2nd big game rifle

OP
MuleyFever
Lever gun sounds fun. I killed my first deer with a lever 30-30.

I love the 280ai. I bought it as a do all rifle because yeah, it checks a lot of boxes. Its my only hunting rifle but recently I thought about what if something happened to it? I should probably have at least one back up.

I wont buy a magnum, just dont feel I need one and no need to deal with the recoil. I would rather not hunt with a break ( I have one now and I will probably remove it) and I dont plan to buy a suppressor any time soon. But yeah, looking for something I dont have to put much effort into that has a lot of factory ammo so hopefully I can find one that shoots good. I do want to stay light weight though, maybe try to find a Tikka Superlite or a Kimber Hunter, or....?

hodgeman

WKR
With the 280AI you're splitting the standard cartridges right down the middle. There's simply no point in getting a 6.5 or .270 nor a .308 or .30-06. The performance differences are just too slight to worry over.

In a bolt action, a 35 Whelen is likely the next and only factory ammo step that makes any sense. If you'd consider a magnum- a .300 or .338 would be a nice step up and give you some added performance.

Barring a magnum, a 45-70 or similar big bore would be a logical 2nd gun.

Stalker69

WKR
If the rifle your looking for is avalible in 6.5 prc, then that’s what I would get. If it’s not but it is offered in 6.5 creedmoor then I would go with it.
When a guy is looking at buying a gun, that he already admittedly has, ” logical “ choice kinda goes out the window. I have several guns in the same caliber, that to some may not sound “ logical “ or the best choice. Buy what you want, there are 200 other calibers that will do the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
A 6.5 CM makes sense for the ammo options alone. I just dont want to give up my man card.

I am tempted to just get another 280ai. My wife shoots a 7mm-08 so that option would cut down on ammo in the safe. I am thinking a Tikka would be a good choice as I could build a custom off it later if I wanted.

I have never looked at a 35 Whelen. Ill have to look it up. But I may not want that kind of recoil.

slvrslngr

WKR
As already stated, the 30-06 is exactly what you’re describing. Lots of options of rifles and factory ammo, plenty of performance for anything in NA.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have a .280AI, you have almost everything covered. Great all purpose cartridge.

My thought: 35 Whelen. I converted my 30-06 into a 35 Whelen. My .280 Rem and the 35 Whelen are the only rifles that go hunting for me anymore. The 35 gives me great knock down power without punishing recoil. Add a coyote/varmint gun and you have a complete North American set.

Midwayusa and all the other online ammo manufacturers carry 35 Whelen factory ammo, too. Mine shoots the 250 Grain Core Loct inside an inch at 100, and I could not believe the knock down power of that very basic round in the field. Does the same with the 200 Grain Barnes TTSX. I have not found a load that the Whelen does not shoot well, factory or hand loads. Clearly I am partial to it. You can get the same upgrade in a .338 Win Mag, or one of the Weatherbys, or going up to the .375 H&H. The difference, for me, has been in felt recoil and accuracy. For whatever reason, the 35 Whelen recoil is a lot easier on me than my .338 was, or the .375's I've shot.

A 6.5 CM makes sense for the ammo options alone. I just dont want to give up my man card.

I am tempted to just get another 280ai. My wife shoots a 7mm-08 so that option would cut down on ammo in the safe. I am thinking a Tikka would be a good choice as I could build a custom off it later if I wanted.

I have never looked at a 35 Whelen. Ill have to look it up. But I may not want that kind of recoil.

If buying a 6.5 CM makes you give up your man card, better get it renewed immediately, cause the one you have is counterfeit. 😁

OP
MuleyFever
What’s the barrel length on your 280AI? Maybe consider 308 if you want something shorter for versatility?

That is a consideration. I have a 24" barrel and something else with a 20" or even shorter barrel would be something different.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies in this exercise of possibilities.

That is a consideration. I have a 24" barrel and something else with a 20" or even shorter barrel would be something different.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies in this exercise of possibilities.

Lots of benefits in having another rifle in the same caliber! I’ve got several that shoot the same rounds.

Sounds like you already have the answer- another 280ai would be perfect as a back up! Even shoot the same ammo. What better way to have a backup?

If you want a different set up, lighter weight, shorter barrel get a 7-08 since you already have one as well (if you get a tikka get a long action cartridge since they all come with LA anyway. A tikka in 30-06 would have everything covered but so would a 270 or 6.5x55)

The other round not mentioned yet is a 6.5-284! Will work great on deer and elk, or go even old school and a straight 284 win, but factory ammo is hard to find.

Personally I would expand the gun safe! I like a magnum to reach out knock over an elk😆

HuntnPack

WKR
Consider a short barreled 6.5 PRC, suppressed. !! Shoot light or Heavy bullets.
Mild recoil, & Factory ammo typically shoots
Well. Custom loads available & also
Easy to hand load for.

OXN939

WKR
I wont buy a magnum, just dont feel I need one and no need to deal with the recoil.

6.5 CM the obvious answer. Lolol I always wonder how many people in the real world are actually convinced by keyboard warriors there's something wrong with it even though it's used by SOCOM and wins a large percentage of today's precision rifle competitions

7mm-08 is my next purchase for a back up. I bought my daughter a youth Rem model 7 in 7mm-08 and I love everything about that little gun.

Alrighty I'll throw another wrench into the toolbox how about a 338 federal, or I'm also with the guys who mentioned 45-70 or 444marlin lever gun!

turley

Lil-Rokslider
As the 280AI is a long cartridge I'd go short with a 7mm-08 and 20" barrel.