28ga Upland Gun

For 3 shots it's hard to beat an sx-3 for a 20 ga.

Browning and Beretta make some nice doubles.

Really need to decide what you are looking for. A nice double for upland and skeet, or something to beat around a little more and be a meat gun.

Sheepdog

FNG
Turkish rebranded guns have been around for a long time. There’s a lot of convoluted info about where guns are really made. Franchi is owned by Benelli and there’s always been some disagreement as to where those guns are really made and by whom.

You should head to a clays range and shoot some different guns-semi, O/U, pump, SXS and some of the different gauges. The 28 ga is the sweet heart of the gauges for me. I’ve got several 12’s, several 20’s, one 16, and now two 28’s in the safe. I reload all of them. It’s cheaper to reload and shoot a 28 than all the rest. It’s also the one I enjoy the most, as well as my wife, daughter, and a few friends I work with. The next in line would be my 16 Ga fox sterlingworth. I’d get rid of my 20’s before anything else.

either way get what you like. Who cares what everyone else thinks as long as you like shooting it and it fits you well. If you get a kit to change gauges you can always switch it back. Or once you get tired of resetting everything up, find a used mec press online for cheap and set it up with one gauge and keep your Grandfathers presses set up with the others.

I picked up a stevens 555 in 28ga for my daughter this fall. Now my wife’s wants one to use instead of her semi auto 20. I was pretty surprised by the little gun two. It’s light and shoots well. I picked it up for $475 at cabelas. The only issue I saw was the chokes it came with each had a small burr were they cut the intentions for the choke wrench. They were light and probably would have been gone after the first shot through them but I hit them with a quick round file anyway.

Im a SXS guy and have been primarily hunting with a cabelas imported Dickinson 28ga for a few years now. It’s a sweet little gun but around $1700.

since your reloading look at #7 nickel platted shot. It’s a hell of a performer especially in the 28ga. It’s all I’ve used for wild pheasant and prairie grouse the last few years. To me it seems to do better than #6’s and I’ve got more pattern density for the areas I might find quail as well. Then I switch to NP #8’s, for bobwhites anyways, scales I keep the #7’s.
Does that 28g 555 hold 3" shells or just 2 3/4"? Manufacturer website doesn't specify. thanks

OP
R

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
For 3 shots it's hard to beat an sx-3 for a 20 ga.

Browning and Beretta make some nice doubles.

Really need to decide what you are looking for. A nice double for upland and skeet, or something to beat around a little more and be a meat gun.
After thinking for a bit, I'm definitely looking for something that I'm not going to be afraid beating up a bit. I want to view it as a tool, not so much as an shotgun that needs to be viewed as an heirloom.

With that said, I realize I can just get any old thing to get me out chasing birds. I don't want to have to worry about beating it up, but I also don't want to have to worry about reliability and tracking down spare parts if I would need them.
Turkish rebranded guns have been around for a long time. There’s a lot of convoluted info about where guns are really made. Franchi is owned by Benelli and there’s always been some disagreement as to where those guns are really made and by whom.

You should head to a clays range and shoot some different guns-semi, O/U, pump, SXS and some of the different gauges. The 28 ga is the sweet heart of the gauges for me. I’ve got several 12’s, several 20’s, one 16, and now two 28’s in the safe. I reload all of them. It’s cheaper to reload and shoot a 28 than all the rest. It’s also the one I enjoy the most, as well as my wife, daughter, and a few friends I work with. The next in line would be my 16 Ga fox sterlingworth. I’d get rid of my 20’s before anything else.

either way get what you like. Who cares what everyone else thinks as long as you like shooting it and it fits you well. If you get a kit to change gauges you can always switch it back. Or once you get tired of resetting everything up, find a used mec press online for cheap and set it up with one gauge and keep your Grandfathers presses set up with the others.
I appreciate your take. Thanks!

Sheepdog

FNG
Does that 28g 555 hold 3" shells or just 2 3/4"? Manufacturer website doesn't specify. thanks
I’m pretty sure it’s 2 3/4”. I’ll check tonight.

3” 28 ga shells are a pretty new thing with very limited manufacturing. Benelli is the only one that comes to mind with a 3” chambered 28ga. I’m sure there are others, just the only one that comes to my mind.

I'm 99% positive it's only Benelli with the 3" chambers.

I'll have to say, I don't see the point. If you want a 3" 28 just get a 20. It really defeats the purpose of the gun in my opinion. Then again I rarely use a 3" 20 ga, if I want that I use my 16 instead. And rather than a 3.5" 12, I just get my 10 out. It's a purpose built 3.5" gun, and kicks way less than any 12 with the roman candles.

Maki35

WKR
I live up in NY. Big game hunting was all I use to do, until a friend offered me to tag along on a pheasant hunt. He has 2 GSP (dogs). I've been a big fan of upland hunting ever since. Small game & bird hunting is a lot of fun. you have to give it a try, you might fall in love with it (it's a lot different than sitting in the cold waiting for a deer to show up. lol) I do recommend hunting with your friend that has a dog. It makes it a LOT easier. The dog does all the work (searching for birds.) You can try upland hunting on your own (I did, it's a lot of work/walking). Having a well trained hunting dog that can find/track birds is awesome.
I started hunting with a vtg 12ga pump that I inherited from my dad. I love that shotgun (every time I take it hunting I feel like my dad is with me.) I've purchased others in 12ga, 16ga and 20ga in pumps & autoloaders. My next may be a 20ga O/U Beretta Silver pigeon.
I have friends that upland hunt with O/U, SxS, auto loaders and pumps in all different gauges. Figure out what you like best. In my area there is a range that offers shotguns rentals. If you're undecided on the type of shotgun or gauge maybe you could try to find a range near you that offers rentals so you can get a feel for the various types of shotguns.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
After thinking for a bit, I'm definitely looking for something that I'm not going to be afraid beating up a bit. I want to view it as a tool, not so much as an shotgun that needs to be viewed as an heirloom.

With that said, I realize I can just get any old thing to get me out chasing birds. I don't want to have to worry about beating it up, but I also don't want to have to worry about reliability and tracking down spare parts if I would need them.

I appreciate your take. Thanks!
Take a look at the cz double guns. They aren’t as nice as say a browning or beretta, but that is to be expected at the price point. Ive shot a couple and while a little rough, not bad.
You can try and find a miroku marked gun, last time I looked Miroku’s were going for under a grand. Miroku builds the Citori so it is a quality gun and I believe uses the same internal parts.

I'm 99% positive it's only Benelli with the 3" chambers.

I'll have to say, I don't see the point. If you want a 3" 28 just get a 20. It really defeats the purpose of the gun in my opinion. Then again I rarely use a 3" 20 ga, if I want that I use my 16 instead. And rather than a 3.5" 12, I just get my 10 out. It's a purpose built 3.5" gun, and kicks way less than any 12 with the roman candles.
CZ 28s run 3", but your reply is neither a question nor an answer. It is wrong information and mindless drooling. Take it elsewhere.

CZ 28s run 3", but your reply is neither a question nor an answer. It is wrong information and mindless drooling. Take it elsewhere.

What?

My post is not incorrect as I didn't say anything as an absolute. Congratulations that you corrected me on the fact that you can get a CZ double that they have increased the chamber length on.

I'll still stand by my statement of it being a waste. I don't 100% believe in the square load theory but do believe their are attributes to the stack height to bore that helps with both patterns and shot string. The point of a 28 gauge is to be a lighter gun, both in actual weight and payload. Most use it to challenge themselves, I can assume that you are aware of that, but you know what happens when you assume.

Thanks for policing this thread. Hopefully nobody else expresses an opinion that you don't agree with and you would need to read through their drooling.

The CZ doubles are very good quality at the price point in my opinion. Worth looking into if a double interests you.
I have CZ double in .410, .28, .20, .16 and classic hammer 12.
I quail hunt and turkey hunt with my .28 guage and it is my favorite. I’m a little bit of sxs snob. I own LC Smith and Merkles I hunt with everything I own but I keep my pretty classics pretty. I beat on my CZ’s.
Now I’ll say this my .28 was firing both barrels with a single trigger pull at random. Sent it back and had it fixed in a month no issues.
My classic hammer 12 couldn’t hit anything. Like nothing
So I set it in a vise and shot paper. It was shooting 24”s low. I sent it back and 2 months later I got a brand new gun. Had to file to new paper work which in some states could be a pain.

Squincher

WKR
I have CZ double in .410, .28, .20, .16 and classic hammer 12.
I quail hunt and turkey hunt with my .28 guage and it is my favorite. I’m a little bit of sxs snob. I own LC Smith and Merkles I hunt with everything I own but I keep my pretty classics pretty. I beat on my CZ’s.
Now I’ll say this my .28 was firing both barrels with a single trigger pull at random. Sent it back and had it fixed in a month no issues.
My classic hammer 12 couldn’t hit anything. Like nothing
So I set it in a vise and shot paper. It was shooting 24”s low. I sent it back and 2 months later I got a brand new gun. Had to file to new paper work which in some states could be a pain.

A 40% return rate on new shotguns? Not really confidence inspiring.

I've had three CZ Bobwhite SxS shotguns. Still have my .410, resold the 28 at a profit, and gave my buddy my 20 gauge. For $300 to $500 shotguns...all three were bought used, I never had an ounce of trouble with them. Decent guns, and I flat out really like the .410 and shoot it very well, even shooting some flying grouse and and an opening day limit of pheasants in SD with it (careful shot selection...20 yd broadside shots off points).

A 40% return rate on new shotguns? Not really confidence inspiring.
I just gave my experience on what I’ve ran into Never said they where the best. However for $700 and less you won’t find anything that shoots as well. I have a mossburg sxs and it goes boom but doesnt shoulder well I had to change site and out a stock riser. I’ve owned Stoger also and it fell apart. The welded manual injector broke. Bought a new injector and had to machine it to fit. So I cut the barrel down and it makes a great snake gun When planting duck swamps.
If you want perfect gun buy a Merkel. For $7500 they insure it’s perfect.

Squincher

WKR
I just gave my experience on what I’ve ran into Never said they where the best. However for $700 and less you won’t find anything that shoots as well. I have a mossburg sxs and it goes boom but doesnt shoulder well I had to change site and out a stock riser. I’ve owned Stoger also and it fell apart. The welded manual injector broke. Bought a new injector and had to machine it to fit. So I cut the barrel down and it makes a great snake gun When planting duck swamps.
If you want perfect gun buy a Merkel. For $7500 they insure it’s perfect.

I agree that is about what should be expected at that price, but there are quite a few shotguns that work right for less than $7500.

Just got a "saleman's sample" Beretta A400 Xplor 28 ga with 28" barrel this week. Shot one round of skeet so far...excellent breaks, great handling shotgun with virtually no recoil. It only came with a modified and full choke (the cylinder was missing) so I just ordered Briley extended Sk and IC chokes along with an EZ Bolt Release today. It has the stiffest bolt release button of any auto I've ever shot but the Briley release lever will correct that issue. Other than that, it is a dandy little 5#8oz shotgun. Whatever shim package to adjust the stock drop and cast that is in it will remain as the fit is perfect.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
...If I were in your shoes, I'd get either a Franchi Instinct or a Beretta Silver Pigeon. ...
How do these two compare? I've got a 686 in 12ga and I really like it. I had been leaning towards getting another in 28ga, but the Franchi SL looks to be about $350 less expensive, has extended choke and would accept 3" shells.

Squincher

WKR
I've owned the Beretta, but only handled the Franchi.

The Franchi seemed a little rough. Stiff safety, kind of heavy triggers, and the wood to metal fit was mediocre. Honestly, I think it should sell for a few hundred less. But, the weight and balance were fine and it seemed to handle well, based only on a few "gun shop swings."

The Beretta is a well made, well finished shotgun in every respect.

While I would buy the Beretta, a guy who bought the Franchi might have something that works just as well, albeit it in a considerably less refined package. I think a lot of shotgun people place a premium on refinement, especially those who travel in the small gauge circles, and the Beretta has it all over the Franchi in that respect.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've owned the Beretta, but only handled the Franchi.

The Franchi seemed a little rough. Stiff safety, kind of heavy triggers, and the wood to metal fit was mediocre. Honestly, I think it should sell for a few hundred less. But, the weight and balance were fine and it seemed to handle well, based only on a few "gun shop swings."

The Beretta is a well made, well finished shotgun in every respect.

While I would buy the Beretta, a guy who bought the Franchi might have something that works just as well, albeit it in a considerably less refined package. I think a lot of shotgun people place a premium on refinement, especially those who travel in the small gauge circles, and the Beretta has it all over the Franchi in that respect.
Thanks. Having used the lowest of the Berettas, I'm fine with a well shooting gun without the engraving and other stuff that is irrelevant to whether I make the shot or not. The roughness of the Franchi is a good heads-up.

jpndave

FNG
I have a ~decade old Charles Daley Turkish 28ga 28" o/u and for the money it has been great. My wife and the kids (and all their friends) always want to shoot that gun when we go out. The 28 throws enough lead that it will break clays better than a .410 but still doesn't beat you up and inspires confidence especially in new smaller shooters. I have had several other Turkish guns through here and, again for the money are quite good.

I have two Beretta 686 silver pigeons on order with distributors; a 32" barrel 12ga and a 30" barrel 28ga though I keep wavering on the 32" over 30" for the 12ga. Like has been mentioned before, most 28ga are built on a 20ga frame and you lose that dainty feel. The Citori for example is a 20ga. Any multi caliber is going to be the larger barrel set sized frame including the Beretta. The 28ga only Beretta is a smaller frame. I have a friend that has a special edition Ruger O/U that is sublime, a real beauty to look and handle but they are difficult to find.

My favorite gun, make that favorite physical possession is a very early Fox 16ga AE with 30" tubes that weighs right at 6lbs. It it simply a dream to carry and shoot for upland hunting. The cast is perfect. However it can be rather abusive with clays, hence the Berettas. I have its near twin larger sibling in a Fox 12ga Sterlingworth ejector gun with 30" tubes also. Upland hunting I prefer the SxS with double triggers.

Last edited: