28ga Upland Gun

fwafwow

WKR
Interesting.
I learned the hard way about 10 years ago at Barnsley. I have a friend who does a pheasant shoot on his place in NE each year and he requires 20ga and break action only. If I'm ever able to get another invite to a private quail plantation in south GA or north FL (I made the mistake of turning one down many years ago), I assume that I will have to buy or borrow a break action 20 or 28 gauge, and I believe that 28 ga is the more commonly used for quail.

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, I had the chance to research of number of the guns.

It seems like most of the guns under 1K, regardless of brand are being manufactured in Turkey. I would assume these are all coming out of the same factory, with varying level of specifications that the brands laid out. I'm including the Weatherby SA-08, Stevens 555, and some CZs in this group (and Tristar/Yildiz).

Just because something comes out of the same factory doesn't mean that it is the same product, but can anyone opine of the quality levels between these coming out of Turkey?

I think I'd leaning more toward a semi or an O/U, excluding pumps. Still may entertain a SxS as well.

I'd prefer it to be manufactured in the US or Italy or the like. I'm thinking that pushes me into the 1k+ range.

What is the reasonable price that folks have been seeing on the Franchi 48 AL? I'm seeing prices similar to the Beretta A400.

Squincher

WKR
Except for CZ don't expect to be able to get parts for a Turkish gun when they break. If I were in your shoes, I'd get either a Franchi Instinct or a Beretta Silver Pigeon. A CZ Bobwhite 2 is the best bargain SxS available. If you find a good 48 AL in 28, you may have to pay quite more than they are worth since they have been discontinued. An A400 would be a good choice as long as you don't mind the safety being on the wrong end of the trigger guard. Whatever you decide, make sure it is on a 28 ga frame and not a 20.

ianpadron

WKR
I think 3-400 for an older AL48 is fair if it's in good shape, for the "newer" AL48s you're looking at 7-800 bucks at least, since they were discontinued in 2012 (I think) and have a cult-like following among chukar/quail and grouse hunters.

I got lucky and scooped a late model from a buddy for $450 and felt like I got away with murder.

I think they're every bit the gun as a Montefeltro, and those are $1000 brand new.

It seems like most of the guns under 1K, regardless of brand are being manufactured in Turkey. I would assume these are all coming out of the same factory, with varying level of specifications that the brands laid out. I'm including the Weatherby SA-08, Stevens 555, and some CZs in this group (and Tristar/Yildiz).

Just because something comes out of the same factory doesn't mean that it is the same product, but can anyone opine of the quality levels between these coming out of Turkey?

I think I'd leaning more toward a semi or an O/U, excluding pumps. Still may entertain a SxS as well.

I'd prefer it to be manufactured in the US or Italy or the like. I'm thinking that pushes me into the 1k+ range.

What is the reasonable price that folks have been seeing on the Franchi 48 AL? I'm seeing prices similar to the Beretta A400.

I wouldn't assume the same factory. But like others have said be wary of replacement parts. Several guns from Turkey are close to impossible to get parts for. Mostly if you get a good gun from there you got a good gun, but it's hit or miss. Weatherby, tristar, and cz seem to get decent reviews, but they have lemons as well. Only one I have had is CZ and I'm 50/50 with them.

Can't comment on the AL48, but if the price is close to an A-400 the choice would be easy for me.

I'd say look for an 1100 Remington, but who knows what will happen with parts there, and the prices now are a bit rediculous.

pirogue

WKR
I think the 28 is, or should be, gaining a whole new popularity, because it’s the only ammo you can find on the store shelves.

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
At least until six more people start buying 28 ga. shells.
Ha, for sure. I've inherited a 28ga Hornady 366, so I at least should be able to have some control over my ammunition.

I wouldn't assume the same factory. But like others have said be wary of replacement parts. Several guns from Turkey are close to impossible to get parts for. Mostly if you get a good gun from there you got a good gun, but it's hit or miss. Weatherby, tristar, and cz seem to get decent reviews, but they have lemons as well. Only one I have had is CZ and I'm 50/50 with them.

Can't comment on the AL48, but if the price is close to an A-400 the choice would be easy for me.

I'd say look for an 1100 Remington, but who knows what will happen with parts there, and the prices now are a bit rediculous.
What are reasonable used costs for the A400? I want to try to get an apples to apples comparison since the AL 48 will most likely be bought used.
I think 3-400 for an older AL48 is fair if it's in good shape, for the "newer" AL48s you're looking at 7-800 bucks at least, since they were discontinued in 2012 (I think) and have a cult-like following among chukar/quail and grouse hunters.

I got lucky and scooped a late model from a buddy for $450 and felt like I got away with murder.

I think they're every bit the gun as a Montefeltro, and those are $1000 brand new.
I didn't realize the AL 48 was discontinued. I found a couple online places that still have stock, but they are selling for $1300. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were sub 750. There is one on Gunbroker, but it already is at 800 some with 5 days left.

Ultimately, I still need to swing a couple around and see what fits best, but at this point I think I've decided to sit around a grand for the budget. It would be nice to squeeze a used A400 or AL 48 for that price - probably will be waiting for a stroke of luck for that to happen.

Laramie

WKR
Just curious, why not shoot the one you inherited? I'm hoping the guns I eventually hand down get good use...

Sheepdog

FNG
I picked up a stevens 555 in 28ga for my daughter this fall. Now my wife’s wants one to use instead of her semi auto 20. I was pretty surprised by the little gun two. It’s light and shoots well. I picked it up for $475 at cabelas. The only issue I saw was the chokes it came with each had a small burr were they cut the intentions for the choke wrench. They were light and probably would have been gone after the first shot through them but I hit them with a quick round file anyway.

Im a SXS guy and have been primarily hunting with a cabelas imported Dickinson 28ga for a few years now. It’s a sweet little gun but around $1700.

since your reloading look at #7 nickel platted shot. It’s a hell of a performer especially in the 28ga. It’s all I’ve used for wild pheasant and prairie grouse the last few years. To me it seems to do better than #6’s and I’ve got more pattern density for the areas I might find quail as well. Then I switch to NP #8’s, for bobwhites anyways, scales I keep the #7’s.

fwafwow

WKR
Im a SXS guy and have been primarily hunting with a cabelas imported Dickinson 28ga for a few years now. It’s a sweet little gun but around $1700.
I've never heard of this brand before and will look it up. Thanks! It's pretty close to the bottom end of the Berettas. Any chance you have handled and shot those for a comparison?

Sheepdog

FNG
I’ve handled a coupledom their semi’s, silver pigeons(o/u) in a couple gauges, and one silver hawk a long time ago. The silver hawk was a SXS. I don’t remember what I didn’t like about it but I had the money in my pocket and put it down about as quick as I picked it up. The silver pigeons are good guns, but on the heavy side. They seem to be much more of a clays gun. To be fair though I’ve never seen or held one in 28 ga and the 20 ga’s are much better than the 12’s.

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
I'm now starting to waffle a bit.

I'm considering getting a 20ga instead. The end goal is to get a sub-gauge gun. This was going to be facilitated by having a 28 gauge Hornady 366, but I'm now thinking of buying a conversion kit for it if it opens up a number of guns at a cheaper or better price point.

For example, the Franchi Affinity 3 can be found for 750. I think I'd rather have that than some of the Turkish made, rebranded 28 gauges.

So, I'm open to any 20 gauge options as well, especially if it drops the price and gets me into a better gun.