2B New Mexico Late Archery

Jaker_cc

WKR
Can some of the people that have had this tag or hunted this unit give me a reasonable expectation of the caliber of deer I should be looking for? I may never see this tag again and I want to make the most of it. I know weather and crunchy snow play a huge part in this hunt. Oilfield roads and locked gates are another issue I’ve heard of. I won’t be road hunting and will be truck camping and hiking into places. Planning on staying the entire season if need be

Please pm me if that makes you more comfortable. Thanks for your time

Austink47

WKR
You should see lots of bucks, but it is a very weather dependent area. It should not take long to see what type of bucks are around versus what’s special. One front can make a big difference. I am the wrong guy to talk score with. Don’t get to crazy trying to get away from roads and installations the deer like the grass they plant on disturbed areas. Bring your chains the roads get bad quick. Also be extra careful about where you are hunting, tribal land and unit boundaries can be tricky.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Anyone have any other advice for this hunt?? I’m planning on being there all season long unless I find and kill the buck I’m looking for.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Do not go with out chains for your truck! Your plan of getting off the road will get you away from 90% of the other hunters. You are correct about weather and snow texture. Pray for cold powder snow and lots of it. If you hike of the rds a few miles everyday to glassing points and it snows you should see bucks over 170" with a chance of bigger. Did I mention chains for your truck?

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Good luck Jaker, I’ve got the same tag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to you as well, I’m planning on being out there about mid day on the 30th. Are you camping or staying in town?? I’m flying solo after the first two days. If you get in a bind or need anything give me a shout.

Pm sent

Xmanjk

FNG
Good luck to the both of you hope to have that tag one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAM_D

FNG
Can some of the people that have had this tag or hunted this unit give me a reasonable expectation of the caliber of deer I should be looking for? I may never see this tag again and I want to make the most of it. I know weather and crunchy snow play a huge part in this hunt. Oilfield roads and locked gates are another issue I’ve heard of. I won’t be road hunting and will be truck camping and hiking into places. Planning on staying the entire season if need be

Please pm me if that makes you more comfortable. Thanks for your time
How did it go?