2L vs 3L water bladders..what size should I go with?

Bcleck90

WKR
I currently just carry a Smartwater bottle on most of my day trips but I’d like to add a water bladder to the mix. Does anyone have a preference between the 2L and 3L bladders?

I have a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 pack that has a bladder sleeve..which I think will hold either size. Thanks in advance!

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I have both and fluctuate depending on what we have planned for the day. I have always drank a lot of fluids, so I run with more water than a lot of guys do. With that said, if we are planning a 1/2 day type of trip to just check things out in an area, I'll stay a little lighter weight and just fill the 2L. If we are planning a full day and it's hot in September, I fill the 3L and throw in my Sawyer Squeeze setup just to make sure I can stay sufficiently hydrated.

If nothing else you can always get a good quality 3L and only fill it for what you need for the day, but in the case of being away from a water source you can take all 3L.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Personally, I have both and fluctuate depending on what we have planned for the day. I have always drank a lot of fluids, so I run with more water than a lot of guys do. With that said, if we are planning a 1/2 day type of trip to just check things out in an area, I'll stay a little lighter weight and just fill the 2L. If we are planning a full day and it's hot in September, I fill the 3L and throw in my Sawyer Squeeze setup just to make sure I can stay sufficiently hydrated.

If nothing else you can always get a good quality 3L and only fill it for what you need for the day, but in the case of being away from a water source you can take all 3L.

Thank you for the detailed response. I typically drink a lot of fluids also so I was leaning towards a 3L but also thought about just carrying a 2L and continue to carry a water bottle. How do you like the Sawyer Squeeze setup?

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. It works well for me, but I think a lot of that depends on the area you are in. Where I go there are normally flowing streams around, so it's pretty easy to fill and filter. If you're pulling water out of an elk track, it may not work so well.

Difference in bladder weight is nominal. Go with the 3L and run it only as full as needed based on situation to save water weight.

If you are looking for brand recommendations, I am a big fan of Source bladders.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Difference in bladder weight is nominal. Go with the 3L and run it only as full as needed based on situation to save water weight.

If you are looking for brand recommendations, I am a big fan of Source bladders.

I’ve been looking at Source as an option. Any particular model you suggest?

I’ve been looking at Source as an option. Any particular model you suggest?

I have the tactical version. I use this guy.

Never had an issue with it apart from letting the valve/hose freeze. No issues once thawed though.

I had some grief with a platypus a while back and a camelback a long time ago. In fairness, it has been a few years since I bought one of those for hiking or hunting. (I still have a camel back for mountain biking)

I like the source valve. It closes and has a cover for extra protection. If you don’t go source. Make sure you get something that the hose disconnects from the bladder so you don’t have to reroute it to fill it. I also like the ability to open the end and clean it out if needed.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
I have the tactical version. I use this guy.

Never had an issue with it apart from letting the valve/hose freeze. No issues once thawed though.

I had some grief with a platypus a while back and a camelback a long time ago. In fairness, it has been a few years since I bought one of those for hiking or hunting. (I still have a camel back for mountain biking)

I like the source valve. It closes and has a cover for extra protection. If you don’t go source. Make sure you get something that the hose disconnects from the bladder so you don’t have to reroute it to fill it. I also like the ability to open the end and clean it out if needed.

That’s the one I’ve been looking at. I appreciate your help and insight. I believe I’m going to place an order for the 3L source tonight.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something I should’ve thought about before ordering!

JNDEER

WKR
I like to stay hydrated so I use a 3L and have it full for a 1/2 day hike or a full day hike. You never know how much you need water until you run out.

Mosby

WKR
If I am day hunting, I take a 2 liter plus a smart water bottle. If I am spending a few nights and will be filtering water, I normally take the 3 liter, so I have plenty of water going in.

I carry 2 - 3L platypus. It’s the only bladder I’ve never had break or leak. 4 seasons strong so far.
I run chlorine dioxide tabs which helps clean the bladders when filled.
I alternate one per day in the pack, so one is full back at camp.
Also, I have the platypus inline gravity filter system when I’m hunting with a client. The main reservoir is 6L and allows both me and the Client to have clean water “on tap” instantly

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always use a 3L and normally bring a 1L Nalgene as well. But I sure seem to shoot a lot of elk when I'm "just taking a quick jaunt into a spot for a quick morning or evening hunt", and don't have a full bladder or my Nalgene.

Measure out 2L into the bag and mark it so you'll always know how far to fill. After that its just fighting the temptation to absent-mindedly fill the bag till it's full.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Go bigger. After shooting an animal on an evening backcountry hunt and looking at 3+ hours to gut skin and packout, the extra liter or two is well worth the weight. I now carry a 6l and fill it to at least 4l every morning after learning a lesson on an evening buck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If I need 3L I carry 3 SmartWater bottles. If your bladder gets a hole in it you have zero water. The odds of me busting all 3 water bottles in slim, and they are far lighter than any bladder setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk