28ga Upland Gun

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Happy new year everyone,

My grandfather passed away a few years ago, and my grandmother gave me his two Hornady 366s, one 12ga and one 28ga. They have been sitting in my basement ever since. While I haven't done a ton upland hunting, I'm looking to get out more this year and would like to get a 28ga gun and take advantage of reloading the uncommon subgauge.

I'm in the east, so my small game hunting will mainly be dove, pheasant/ringneck, rabbit, squirrel.

I don't have a budget set in stone yet, so I really just want to get an idea of what are some guns I should be researching, and questions to ask. Are there any worthy "budget" guns, fully aware that you get what you pay for? Are semi-autos in the subgauge reliable? Are most scaled receivers? Are most going to be 2k gentleman guns that I should just stick with my Benelli Nova 12ga for everything.

Appreciate everyone's time!

The CZ doubles are very good quality at the price point in my opinion. Worth looking into if a double interests you.

I had a CZ in 28, didn't care for it. I have a CZ in 20, wingshooter I think, that is great. They seem hit or miss.

The 28 I'm currently using the most is a Beretta A-400. Really like it, tho it seems a little cheaper than the price would indicate. It's scaled down and light, easy to handle.

For a pump especially with reloading I'd look at a BPS, that bottom ejection is nice for finding the hulls, my 400 pitches them 16'.

One thing worth noting is that many pumps and semis you are going to need a taper crimp on the shell. It's not a concern with doubles. I don't know if the 366's were taper crimpers or not.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I think you should have another option apart from 12ga for upland - especially because some places may not let you shoot 12 ga. I went through the analysis and decided on a Weatherby SA-08 auto in 20 ga. Normally I'm a buy once, cry once guy, so that was a really good buy ($649 MSRP, maybe ~$550 online), and I like it.

I was also set on 28 ga, and it's still on my "must have at some point" list. I ended up deciding I did want a double for 28 ga, in part because it seemed more fitting, and because there are some places that will require you to hunt with a double. And even if you aren't *required* by a landowner to shoot with a double, I think it makes everyone more comfortable. My pick is a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I, as I have close to the same gun in 12 ga. It lists for $2300+, but you can often find a deal for $1700 or less (26" is more than 28"). That is close to the $2k you mention, but I'd not consider it a "gentleman gun" in that it doesn't have any fancy engraving, etc.

I've got a 28 ga barrel set for my 686 Beretta. The 28 ga has 26" barrels and the 20 ga has 28" barrels. For hunting the west, I really prefer the 28" barrels, as well as for shooting at a range. The gun is actually 2 ounces lighter with the the 20 ga longer barrels too....the 28 ga barrel set has a lot more meat in the chamber area to match the 20 ga action.

I've owned a 28 ga CZ Bowbwhite SxS, twin triggers, English grip, 26" barrels. I did not shoot it as well as the very similar CZ .410 Bobwhite I still own so sent it down the road. I did think it was a heck of a bargain and had screw in chokes etc, just didn't work for me. It was lighter than my .410 and both are on scaled frames.

If I was buying a 28 ga today, I'd get a Beretta A400 semi-auto with a 28" barrel, but I've never seen or shot one. They are very light per the specs I've seen. Any comments from any owners? I've handled but not fired an A-400 20 ga, non-kickoff with a 28" barrel and wanted to take it home! The 28 ga is supposed to be trimmer and lighter still.

The second option would be an AYA #2 round action with 28" or 30" barrels and twin triggers if I ever find a good deal on one used. That would pair nicely with my 16 ga AYA as a small bird gun..quail, huns and chukars.

Last edited:
Had a fella show up where I was guiding with a very expensive 28 gauge. Told the dogs they were in for a long day chasing crippled roosters. The man was the finest wing shot I ever met, we’ve hunted many times since, always an easy day for the dogs. 28 in skilled hands is very deadly, even on pheasant.
I’m saving for one now, it’ll be a quality double.
sounds like you have a good plan, it’s good your taking advantage of the gift.

I've got a 28 ga barrel set form my 686 Beretta. The 28 ga is 26" barrels and the 20 ga is 28" barrels. For hunting the west, I really prefer the 28" barrels, as well as for shooting at a range. The gun is actually 2 ounces lighter with the the 20 ga longer barrels too....the 28 ga barrel set has a lot more meat in the chamber area to match the 20 ga action.

I've owned a 28 ga CZ Bowbwhite SxS, twin triggers, Enlish grip, 26" barrels. I did not shoot it as well as the very similar CZ .410 Bobwhite I still own so sent it down the road. I did think it was a heck of a bargain and had screw in chokes etc, just didn't work for me. It was lighter than my .410 and both are on scaled frames.

If I was buying a 28 ga today, I'd get a Beretta A400 semi-auto with a 28" barrel, but I've never seen or shot one. They are very light per the specs I've seen. Any comments from any owners? I've handled but not fired a A-400 20 ga, non-kickoff with a 28" barrel and wanted to take it home! The 28 ga is supposed to be trimmer and lighter still.

The second option would be an AYA #2 round action with 28" or 30" barrels and twin triggers if I ever find a good deal on one used. That would pair with my 16 ga very nicely as a small bird gun..quail, huns and chukars.
I have an A-400 in 28, had an A-400 in 20 with the kick off. I hated it. It was a full camo with the "kick-off" mid stock instead of on the end. It always shot high and kicked like hell for what it was. The guy I sold it to loves it. Just didn't work for me. Both had 28" barrels. The 28 gauge is awesome.

Looking for an A-400 non ko 20.

Right now the best 20 I have owned is an sx-3. But also love my Auto-5 light with 26" barrel and invector plus.

I have an A-400 in 28, had an A-400 in 20 with the kick off. I hated it. It was a full camo with the "kick-off" mid stock instead of on the end. It always shot high and kicked like hell for what it was. The guy I sold it to loves it. Just didn't work for me. Both had 28" barrels. The 28 gauge is awesome.

Looking for an A-400 non ko 20.

Billy, local store has a 28” non-KO 20 ga A400 Sporting. Felt really good and not large in the butt stock like the 12 ga Sporting. Light gun, bet not much over 6#s but would have to weigh it to be sure. Wish it was black not blue anodized on the action...might come with me anyway. Thanks for your comments.

Jacack

WKR
I have a few 28s, a old Remington 1100 tournament skeet from the 70s that i haven't shot in years.

Had a franchi i sold to a buddy. Very good little shotgun i shot it a ton with no issues and told him I want it back if he ever sells.

A pair of EELL diamond pigeons that are actually 20ga frames but I have 28 barrels also. They are sporting clays models with 29inch barrels and they shoot extremely well.

But my favorite is a benelli ultralight I have had for probably 10 years. Weights 5lbs on the dot. I have shot it a alot over the years with no issues. Took it to Argentina a few years back and it performed as expected. only issue is its so light I have to remind myself as o do tend to swing through targets and shoot infront more with it that other gun.

The a400 is a awesome little gun too.

The franchi would get my vote on a budget.

28s are a blast to shoot, buy one and stock up on ammo. Hunting weight loads do get hard to come by from time to time.

slvrslngr

WKR
Another option not mentioned is the Benelli Superlight. Not exactly a budget gun. A budget O/U, if that interests you, is the Stevens 555.

Gbuilder

FNG
If you have an academy sports near you, get a yildiz 28ga over under. Shoulrld be able pick one up under $500

ianpadron

WKR
Best budget 28 is a Tristar Viper. Weighs nothing and costs about the same lol.

If you want a little better quality, several Italian options for semis and doubles. Franchi AL 48, Benelli UL for semis...Beretta 686 for doubles.

Watched a buddy shoot wild valley quail in the mountains this past week on an industrial scale with his 686 set up... the lack of recoil is mind blowing

Gbuilder

FNG
Tristar and yildiz very similar, both Turkish guns. I think yildiz looks cleaner, but agreed Tristar if not near an academy. I have 686 silver spigeon in 28 with 30" barrels and love it! Would like a yildiz for those rainy days though, the beretta stocks spot easily with water but i don't want to change the finish!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I inherited a Winchester Model 101 28 ga......plan to take it quail hunting if I ever do that again. In the meantime I just keep it clean and pretty in the safe.

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome replies. I really didn't knkw where to start. My grandfather was an avid skeet shooter, but I never got into it and then never really got into upland.

But I'm getting less enthused chasing the "big game" in PA, and want to get out more for small game and upland. I'll mainly be jumping birds/rabbits myself unless I get to tag along with my buddy and his dogs. Obviously, it makes the hunt harder, but does the type of action make a difference if I'm jumping them myself?

To the crimping question, I think the 366 has a crimping stage, but I definitely need to ensure before jumping into a semi or a pump. I need to research some of the options mentioned thus far.

For loading purposes, how should I think about loads for different species with the 28ga?

Fordguy

WKR
You asked about budget 28s, so I'll start with the bottom end of the budget. I know they aren't made anymore, but they still pop up for sale here and there.
HR 1871/New England Firearms used to make a single shot break action in everything from .410 to 10 ga. The 28 ga model was short enough to point and shoot quickly and had enough barrel length to help swing on pheasant and doves. 20 years ago it was an inexpensive beater that took down everything from squirrels to rabbits, pheasants and the occasional grouse. Those I see for sale today are usually double or triple what they cost new, but still not a bad deal at 250 or so...and if you're lucky you'll find a bargain in a pawn shop.

I think you should have another option apart from 12ga for upland - especially because some places may not let you shoot 12 ga. I went through the analysis and decided on a Weatherby SA-08 auto in 20 ga. Normally I'm a buy once, cry once guy, so that was a really good buy ($649 MSRP, maybe ~$550 online), and I like it.

I was also set on 28 ga, and it's still on my "must have at some point" list. I ended up deciding I did want a double for 28 ga, in part because it seemed more fitting, and because there are some places that will require you to hunt with a double. And even if you aren't *required* by a landowner to shoot with a double, I think it makes everyone more comfortable. My pick is a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I, as I have close to the same gun in 12 ga. It lists for $2300+, but you can often find a deal for $1700 or less (26" is more than 28"). That is close to the $2k you mention, but I'd not consider it a "gentleman gun" in that it doesn't have any fancy engraving, etc.
What places won’t let you shoot a 12ga? I have never heard of this.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What places won’t let you shoot a 12ga? I have never heard of this.
Some quail places. Barnsley Resort in Georgia is one example - 20 gauge max. Private landowners may also have either a similar rule or custom.