28ga Upland Gun

jpndave

FNG
I've owned the Beretta, but only handled the Franchi.

The Franchi seemed a little rough. Stiff safety, kind of heavy triggers, and the wood to metal fit was mediocre. Honestly, I think it should sell for a few hundred less. But, the weight and balance were fine and it seemed to handle well, based only on a few "gun shop swings."

The Beretta is a well made, well finished shotgun in every respect.

While I would buy the Beretta, a guy who bought the Franchi might have something that works just as well, albeit it in a considerably less refined package. I think a lot of shotgun people place a premium on refinement, especially those who travel in the small gauge circles, and the Beretta has it all over the Franchi in that respect.
This is well said. and could be extended to the decent Turkish guns IME. They balance and swing almost as well. If you don't care or appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the finer doubles they may serve just fine. They don't have the same quality, ejectors, fit, finish, etc. but will do the job. For myself the Beretta is worth it no question. If you are debating on the lower end and can't or don't want to spend for the finer guns the lower models should serve nicely.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This is well said. and could be extended to the decent Turkish guns IME. They balance and swing almost as well. If you don't care or appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the finer doubles they may serve just fine. They don't have the same quality, ejectors, fit, finish, etc. but will do the job. For myself the Beretta is worth it no question. If you are debating on the lower end and can't or don't want to spend for the finer guns the lower models should serve nicely.
I've pretty much settled on the Beretta for these reasons. Another $3-400 won't matter much over the time I will own it.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to add some 28 tubes to the 686 myself. I've shot my dad's 28 and 410 (Ithaca/SKB) and had great fun shooting pheasant and quail, but they always leave a little to be desired at longer ranges and on waterfowl (shooting steel shot) This year though, I've started to dabble in TSS handloads for my 20 gauge, and I have zero qualms about how effective a 7/8 ounce load of #9 TSS would be out of a 28 in the right hands. Saving a pound off the gun will be nice for those long chukar hikes too!