$2k budget for 280 AI build?

Max Draft

FNG
I'm looking for a new rifle that will perform well for deer-size game 99% of the time and maybe 1 elk hunt every few years. I've settled on the 280 AI caliber. Initially thinking a Christensen Arms Ridgeline, so my budget is $2,000 just for the rifle. I'd like it to weigh less than 6.5 lbs naked.

I'm curious though if it is possible to build a custom 280 AI with carbon fiber stock (maybe barrel, too?) for $2k. Thanks for the help.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you picked up a Remington 700 cheap, got a Bell and Carlson or H.S. Precision stock, and sent it off to Hart barrels for truing/rebarreling, you could probably sneak it in around the $2,000 mark. I am having a Remington 700 KS clone in 280 AI put together now. I am going to wind up a little north of your budget…

amassi

WKR

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say building off a Tikka action is your best bet, but you'd need to find one fairly cheap and do some gunsmith work yourself. Remington 700 action might work but they generally take some extra cash to true/blueprint.

Tikka Action (.270 or .30-06) $500
Prefit Carbon Fiber barrel $880
Mesa Precision Carbon stock $600
Total = $1980

*But you would need to remove/install barrel and bed action to the stock. Not sure about the weight but I'm guessing you'd be in the 6.5-7.0 pound range.

The Ridgeline or X bolt pro would be good also. Fierce makes a nice rifle but it's closer to 7 pounds.

Last edited:

Sako300

WKR
Christensen had a deal over the holidays, where the Ridgeline and your caliber was around $1699. Europtic

OP
M

Max Draft

FNG
I'd say building off a Tikka action is your best bet, but you'd need to find one fairly cheap and do some gunsmith work yourself. Remington 700 action might work but they generally take some extra cash to true/blueprint.

Total = $1980

*But you would need to remove/install barrel and bed action to the stock. Not sure about the weight but I'm guessing you'd be in the 6.5-7.0 pound range.

The Ridgeline or X bolt pro would be good also. Fierce makes a nice rifle but it's closer to 7 pounds.

Total = $1980

So, I could also buy a Rem 700 long action from gunbroker, an x-calibet prefit barrel, and a Carbon fiber stock? That's all the parts I need? Then just take to a gunsmith?

Ctb124

FNG
The ridge line is a great gun for the money in my opinion. Mine shoots .5 MOA all day.

Don’t forget bottom metal and as mentioned a trigger. Gunsmith will be $500 or more as well.

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Sent you an email. Just an example though of a recent rifle build for me. The exact barrel you referred to that I have for sale specs wise except in 6.5mm (6.5prc is what I ended up building), MCS T in carbon, Lone peak Ti medium action, bdl setup, and a TT trigger came out a touch under 7#. The bartlein CFW barrel is one reason for the additional weight due to the #13 and length. If I was on a 2K budget, personally I would look at a spotter style barrel (cost savings) and debate the length of the barrel needed. You’ll have extra weight to start with by choosing a long action caliber. There are ways to save weight in a rifle build that are costly (Ti actions being one) and ways that are not (sporter style barrel and shorter length).

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
So, I could also buy a Rem 700 long action from gunbroker, an x-calibet prefit barrel, and a Carbon fiber stock? That's all the parts I need? Then just take to a gunsmith?
Yes, but you will pay around $300 to blueprint/true the action on a R700 and there aren’t prefits made unless you’re using a barrel nut.

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
I’d buy that m48. If I hadn’t just bought a new rifle and scope I’d be swooping that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Both the m48 and 21 from nosler seem like pretty nice rifles, and nosler is a fan of 280AI.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I just went through this and ended up building a custom. Here's my comparison

Ridgeline -
Pro: $2k lightweight carbon fiber box rifle, ready to rock.
Con: Might shoot lights out, might not shoot worth a shit.

Tikka custom -
Pro: Should shoot pretty much anything well, Also $2k - Tikka T3X long action/bottom metal/mag - $615, Mesa Precision Altitude stock $625, Bartlein barrel $350-400, Kampfeld Custom fit/chamber/crown/engrave - $275 = $1915 before tax. For a couple hundred $ more you can make it totally custom with fluting and cerakote, etc. Kampfeld said the fit was good enough it didn't need bedding unless it throws flyers or shoots wild, it definitely does not. Also, I don't mind Tikka triggers.
Con: building a 280ai on a Tikka long action with a factory mag reduces the ballistic potential, if you reload and you're worried about it. There are replacement AICS bottom metals on the market, but my experience was they require more machine work to the action or it will have feed issues.

Hope that helps.

archp625

WKR

Total = $1980

Pretty accuarte but $500 is a little low on the action. You would always want to figure in some gunsmithing time as well.

I know it’s not a build but for that budget consider the savage high country with a nice optic. They will shoot with a lot of custom rifles at 1/3 the price.

Heck, my new X-bolt HCS 280AI shoots 3/4" MOA 3-shot groups with 2 of the 3 factory ammos I've tried with probably less than 30 rounds through it. And that's off homemade sand bags with me behind it. No doubt it would be much better with someone that can actually shoot. Haha.