2L vs 3L water bladders..what size should I go with?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I need 3L I carry 3 SmartWater bottles. If your bladder gets a hole in it you have zero water. The odds of me busting all 3 water bottles in slim, and they are far lighter than any bladder setup.

How the heck is your bladder getting a hole in it? My bladder never comes out of the pocket I keep mine in, until after the season is over.

jspradley

WKR
When I used a bladder I prefered a 3L as I could fill it lower if I didn't think I would need as much water... which I always did because I drink a LOT when I'm hiking or hunting.

Now I use 2 nalgenes and sometimes a 2L Platypus bottle to carry any extra.

IMO bladders always make water taste like rancid ass and I like the fact that nalgenes make me stop for a few seconds to drink. Plus I can run my steripen with nalgenes

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I use the MilSpec Camelback bladders, or the Hydrapak Force so they are made of a thicker material and I don't have to worry about any holes. I still have a few bladders that were issued to me on active duty (which ended in 2006) that still have no holes and work fine. They don't all have openings that are conducive to back country hunting, but with all the use they have gotten they have still held up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
How the heck is your bladder getting a hole in it? My bladder never comes out of the pocket I keep mine in, until after the season is over.
I never said mine has, but I've seen them split at the seams from the pack being dropped and landing on them and popping them. You do you, I'll do mine my way. Bladders are heavier and my bottles fit perfectly in my stretch pockets and don't take up any pack volume.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use the MilSpec Camelback bladders, or the Hydrapak Force so they are made of a thicker material and I don't have to worry about any holes. I still have a few bladders that were issued to me on active duty (which ended in 2006) that still have no holes and work fine. They don't all have openings that are conducive to back country hunting, but with all the use they have gotten they have still held up.

You need to get the Camelbak adapter kit, then you can fill your bladder right through the drink tube with a water filter.

Attachments

• 100_3372.JPG
    100_3372.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 33

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
You need to get the Camelbak adapter kit, then you can fill your bladder right through the drink tube with a water filter.
I do. I meant from the side of being used as a dirty water bag or the like. Some of the old bladders are set up to attach in a very specific type of carrier and they don't all work in a regular pack, either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer squeeze
2L Cnoc squeeze bag for dirty water
Smartwater bottles (as many as I need given the situation).

I have a 2L camelback but I like to see how much water I am drinking and don't like having to "suck" through a hose.

The bags have to been cleaned, especially if adding flavor mixes. When my Smartwater bottle gets nasty after a while, just replace it with a new one.

I agree the bladder is greater weight to carry and all of your eggs are in a much thinner basket. Three 32oz water bottles and a good filtration straw or pump is the way we go with mountain elk hunts.

I like the 3l platypus I feel it up once in the morning and it lasts all day, I’m sure if you hunted in the sun it wouldn’t but works for me in the timber.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up picking up a couple of Source 3L bladders to try out. Planning on running a bladder and smart water bottle. Most of my hunting this year will be day trips or overnight camping from the truck so those two combined should fill my needs for now.