2man packable tent

wildcat33

WKR
I assume you're set on a tent (which makes good sense for summer camping with wife and kids) and you want it to be packable, my suggestion would be the MSR papa hubba NX. To me 600$ is still too expensive for my tastes but if you wait around for a 20% of REI card you get that down to 480$ it seems pretty good. 6lbs and has mostly solid side panels which will give you that late season protection that the mesh tents don't without the super reinforced weight of a true 4 season tent. I haven't used this specific tent but I have used other MSR tents extensively and they are typically excellent. I have found that MSR usually does a good job with rainfly fit, zippers, pockets etc. Even better find a used tent on ebay. I would caution against throwing down big coin on a hilleberg at this stage in the game.

No stove, I think the Exped Orion III is pretty great for the money. It is 4 season, and it might be a little heavy, but you can also set it up with just the fly for a light weight floorless option. If you want to go with something with a stove option, I would say either the Seek Outside Cimarron Tipi or the Jimmy's Tarp Hudson Tipi. PM me if you want to chat more.

OP
L

lif

WKR
I'm actually leaning floorless. Probably 4 man-6man rating

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm actually leaning floorless. Probably 4 man-6man rating

Funny how things go sometime.....one goes from looking for a packable 2 man tent to looking at a 4-6 man floorless. :)

My Vote:
RedCliff!

Last edited:
for the weight penalty I would go redclif as well. a lot more room and you can fit 4 adults comfortably. The Cimarron might fit 4 but you will be elbow to elbow laying down. Take a look at the Luna 6. same idea and kind of hits a sweet spot between the Cimarron and Redclif in my opinion.

If you get the redclif I don't think you will be disappointed. I love mine but can find it hard in the woods here in the east to find a spot for it to fit at times

OP
L

lif

WKR
I'm sorry I'm not clear. I need a floorless tent that can hold 2 very comfortably and 3 pretty well. I used the terms 4-6 man to describe the ratings that are put on them by the manufacturer. My trips will be with wife and son as well as more rugged trips with just myself and hunting partner. Sorry I'm confusing but im learning as I go and trying to connect what I need to the descriptions the companies give.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So you are looking to sleep 3 at the most? I could care less what the "rating" is as that varies a lot being manufacturers.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Yes sir 3 people max. Thanks for all the suggestions. I need them. Just want to make wise investment

Unless he ever wants to run a stove, then that's not even an option with the low melt point of cuben.

In the original thread he had stated that he was looking for a two person backpacking tent, I was assuming that he had no intentions of running a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
In the original thread he had stated that he was looking for a two person backpacking tent, I was assuming that he had no intentions of running a stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but he also started out looking for a 2 man tent and now he's looking at 4-6 man floorless 🤣

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
L

lif

WKR
I'm green as hell at back pack tent knowledge. I am pretty well set on floorless with ability to have two hunters comfortably. With stove capabilities. Obvious choices are kifaru and seek outdoors. Just want to weigh all options. Sorry I'm yoyoing. Just trying to learn.

sneaky

"DADDY"
don't forget Jimmy Tarps. Jimmy is on here, gobbler1962 I believe is his handle

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk