize the full potential of the 280AI because you have a 22" barrel.

I'm getting 2,900 at accuracy node with RL26 and Berger 168 VLD's.. That's been the best powder in my rifle(26" Proof CF 8 twist)

I’m shooting 168 Noslers at 2875 out of a 22” carbon six 1:8 with RL23. That node was about 80fps from where I found pressure. If we all needed to get “the potential” out of most cartridges we’d be lugging 30+” barrels around the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
After breaking my barrel in more I'm seeing 2860fps with 180 Bergers and 59.3 grains of RL26 out of Peterson brass. With an OAL of 3.467". I'm happy with it. I suspect it will be a very viable hunting load.
I'm jealous that you have Peterson brass lol

FCCDerek

FNG
I'm jealous that you have Peterson brass lol

I bought 200 pieces of it about six months ago when I started planning my 280AI build. It's all once fired now, in addition to a box of Federal brass from their 155 Terminal Ascents. It's a great caliber and I'm happy with how this load turned out. I just wanna get a load worked up for my 140 Barnes TTXS's and RL16 now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought 200 pieces of it about six months ago when I started planning my 280AI build. It's all once fired now, in addition to a box of Federal brass from their 155 Terminal Ascents. It's a great caliber and I'm happy with how this load turned out. I just wanna get a load worked up for my 140 Barnes TTXS's and RL16 now.
I'm not changing up any of the loads I've already developed because those Terminal Ascents shoot half minute in my rifle, right along with hand loads. 145 LRX shoots well out of mine with 4451

I’m shooting 168 Noslers at 2875 out of a 22” carbon six 1:8 with RL23. That node was about 80fps from where I found pressure. If we all needed to get “the potential” out of most cartridges we’d be lugging 30+” barrels around the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weight penalty is just about non existent adding just 2-4" of barrel length, that's basically free velocity. I was getting over 3000 FPS but groups started to open up slightly so I cranked it down. I'd never shoot a 22" tube for this cartridge. I'd question the logic of worrying about packing an extra 7 ounces of free velocity, rather lose the 7 ounces somewhere else if I wasn't able to carry it

sneaky

"DADDY"
The weight penalty is just about non existent adding just 2-4" of barrel length, that's basically free velocity. I was getting over 3000 FPS but groups started to open up slightly so I cranked it down. I'd never shoot a 22" tube for this cartridge. I'd question the logic of worrying about packing an extra 7 ounces of free velocity, rather lose the 7 ounces somewhere else if I wasn't able to carry it
Most of the short tubes are because guys are shooting cans on them and a 30" tube with a can is just annoying to carry. Short barrels are nice to maneuver. More velocity doesn't mean squat if it doesn't shoot. You just miss quicker.

FCCDerek

FNG
I'm not changing up any of the loads I've already developed because those Terminal Ascents shoot half minute in my rifle, right along with hand loads. 145 LRX shoots well out of mine with 4451

The factory terminal ascents shoot incredibly well for me also. I'm seeing about 2900fps with those and 1/2 moa accuracy. I had originally just bought four boxes of them for barrel break in but I wouldn't be upset to use them as a hunting round with accuracy like that.

Another terminal ascent believer here. Couldn’t believe how accurate they were for a factory ammo. Just as accurate as my hand loads!

Now don’t go buying them all up!! Save some for the rest of us with all this publicity!!

FCCDerek

FNG
Another terminal ascent believer here. Couldn’t believe how accurate they were for a factory ammo. Just as accurate as my hand loads!

Now don’t go buying them all up!! Save some for the rest of us with all this publicity!!
I've got three boxes of them left so I'll be hoarding them for awhile. But I've also got 200 pieces of Peterson 280AI brass, 9 pounds of RL26, and 700 180 Hybrids so I'll be good for awhile!